Tech Questions Thread

Its handy for me because I don't know how to do it the other way. But I rarely ever use pinched harmonics.

I pick normally I think. I did stumble upon the technique myself. I kind of knew how to do it before I knew what pinched harmonics were. I was just fooling around. But yeah when I tried to learn with the thumb way I thought it was hard, but then I figured out I got the same sound using my middle finger so yeah.

I pick normally I think. I did stumble upon the technique myself. I kind of knew how to do it before I knew what pinched harmonics were. I was just fooling around. But yeah when I tried to learn with the thumb way I thought it was hard, but then I figured out I got the same sound using my middle finger so yeah.

my friend does that as well.

Hm...I've found that learning to do pinch harmonics and adjusting my grip to keep my thumb near the string has improved my picking overall.

Another problem I've seen with this pick noise its the material of the pick.
Two picks I have, which are of the same material produce some undesirable noises but when I change picks, the noise increases or decreases depending in which material its made. Maybe its just the thickness of the pick or its just me.
And about the cable thing, for me the sound is very easy to distinguish with some very cheap cables and some good ones. I had some cable of a brand even the one who named it forgot about it. It didn't last 2 months and even brand new sounded horrible compared to other cables I had.

Is it possible to make a guitar neck out of bamboo, or is bamboo too weak?

I don't think it would be if you layered it. I'm sure the glue you would use would have to be really strong though. I might try it, maybe this summer. Bamboo is a great sound resonator.

And a question for anyone who knows a lot about audio stuff: Is there an equivalent of albedo (the amount of heat a material absorbs from light) for sound? I'm planning on making a studio, and I'm curious as to which material reflects the most sound, because I might make a reverb room for spacy Prog songs. Or mellow songs.

bamboo is hollow, it makes good wind chimes, I cant see a way it could be laminated to make a solid neck, it would be a bunch of odd shaped, half round shells and the possibility of the surfaces mating to make a good laminant seem slim, then theres always the headstock

the problems with a live room are bad harmonics, this is why studios make dead rooms. Effects are added after a recording, and the extremely large choice of reverb effects cant be beat. They are also highly tunable so you just keep choosing and tuning until you get the best desired sound. Its never to late to add or remove effects so long as you have the master tracks. You can choose what instrument you want what effects on, ect. ect. ect. endless high quality possibilities

bamboo is hollow, it makes good wind chimes, I cant see a way it could be laminated to make a solid neck, it would be a bunch of odd shaped, half round shells and the possibility of the surfaces mating to make a good laminant seem slim, then theres always the headstock

the problems with a live room are bad harmonics, this is why studios make dead rooms. Effects are added after a recording, and the extremely large choice of reverb effects cant be beat. They are also highly tunable so you just keep choosing and tuning until you get the best desired sound. Its never to late to add or remove effects so long as you have the master tracks. You can choose what instrument you want what effects on, ect. ect. ect. endless high quality possibilities

IAWTP.
Bamboo would be silly, and post-recording effects are really all you need.

You know it's a really hard job to cut titanium?
And it sounds like your pick will be too hard to bend and too thick.
If you want to cut titanium you will need a Diamond-saw or many thousand degrees to melt it.

Time for a playing technique question from a n00b.

In Dead by Norther during the pre-verse, what's the best way to pick it? Alternate pick the bottom E's? If you haven't heard the song, that section there is straight sixteenths and rather fast.