Later work by respected bands

I haven't heard it - I was a bit late getting into Demigod myself and haven't really explored them properly yet, but it is apparently pretty bad.

anonymousnick2001 said:
Come on now, Profanity. For the last time, Ozzy was METAL.

So you can honestly tell me that any song other than Sabbath Bloody Sabbath is Metal?

and even SBS although the music is very Metal, the vocals turn it into Pop Rock.

You don't deserve the gift of life, Profanity.

Generally, most people have a preconceived notion of what a band is supposed to sound like. When said band makes a change in direction of sound, then all hell breaks loose. Certain changes do warrant such bitching, but many do not. Metallica would be a great example of the former, while Slayer fits the latter. I don't really care for Entombed's new work, but I haven't given it a real chance either. Morbid Angel I still like though not to the extent of the David Vincent albums.

Profånity said:
Slayer were a good Metal band who've turned into Nu Metal just like Metallica.

God Hates Us All and Diabolus In Musica were both horrible albums (the latter being the worst) but nowhere near the abomination that was St. Anger.

At least God Hates Us All had a few Thrash songs.

EDIT: By the way, grow some ears and listen to "Into The Void" and "Symptom Of The Universe".

I like Load and Reload as much as I like Ride the Lightning (Metallica). Same with most bands, including In Flames.

I don't expect a band to come out with the same classic albums every time, that's boring.

I was kidding. Trying to make a point that all early Sabbath is metal, except for maybe a few songs off the s/t.

Demigod - Shadow Mechanics is utter bull, but I got it cheap off ebay so I'm not too bothered.

I have noticed though that it's a recurring theme that everyone tends to favour a band's earlier releases compared to their later releases. As someone stated before I guess its just because when a band first starts up they're usually bursting with ideas for riffs, fills, beats, lyrics etc... but as the band goes further and further on through the years those ideas get used up and it requires a pretty hard to find talent to keep the band interesting, fresh and just...excellent.

Some bands that I personally think have that talent are My Dying Bride and Enslaved. I'm bound to get flamed by people saying My Dying Bride are boring, too gothic, dull etc.. But quite frankly if thats the case then you can lick my pork sword and I think Enslaved have evolved brilliantly.

Oh by the way. GoD - I recently aqquired Graveland - Thousand Swords and the cover is different to the one in your avatar. My one is this (but in colour)..

http://www.ssmt-reviews.com/images/graveland/thousand.jpg

Just wondering if yours is a limited edition one or they just happened to release it with two different covers or something?

Profånity said:
Black Sabbath's early work wasn't Metal mainly because of the vocalist. Sabbath's later work was very heavy, proper Metal and had great vocalists.

Later Therion I like just as much as early Therion but for different reasons.

Great response. Dio and Martin made great albums with Sabbath. Another oldschool band (not quite that oldschool) like that was Metal Church. Their stuff with Howe ripped.

Bryant

Bryant said:
Great response. Dio and Martin made great albums with Sabbath. Another oldschool band (not quite that oldschool) like that was Metal Church. Their stuff with Howe ripped.

Metal Church definitely started to rule later on.

I'm not one of those guys who sits on his ass saying "OMG OZZY WAS THE BEST, LOL DIO IS TEH GEIGH." I prefer the Dio era the most actually. Tony Martin (Eternal Idol and Tyr are classics) and Ian Gillan were great as well (Ray Gillen also- he was on an excellent demo). But to say their period with Ozzy wasn't Metal....It laid the fucking foundations for Metal.

Listen to the main riffs of "Symptom Of The Universe" and "Into The Void"....THOSE ARE THRASH RIFFS! And the fast section of "Into The Void" with that drum work...nothing else fucking sounded like that. The song "Black Sabbath" has stood the test of time and is still one of the most brooding and evil Metal songs ever created. Sure, Sabbath still had their acid-rockish/70's prog moments (The Wizard, Sweet Leaf, Planet Caravan, most of Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Volume 4, and the crappy Technical Ecstasy and the crappier Never Say Die), but they were foundational Heavy Fucking Metal.

Listen to the main riffs of "Symptom Of The Universe" and "Into The Void"....THOSE ARE THRASH RIFFS! And the fast section of "Into The Void" with that drum work...nothing else fucking sounded like that. The song "Black Sabbath" has stood the test of time and is still one of the most brooding and evil Metal songs ever created. Sure, Sabbath still had their acid-rockish/70's prog moments (The Wizard, Sweet Leaf, Planet Caravan, most of Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Volume 4, and the crappy Technical Ecstasy and the crappier Never Say Die), but they were foundational Heavy Fucking Metal.
I concur.

Profånity said:
So you can honestly tell me that any song other than Sabbath Bloody Sabbath is Metal?

and even SBS although the music is very Metal, the vocals turn it into Pop Rock.

Realize the era Black Sabbath were in dumbass!! They werent doing death metal back then! What they fuck do you think Ozzy SHOULD HAVE sounded like?? Thats just the way Ozzy sounds. Every one from that era could be called pop rock now a days. Show some intelligence. God damn.

None_So_Vile said:
Some bands that I personally think have that talent are My Dying Bride and Enslaved. I'm bound to get flamed by people saying My Dying Bride are boring, too gothic, dull etc.. But quite frankly if thats the case then you can lick my pork sword and I think Enslaved have evolved brilliantly.
Agreed, especially when it comes to Enslaved. Neurosis would be another excellent example of a band who has evolved brillianty.

None_So_Vile said:
Oh by the way. GoD - I recently aqquired Graveland - Thousand Swords and the cover is different to the one in your avatar. My one is this (but in colour)..

http://www.ssmt-reviews.com/images/graveland/thousand.jpg

Just wondering if yours is a limited edition one or they just happened to release it with two different covers or something?
Don't worry, you got the better cover anyways. I'm not sure but I believe yours is the original cover, and GoD's avatar is the rerelease....