Terrible Albums By Bands You Love

CiG

Deformed Urban Pustule
May 22, 2015
W.A.
rateyourmusic.com
I was watching some Youtube videos and stumbled across a video on this topic and thought it would be interesting to see what everyone says.

A few albums I can think of that I do think are shit by bands I love or like a good chunk of their material are:
  • Octagon by Bathory
  • Roots by Sepultura
  • Same Difference by Entombed

I couldn't really think of too many right off the bat honestly.

Reactions: Phylactery
Morbid Angel - Heretic (boring and uninspired) and Illud Divinum Insanus (a joke).

Emperor - Prometheus. Overwrought and pretentious. While I don't love any of their material beyond the debut, the others are listenable if somewhat mediocre. Prometheus is garbage.

Slayer - Divine Intervention (yeah, it's fast, but it's not very good, IMO)
Metallica - St. Anger ('nuff said)
In Flames - Siren Charms (I can deal with them being more metalcore and even nu-metalish, but to try to be a heavy U2?)
Pantera - Reinventing The Steel (Phil's drug issues got worse and it showed)
Iron Maiden - Fear Of The Dark (very weak album)
Judas Priest - Ram It Down (That damn Johnny B Goode cover was awful - thank God they released Painkiller after that!)

Alice Cooper's Dragontown and Maiden's Virtual XI are the only ones I can think of. I love the peak material of many more bands that would later release shit, but I don't think a few strong albums early in a career followed by multiple decades of crap qualifies for a favorite band.

Reactions: CiG
Slayer - Divine Intervention (yeah, it's fast, but it's not very good, IMO)
Metallica - St. Anger ('nuff said)
In Flames - Siren Charms (I can deal with them being more metalcore and even nu-metalish, but to try to be a heavy U2?)
Pantera - Reinventing The Steel (Phil's drug issues got worse and it showed)
Iron Maiden - Fear Of The Dark (very weak album)
Judas Priest - Ram It Down (That damn Johnny B Goode cover was awful - thank God they released Painkiller after that!)

What do you think about Battles then? It's even worse than Siren Charms.

My two biggest offenders are Virtual XI and Octagon, everything else by Maiden and Bathory are atleast good and most of the time awsome, but those two albums aren't.

Other then that I can think of quite a few that are obviously sub par to the rest of the band's output but not terrible or anything.

Examples of that:

Katatonia - Last Fair Deal Gone Down (tbh I haven't really heard their post 2010 outputs, so they may be worse)
Dissection - Reinkaos (well it is borderline bad)
Summoning - Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame (great album, but doesn't hold up to the rest of their discography)
Nokturnal Mortum - Nechrist (same a LMHSYF)

Reactions: CiG
I like The Astonishing. Admittedly I still haven't heard it to the end because it's a billion hours long but it's so corny I just can't hate it. And it actually has moments I remember like BURNING ROSE, SECRETS SOLD, MOMENT OF BETRAAAAYYYYAAAALLL unlike On the Backs of Angels and the s/t, both of which I literally cannot remember a single fucking moment of.
Train of Thought is also shit, as is the second disc of 6DoIT.

Sigh - I love both their early black metal work and their later experimental stuff, but some of their recent albums have been really bad. Hangman's Hymn is like a bad Dimmu Borgir album and everything with Mikannibal is shit except Scenes From Hell and a few songs on In Somniphobia.

Iron Maiden - I like every album they ever put out except Virtual XI and The Book of Souls.

Pretty much every band with more than say 6 albums has one of these?

I can only think of bands with small discographies where I liked every album

Train of Thought has some serious high points though dude. I can see not liking some of the songs easily but as an album it's decent

Reactions: Dak
In Flames - A Sense of Purpose

I'm weird in that I like everything In Flames did through Come Clarity. After that I lost complete interest.

I would also say that while I like Rocka Rolla, it's definitely a weaker Priest album. The way their albums progressed songwriting wise and their growth as musicians on each subsequent album is just amazing to hear.

Reactions: Dak