Symphony X

Avathar

Eternian
Jun 16, 2003
Perú
Visit site
Hmmmm... sorry if this thead has been treated already, and my first guess was "of course", but i went on this forum pages and I didn't find it as a thread, so y must ask....

DO ANYONE KNOW WHY THEY CHOSE THE NAME "SYMPHONY X"?
AND WHO'S IDEA WAS THAT??

just ignore me if this has been publicated before, but i always wanted to know...coz i'm a SX fan...

Avathar said:
there must be some story behind that name....

Taking from Michael Pinella interview:

Call it "X"

Therefore, once the frame is set, let's talk a little about Symphony X. The name expresses it all I think. The whole philosophy behind this type of music. You can name it the way you want. You can inquire into which their sources and influences are. You can concentrate on analyzing the players, their vast technique, the presentation, etc. But what really remains there at the end is a true Symphony of sounds difficult to catalogize with precision. A "whole". A continuum of music which simply manages to move one beyond words: Music with power. Music with feeling streams. Music made with the sensibility of an artist, in one word. That's why I see the "X" variable tag can constitute a quite appropriate definition for describing the intentions of this band: there's per se no need to be accurate describing what lies behind Symphony X music.

Hope this help :Spin:

I think Symphony X is one of the best names in metal. I think the "X" sounds very aggressive, dark, evil, angry, mysterious, mystical, etc. And Symphony describes their elaborate, dramatic and epic compositions...

Totally agree Shredi.

X has become so overused in recent years as a trend and ambiguous identity symbol. I'll start ad a list of 'X' titles that became a cliche of 90's culture

X Files
Planet X
X-Box
X-treme Games
Generation X

I won't put X Men or Symphony X in the list coz from what I know, theys penned their titles way before the X branding phenomenon got out of control.

wait, why arent you putting symphony x on the list? most thoughs things you listed are older, not to mention a bunch of other shit you didnt list. not x box and planet x of course though.

or the x-treme games, the x files were around the same time. Wait did you say most? read the post chump

Here's an idea that i had always thought of about symphony X. I realize that they have very orchestrated and complex, almost symphonic, music. Of all the classical composers no one ever wrote more than nine symphonies. By the time they all started working on their tenth symphony they had one foot in the grave. Now link that number ten with Roman numerals. The Roman numeral for ten is X. It had always seemed to me that Symphony X was simply being fesicious and flirtatious with disaster and curse to name their band after something that no composer ever finished. Tell me what you guys think. :OMG:

This is the first time I have revealed this, but this is the real story of the origin of the name "Symphony X." One day while I was finishing up giving Mike Romeo some tips on guitar playing and composition, he mentioned that he and some of his buddies were going to start a band. I told him that the name "Symphony X" had been revealed to me in a dream the night before, and that he could have it, since I had already decided to keep "Symphony W" for myself. He had talked about wanting me to be in the band, to make it a twin-lead setup, but he was worried that he wouldn't be able to keep up with me. I declined the kind invitation, since I was too busy inventing the internet and finding a cure for polio. I was also tired from ending World War II, writing "Paradise Lost" and painting the Mona Lisa. Soon after that, I freed the slaves in the southern US states. This was all after I created the universe, of course.

Heh....I guess the power of the "X" has overcome me. My two favorite bands of all time have it in their name. X-Japan and Symphony X, alas my message board ID lol! I can't decide which I like better just because X-Japan is lacking in song quantity, but if they had made more music I would definately like them more. If anyone is interested try listening to their 30 min masterpiece "Art of Life", it is prob my favorite song of all time. Well sorry for going off subject but I can't shut up at the mention of X-Japan.

Wait wait! I found the real answer!

I knew I had read somewhere Mike Romeo explaining the name, and I found the magazine. It's called 'Feast or Famine' and I got it at the first Prog Power. Inside was in interview with Romeo:

How did you get the "X" at the end of your name? Was it originally just Symphony?

"No we were just trying to think of a name one day. It was, I think, me, Pinnella, and Tom, were at my house, we were working on the demo, and we were like, "What the fuck are we gonna call the band?" Well we gotta do something symphonic, or classical, or something real big, or concerto or something. So it was like "What can be the other element, the other variable?" And someone said "X" and we're like, "Symphony X, yeah, cool, let's go back to writing now." We didn't even think about it. It just happened."

So there it is. Hard to beleive they would just pull a name out of their asses and stick with it. :)