Later work by respected bands

Profånity said:
Black Sabbath's early work wasn't Metal mainly because of the vocalist. Sabbath's later work was very heavy, proper Metal and had great vocalists.

What, The vocalists after Ozzy were cheezy as hell and sounded like powermetal. Early BS all the way.

The Greys said:
What, The vocalists after Ozzy were cheezy as hell and sounded like powermetal. Early BS all the way.

Leik omg, yeah Dio, Ian Gillan, and Tony Martin were teh cheese!!!!! Even though they could sing circles around Ozzy's whiney burned out warbling, Ozzy is still teh best ever!!

Not saying Ozzy's voice was amazing, but I think it suited the music perfectly and I prefer Sabbath way more with Ozzy than with the later vocalists but I'm not denying their talent as vocalists because they have it in abundancy, I just really dislike the power metal style sound to their vocals

I am not saying Ozzy has amazing vocals or was even good a lot of the times. I dislike powermetal vocalists and I do not think they fit with BS. Ozzy fit the band and I'd take almost any vocalist over a powermetal one. Powermetal is homosexual and feminine and Tony's riffs are fucking doom and blues driven and not gay,either are the bass and drums and they do not mix. BS's music is far from gay and should not sound like 80's cheese end of story. They are the innovators of Doom and metal and brutal reality,not followers of a trend and ass cheese and corny music that is impossible to be taken seriously at all. The thing I liked about Sabbath with ozzy is how fucking earthly it was and oldschool sounding the music was while remaining heavy trademark original riffs from Tony and him being one of the most consistant guitarist and his deliver in music in general being so solid. That is gone after Ozzy left.

The Greys said:
Powermetal is homosexual and feminine and Tony's riffs are fucking doom and blues driven and not gay,

The band entirely changed their style after the horrible "Never Say Die", I'm beginning to believe that you have no idea what the fuck you're talking about.

Power Metal homosexual and feminine? I hear much more assrape in Blowpeth or N*Flaymz than I do with the balls of steel of Jag Panzer and Helstar.

Entombed - Early death METAL stuff only.
Morbid Angel - Never the biggest fan....I like the first two, but then they got br00thal for br00thal's sake. Pete Sandoval annoys the piss out of me.
Obituary - haven't listened to em.
Sepultura - Everything after Arise is herpes.
Slayer - Everything after Seasons is herpes.

Profånity is a colossal fucking idiot. I thought everyone would have noticed that by now.

Jean-Pierre is correct. Helstar pisses on 90% of modern metal while Jag Panzer gives their mothers the hot steel injection.

Divine Intervention was a decent slayer album but show no mercy was always a classic. Reign in blood gets praise when it's mostly filller with a few cool songs like Angel of Death, Raining blood, postmortem, piece by piece and criminally insane. The New Megadeth rules. Newer Cattle Decapitation rules as well.

With most bands new shit sucks though.

Just a thought.. if Dio had been first and Ozzy second, would any of us still think Ozzy suited the band so well? I'm not concluding anything from this, just trying to get opinions out of you people.

That said, I don't care whether Ozzy has any vocal talent whatsoever. Talent isn't the be-all-end-all deciding factor on whether music is worth hearing, at least for me. Ozzy's uniqueness and emotion are what made him such an integral part of Sabbath. Ozzy WAS Sabbath, and no matter how good the albums written after he left may be, they will never be THE classic Sabbath.

IAmEternal said:
Just a thought.. if Dio had been first and Ozzy second, would any of us still think Ozzy suited the band so well?

Well, that depends on the music surrounding them. Dio doesn't quite suit the early Sabbath stuff so well, and of course Ozzy would be awful on most of the Dio-era music. And if you reversed the order of the music, that would just fuck everything up so much...

So the answer to your question is, I don't know.

Talent isn't the be-all-end-all deciding factor on whether music is worth hearing, at least for me.

WORD. It's the same as Sean Killian from Vio-Lence or Dave Mustaine...not exactly great singers, but the bands just wouldn't be the same without them.

IAmEternal said:
Ozzy WAS Sabbath, and no matter how good the albums written after he left may be, they will never be THE classic Sabbath.

Still wrong. IOMMI IS Sabbath. Ever heard "Dehumanizer"? A total return to their classic era but with Dio on vocals. Made no difference, except they happened to have a better vocalist. Without Iommi's innovation and riffwork, Sabbath would have fallen into obscurity faster than anything.

Pyrus said:
IAmEternal said:
Talent isn't the be-all-end-all deciding factor on whether music is worth hearing, at least for me.
WORD. It's the same as Sean Killian from Vio-Lence or Dave Mustaine...not exactly great singers, but the bands just wouldn't be the same without them.
Or Attila in Mayhem... alright maybe not.

Jean-Pierre said:
Still wrong. IOMMI IS Sabbath. Ever heard "Dehumanizer"? A total return to their classic era but with Dio on vocals. Made no difference, except they happened to have a better vocalist. Without Iommi's innovation and riffwork, Sabbath would have fallen into obscurity faster than anything.
You're wrong too. Sabbath was the whole package of the original band. I have no interest in non-Ozzy Sabbath, like I would have no interest in non-Iommi Sabbath.

Ozzy's vocals were unique and suited the Sabbath sound, themes and ideals down to the ground. I find Dio to be an overrated cheese-ball. Doesn't he have Dragons to slay or something? :loco:

For Morbid Angel and Obituary the later work is ok, though not as good as the earlier stuff. The later work of the others is significantly worse than their classic stuff, especially in the case of Sepultura IMO.

Some other bands that I think really went to shit in their later career:

Amorphis
Atrocity
Sentenced
Hypocrisy
In Flames
Cancer
Tiamat
Sigh
Gorefest
Carcass

and to a lesser extent: