TECH DEATH MIX FOR YOU TO TRY

like i said to metalfanat1c i know i shouldn't be expected to be the only guy rating these things just cos i started the thread, but still, i apologise. i liked your mix but i don't like the drums at all. too fake for me and the triggers fail sometimes on the snare. ive not got the option of listening to it through a good sound source (only my skullcandys) so ill give you a more detailed opinion of the sounds later. also im a semi noob so it would be good if OTHER people could rate some of these awesome mixes too.

Updated, better faster and stronger everything aswell as less clipping on the master ... :D

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8986797/Songs/AwesomeTechtrack3.mp3

these drums are nice, i wanna say something clever here with some tech vocabulary but i will have to put it simply - i wanna hear those drums sit back in the mix more, they stand out a bit TOO much and makes me concentrate on the snare too much and in turn realise that its fake. i know its difficult but if theres a way of making it all gell together im sure the snare would be less intruding.

loads of good stuff to listen to here and i will give my opinon but as im away from home right now with only skullcandy earbuds to listen to things with it would be great to see you experienced non-noobs having a say.

It's the crunch channel of the Peavey JSX boosted with a Maxon OD808. The bass is 50/50 JSX crunch channel (high passed at 100hz) and Ampeg SVX (low passed at 200hz).

:lol:

Do you mean you reamped it? or revalver? i thought it was podfarm but i guess it was just a familiar sound to me, i use the JSX on revalver as well. i gotta get me that Ampeg SVX, it sounds so chunky

these drums are nice, i wanna say something clever here with some tech vocabulary but i will have to put it simply - i wanna hear those drums sit back in the mix more, they stand out a bit TOO much and makes me concentrate on the snare too much and in turn realise that its fake. i know its difficult but if theres a way of making it all gell together im sure the snare would be less intruding.

Yeah sure, its in the first demo stage, the drums are way to far up, and the snare cracks like hell.
The funny thing on the other hand is that the drums are actually real ... I mean they where recorded and treated the way any other drum would be.
Did you probably mean theyre overproduced ?
I could understand that, they have somewhat of a plastic sound, but then again your track is fukking extreme and any other (more natural) drumsound would make it sound like a wall of shit was coming at you to say the least.

I'll work on it some more (especially vocals and guitars) and get something going, as I said I really like it when people post such quality stuff around here.

I reamped it. It's the real one.

sounds real nice. id love to hear your mix with better drums, theres a couple of midi tracks on here for SD2.0 and XLN, it might also be possible in a few weeks to mixdown the drum files separately if it makes life easier for people

EDIT: listening again more closely, yes the guitars are probably the best ive heard yet, but the vocals could do with some work, i don't know what exactly cos i've never done a good vocal mix, i tend to use an ozone preset or ezmix or something

Originally Posted by id3alism
just a quick mix for the fun of it. vocals still suck, i know.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2764370/medi...x-id3alism.mp3

this is one of my favourites that use the original drum track. can you tell me what you used for the guitars? sounds familiar...

It's the 6505 preamp of Revalver MKIII and a catharsis impulse. That's why it might sound familiar to you;)
Thanks for your reply!

Worked everything out some more, even added some detail touches, but im still not quite there ...
Vocals are really hard to get right on this one ...
Some of the flanger and lowpass stuff is just for fun, its obviously overdone :D

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8986797/Songs/AwesomeTechtrack6.mp3

yeah, no.

i understand the vocals are hard on this one, it's not even the final vox track, the singer is too hard to get hold of to get the latest file. the drums sounded better before, i think now the kick is too prominent and the snares buzz is eggagerated too much.

My first try http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10138888/UMF master.mp3

My first try. Should probably tone down the bass on the guitars and work more on the vocals.

I love how well this all is played btw :) Just awesome.

i agree you should get rid of some bass on the guitars, tighten up the low end in general, see if you can replace the drums too, my original files are loose and muddy.

thanks for the compliment, i tried to play as much of this perfect with as little cutting and editing as possible to make it sound natural

Hey I was just wondering what you use for your DI's? Thanks in advance for any info!

It was recorded a few years ago now but as i recall I used my Ibanez RG7321 with Seymour Duncan SH-1 59 (7 string) through an MBOX 2 mini and planetwaves cables. i used jazz III picks and elixir .11 strings. i was wearing jeans and a t shirt and i think most of the recording was done on a winter afternoon somewhere in Bolton UK. afterwards i watched Dog the Bounty Hunter and ate some chips. hope that's a specific enough answer for you.

What did you mean by "yeah, no" ?

I was kinda confused by the guitars and the low and higher riffage ... the 7string explains that one :D

Yeah, the vocals need some serious upgrade, and always remember to never put ANY effect on the stuff if you wan't it done by someone else, also avoid to cup the mic and/or do any other wierd shit with it ...
It would also be usefull to have it multitracked, one track vocals just don't cut it in times where even rappers multitrack the crap out of their tunes.
To the drums ... the "present but not annoying" thing is kinda the holy grail of production and certainly not to be achieved in a song of this speed.
I've worked some 275 bpm things on my own stuff and there it becomes even more evident that its really hard to avoid the drums being to present or sounding like Nile's Annihilation of the Wicked (one of my favourites btw.).
I tried to resolve this by putting them or to the back but adding low end, I guess thats what you hear when you say the kick is overpowering.
I'll try to get the MIDI track to sound more natural (taking some velocity on the blast's and changing some parts), we'll see how that will come along.

Btw., Whats up with double tracked guitars ?
Did I sweat it or didn't you do any ?