Tension Watch

kaomao said:
Well we used Tension watch on our pearl drumkit, but with that damn thing we couldn't fine tuning all skins.
I mean ears are really better, my bro (the drummer) can get a good tuning with just his ears, it's not that difficult to obtain a killer drumkit by ears, ok tension watch is useful but ears are even better to me, it's faster.
Maybe there are better tension watch, tama's one didn't like that much

Maurizio

edit: Nice avatar Brett, is it from a commercial, right?

d'oh, kaomao... pretty much everyone his disagreed with you so far, even Andy... and i'm sorry to say i have to do it to you as well... i got the Tension Watch about year ago and i love it.... and my clients have not failed once, since i got mine, to thank me profusely for getting the their kit sounding better than it ever has before.. literally. Yes, you have to use your ears... but the tension watch does something your ears cannot... it makes the timpanic pressure of the skin EQUAL across the entire head... which makes for a very even, consistent tone no matter where on the skin you strike... and the notes just sound more "pure", IMO.

spent about 2 weeks with the one we bought, and REALLY had no luck with it...we followed the manual, and the drums tuned the way it suggested just sounded horrible

tried going a bit higher, and then a bit lower; same result...i was really let down, because i had high hopes that the days of my drummer's toms always sounding like crap would be over

James Murphy said:
d'oh, kaomao... pretty much everyone his disagreed with you so far, even Andy... and i'm sorry to say i have to do it to you as well... i got the Tension Watch about year ago and i love it.... and my clients have not failed once, since i got mine, to thank me profusely for getting the their kit sounding better than it ever has before.. literally. Yes, you have to use your ears... but the tension watch does something your ears cannot... it makes the timpanic pressure of the skin EQUAL across the entire head... which makes for a very even, consistent tone no matter where on the skin you strike... and the notes just sound more "pure", IMO.

Totally agree I took one on tour and gave it to the drum tech on the fist date. Within minutes every drum tech and drummer in the room was watching the main kit get tuned and listening in awe. Its as if the simple creatures has all had their lives changed. I thing the text day Tama sold at least 5 more of these things. Wouldnt go to a session or a tour without one.

cobrahead1030 said:
spent about 2 weeks with the one we bought, and REALLY had no luck with it...we followed the manual, and the drums tuned the way it suggested just sounded horrible

tried going a bit higher, and then a bit lower; same result...i was really let down, because i had high hopes that the days of my drummer's toms always sounding like crap would be over

Maybe your drummer or his kit are crap? Or both? A shitty drummer can make a great kit sound awful ... (same with any other instrument).