Later work by respected bands

Life Sucks said:
Some other bands that I think really went to shit in their later career:

Amorphis - So what, they started playing ambient goth-rock.
Atrocity
Sentenced - See Amorphis.
Hypocrisy - I don't hear much of a difference. Maybe you're talking about Catch 22?
In Flames - Yup.
Cancer - Kinda.
Tiamat - Uh-huh.
Sigh
Gorefest
Carcass - Maybe just Swansong.

With Hypocrisy I was talking about Catch 22, I haven't heard The Arrival yet. And with Carcass, I was just talking about Swansong. Cancer's last CD, Black Faith, sounded like alternative, grunge influenced metal. I personally do not like the new Amorphis, as much as I like their first two CDs.

Life Sucks said:
With Hypocrisy I was talking about Catch 22, I haven't heard The Arrival yet. And with Carcass, I was just talking about Swansong. Cancer's last CD, Black Faith, sounded like alternative, grunge influenced metal. I personally do not like the new Amorphis, as much as I like their first two CDs.
I didn't mean to sound like I was personally attacking your post.

I agree, Catch 22 was pretty damn bad. Quasi-hardcore-type-stuff that sounded really angular and weird. The Arrival is pretty good.

I don't mind the newer Cancer.

I like the new Amorphis, but I can see why fans of 1,000 Lakes or Karelian Isthmus might not like them. Did you like Elegy?

I actually haven't checked out Elegy yet. I only have the first two albums and downloaded some of the new stuff because I was curious. Is Elegy still metal, or is it more like the new stuff?

I think that Edge of Sanity, no matter how good Unorthodox and Spectral Sorrows might be, took a small dip with Purgatory Afterglow, then hit their peak with Crimson, one of the later albums of their career.

One question:

How can you possibly think Sigh went to bad later in their career?

Imaginary Sonicscape is one of the most different and amazing albums I've heard.

V.V.V.V.V. said:
One question:

How can you possibly think Sigh went to bad later in their career?

Imaginary Sonicscape is one of the most different and amazing albums I've heard.
It has some catchy parts, but it sounds like metal mixed with disco and acid rock for the most part, and the mix doesn't really work out most of the time. But that is just my opinion.

I like Edge of Sanity.

Life Sucks said:
I actually haven't checked out Elegy yet. I only have the first two albums and downloaded some of the new stuff because I was curious. Is Elegy still metal, or is it more like the new stuff?
Elegy is a mix of 1,000 Lakes and Tuonela, but the riffs are still heavy and there are death vocals.

anonymousnick2001 said:
I don't mind the newer Cancer.

Have you heard Corporation$? One of the new tracks is a try to do some bad sounding Fear Factory shit. There's a live in the studio re-recording of 'Witch Hunt' that's cool and there's a live in the studio cover of 'Detroned Emperor' thats cool too. And then there are 2 techno remixes of some new shit, it totally sucks ass... Stokes and Walker can do what the fuck the want to, I just wish they would change the band name...

Life Sucks said:
Elegy is almost like a half/half mix of metal/prog sound, with significant folk influences on the sound too. Overall, it's their last album with more metal than non-metal influence on their actual sound. I, personally, love the album and consider it Amorphis's best work by far.