Technical Death Metal

'Big words' don't make a lyricist articulate - using complex language in complex ways to create coherently meaningful poetry is. Slayer remains one of the most lyrically sophisticated bands in metal, and Araya has always been a major player in that.

Slightly off-topic question but if your assertion is indeed true isn't it kind of ironic that Slayer is known for having some of the most idiotic fans not only in metal but in music as a whole?

i don't have the same opinion... i think you need to listen bands like coprofago and sikth to enjoy this way of technical death metal

Checking out Coprofago, the song Chaos. Reminds me of Meshuggah. Sounds terrible. I hate that style with the

squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee....
chug chug chug chu chu chu chug chug chug chu chu ...

I liked the jazz break, but that's all.

With almost exclusively muted riffing the music doesn't hardly breath and covers no distance and I hate that.

Actually when they hit the jazz parts I like them, but there's no way I can stand getting through all that suffocatingly boring muted riffing. I'll just listen to some jazz.

You guys might like Corpulate. They make a big deal about being influenced by Jazz. Normally I think that's bullshit and I didn't really like them, but some here might.

Not bad. I am not a fan of the overall grindcore sound, including sub-woofer vocals. I can enjoy it for a little while, but not typically a full album. If you play it low enough you can't even tell there are vocals :)

Badass album cover art though.

I like some of the stuff from Sikth, but they have something that is reminding me of some hint of core, maybe the screamy vocals. That just ruins a lot of stuff for me. I'll have to keep listening to see if my brain adapts to it.

...I don't know. The song Bland Street Bloom almost sounds like a highly technical incarnation of Killswitch Engage or something...

Yea, their new album is ridiculous. Sounds a lot like newer Sceptic.

How do you rate Internal Complexity compared to Blind Existance/Pathetic Being?

I play bass. I like when the bass, sound bassy. Not jazzy. I like when it's dark and provides lowend. I also hate when people do like bass leads. Sounds like shit imo.
I agree with the bass tone. I love it when bassists do leads if it's done well. Like some bassists like Atheretic's or Cryptopsy's are playing maaaaaaaad shit in the background, and a lot of people don't like it, but I don't mind it.

I really like it when the bass does a short melodic lead.

pestilence-testimony of the ancients & spheres
brutality - screams of anguish
gorguts - all
cynic - focus
atheist - all
nocturnus - the key & thresholds
demilich - nespithe (crappy vocals..)
sadist - tribe & above the light

assuming that you've listened to death,morbid angel,immolation etc...start with these...you'll really wont need smth else..

In other tech death related news Drottnar is pretty awesome!

Welterwerk is indeed a master album of technical blackened death metal. So damned good!

RE: Demilich's vocals...keep trying, you will eventually come to find that the odd, bizarre, macabre vocals definitely fit in with the odd, macabre, bizarre riff writing and song structures!

It has nothing to do with their ability to play, and everything to do with the fact that most bassists simply don't have the musical sensibility to play complex material within a band context.

Good musicianship = good music sensibility

Good musicianship to an extent has nothing to do with how amazing one is at pulling off stunning techniques and shredathons here and there, but how well one can arrange and have a good 'ear' for music. Burzum being a good example. Not that you were suggesting this in anyway, but I said it anyways.

I have said this over and over again and I'll keep saying it, steve digiorgio is the best bassist of all time in metal both in playing with taste and incredible technical abilities.

I have said this over and over again and I'll keep saying it, steve digiorgio is the best bassist of all time in metal both in playing with taste and incredible technical abilities.

Steve DiGiorgio has never been involved in a single project of any substantial merit. He's also one of the worst offenders in the in dick tripping department: he has no sense of musicality whatsoever.