Technical Death Metal

I find that Oh My Fucking God by Strapping Young Lad has a similar effect :D

I also love Obscura mainly because of the guitarist. Christian Muenzner, I think his name is. He also appeared on the last Necrophagist album (a new one is overdue, don't you think?) and his solos on there were godly. His solo in Epitaph is one of my all time favourites, just perfection from beginning to end.

Fuck, if I could play guitar like that I'd have acheived all I'd ever set out to. I sooooo wish I was that good.

Hell yeah dude, but honestly the whole band is fucking ace, the frontman steffan kills it, he can play and sing SO fucking well, he's not the main soloist but he destroys. christian obviously pwns, and hannes...oh my fucking god i don't think i've ever been in awe seeing a drummer live besides maybe george kollias, he was so tight and fast i love his work. and of course paul thessling is a killer bassist, cosmogenesis has such an awesome balance of bass and guitars

Hell yeah dude, but honestly the whole band is fucking ace, the frontman steffan kills it, he can play and sing SO fucking well, he's not the main soloist but he destroys. christian obviously pwns, and hannes...oh my fucking god i don't think i've ever been in awe seeing a drummer live besides maybe george kollias, he was so tight and fast i love his work. and of course paul thessling is a killer bassist, cosmogenesis has such an awesome balance of bass and guitars

Fuck yes. The solo in The Anticosmic Overload gets me every time. Christian is one of my favourite players, I think he's possibly even slightly better than Mohammed, but it's subjective I guess. I definitely prefer his tone, and I think his solos are ever so slightly more memorable. Fucking ace player, I would kill to be that good.

I particularly like the little sweep lick at 3:12, wish there were tabs for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive been giving the old cryptopsy stuff a hammering lately.. particularly none so vile, what a fucking awesome album! Is cryptopsy considered tech death? I would imagine it is.

Ive been giving the old cryptopsy stuff a hammering lately.. particularly none so vile, what a fucking awesome album! Is cryptopsy considered tech death? I would imagine it is.

I would say it is a mix between tech and brutal death, but who gives a shit it basically revitalized death metal in the mid 90's.

I would say it is a mix between tech and brutal death, but who gives a shit it basically revitalized death metal in the mid 90's.

Fuck oath! The first time i listened to none so vile i couldnt believe it was from 1996, its still so fucking heavy even by toddays standards.

Anyone who likes Brain Drill needs to get fucking shot.

My friend told me that they are brutal for the sake of beign brutal. Nothing remarkable or entertaining.

For the technical death metal part, the Aeon of Horus was the last thing I've heard from this genre. Good stuff, although I wouldn't call them death metal. Anata is more death-ish.

Gotta say can't believe no one mentioned Deeds of Flesh "Of What's to Come" Absolutely amazing album. And the new Spawn of Possession demo is on their myspace.

I also play in a tech death band. Drummer is only 15. Link below check it out.

Suffocation are pretty fucking technical with all the time changes and complex song arrangements, are they not considered 'tech death'? I ask because I don't know the difference too well between normal DM and this.

Gotta say can't believe no one mentioned Deeds of Flesh "Of What's to Come" Absolutely amazing album. And the new Spawn of Possession demo is on their myspace.

I also play in a tech death band. Drummer is only 15. Link below check it out.

that's a great album man, waters of space is so awesome

Not sure about their other releases, but Decrepit Birth's "Diminishing Between Worlds" is a sweet Tech DM album.

yup, odious mortem is another really good one, basically same core band is in both decrepit birth and odious mortem

Suffocation are pretty fucking technical with all the time changes and complex song arrangements, are they not considered 'tech death'? I ask because I don't know the difference too well between normal DM and this.

Dude its a very fine fucking line. As if regular death metal isnt technical enough, they go and make a sub genre called tech death. lol. Then there is the bands that fall in between like suffocation, nile and cryptopsy.