Later work by respected bands

MURAI

-
Nov 6, 2002
Canada
Usually earlier works by respected metal bands are praised and it's the opposite for their later work. I think sometimes listeners have to give them a break and not expect bands to create classic albums everytime but yes I agree that some of their later works have turn to shit.

So what do you think of the later work by these bands:

Entombed - I like both their earlier death metal and later death n roll work.

Morbid Angel - Heretic and Gateways To Annihilation I think are good albums.

Obituary - Like most I feel Slowly We Rot and Cause of Death are thier best works but I do like their later work other than their last one Back From The Dead because I found it to be bland.

Sepultura - I prefer Max Cavalera era work much more than their work with Green but I do like Against.

Slayer - Their work up to Seasons In The Abyss is praised highly by everybody. I like Divine Intervention and I dont think God Hates Us All is as terrible as it is made out to be. I find it just sounding like Hatebreed and bland but not terrible.

...and Oceans first two releases were absolutely godly symphonic black. With that said, their recent few albums haven't been bad for what they are.

God Hates Us All is well beyond being bad metal; it's outright mallcore.

Listening to the new Morbid Angel albums is like having your brain prodded with a Q-Tip.

I hate the death & roll junk.

Demiurge said:
I hate the death & roll junk.

What the fuck is Death & Roll anyway? When I heard Entombed's "Inferno" I distinctly heard throwback late 80's Hardcore/Punk with a really fucked up guitar tone.

Virgin Steele improved by about 500% later in their career.
Grave Digger as well.
Saxon are currently releasing awesome albums.
Tad Morose improved vastly album by album as their career progressed.

I actualy enjoy Morbid Angel's Heretic more than anything they've released since Altars of Madness (which is my favorite)... pretty weird I rekon.

The song placements on Heretic are very strange. Tucker is a horrible vocalist. That aside, it's a competent album. Intricate guitar/drum work and some downright evil songs. There won't be another Blessed..., and even still, this album is better than most death metal coming out these days. (Is Gorguts going to release anything soon?)

Was never a big fan of those other bands.

GHUA was shit. So were DiM and Undisputed Attitude.

Divine Intervention was ok. But you may as well just listen to Seasons.

Morbid Angel - I only like Altars of Madness and Blessed are the Sick.

Sepultura sucked the balls post Max. Roots was a bit boring as well. Arise and BTR were the best of their works. I think these albums were what defined the band. Beyond these they became too sludgey and repetitive.

Not really into Obituary or Entombed that much. LHP was ok, as was Cause of Death.

Death - fantastic all the way up until their last work. Symbolic is my favourite .. killer album.

Although a shame, its not suprising bands release rubbish in the later days of their careers. It is no doubt difficult being creative and apt in writing music for a period of 20 years or so. However, I think the worst part about the bad music these bands release is the fact that they will want to play the songs they have written on these shit albums, on tours. Fair enough, you don't have to buy their releases, but when you are tortured with songs off GHUA at concerts, its just cruel.

Azagthoth is the Malmsteen of death metal. He manages to paste together self-indulgent riffs, but nothing resembling a cohesive song. Pete Sandoval exemplifies all that sucks about metal drumming(tick tick tick tick). I find that "Heretic" is completely uninspired, as are their last few things. If this band had just stopped with "Blessed Are the Sick", i'd have a great deal more respect for them.

Demiurge said:
He manages to paste together self-indulgent riffs, but nothing resembling a cohesive song. I find that "Heretic" is completely uninspired, as are their last few things. If this band had just stopped with "Blessed Are the Sick", i'd have a great deal more respect for them.

I feel the same way about Heretic. I personally think they started to go downhill after Covenant(it has a song or two from their demo days, and the other songs on it are pretty good too). Plus the tick tock is fucking annoying. Some drummers only trigger the bass, but he triggers his whole fucking kit. Just annoying.

Black Sabbath's early work wasn't Metal mainly because of the vocalist. Sabbath's later work was very heavy, proper Metal and had great vocalists.

Later Therion I like just as much as early Therion but for different reasons.

Under a Stone said:
Though i enjoy Therion's death metal era more, i find what they are doing nowadays pretty decent.

I like their symphonic stuff a tiny bit more, actually. Especially Deggial and Vovin.

Profånity said:
Black Sabbath's early work wasn't Metal mainly because of the vocalist. Sabbath's later work was very heavy, proper Metal and had great vocalists.

Fuck Ozzy's vocals, Black Sabbath was HEAVY METAL because of Tony Iommi's "HOLY SHIT THOSE ARE HEAVY AS FUCK" riffs.

Hmm, I wanna know what people think of Demigod's Shadow Mechanics. I hear Slumber of Sullen Eyes given alot of praise. I recently acquired Slumber of Sullen Eyes and I think it's excellent midpaced death metal but I'm little edgy on getting their latest, Shadow Mechanics. Is it as good as Slumber, of even if it is not, is it a good album?