Terrorizer's Top 20 Black Metal Foundation Albums

MadeInNewJersey said:
It's still a thrash album though, no?
no, it's mostly black metal in the state the genre was in in 1985-ish. (which did of course derive from thrash a lot but black metal bands were a lot more raw and evil and had lyrics about satan! like the first ep's by sepultura, destruction & sodom -- total bm)

there's not a whole lot of difference between, say, the first bathory LP and "sentence of death" if you listen well

MadeInNewJersey said:
I mean, I don't see Deicide's debut on that list, and it's considered LYRICALLY to be pretty influential in the BM world, no?
no. not at all, in fact

Erik said:
bah it's not strange for the sake of strange like the newer albums, it seriously kicks ass

if it was good enough for euro to sign for DSP, it's good enough for you

get on it

I can't argue with logic like that! I'm on it!

Erik said:
no, it's mostly black metal in the state the genre was in in 1985-ish. (which did of course derive from thrash a lot but black metal bands were a lot more raw and evil and had lyrics about satan! like the first ep's by sepultura, destruction & sodom -- total bm)

there's not a whole lot of difference between, say, the first bathory LP and "sentence of death" if you listen well

no. not at all, in fact

fair enough

I know better than to get into a semantics debate on black metal here :lol:

MadeInNewJersey said:
though honestly, that makes me wonder why Possessed's Seven Churches isn't there...
because that's a DEATH METAL foundation album

not saying it was entirely un-influential on any black metal bands ever but

oh and btw
J. said:
Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger
Samael - Ceremony of Opposites
Ulver - Bergtatt
Fleurety - Min Tid Skal Komme
In the Woods... - HEart of the Ages
Burzum - Filosofem
Cradle of Filth - Dusk...and Her Embrace
Mysticum - In the Streams of Inferno
Arcturus - La Masquerade Infernale
Emperor - Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk
Enslaved - Eld
Sigh - Hail Horror Hail
Solefald - The Linear Scaffold
Abigor - Supreme Immortal Art
Demoncy - Joined in Darkness
Dodheimsgard - 666 International
Immortal - At the Heart of Winter
Satyricon - Rebel Extravaganza
Anaal Nathrakh - The Codex Necro
Xasthur - Nocturnal Poisoning
i fucking TOTALLY fail to see how "hvis lyset tar oss" is on the "foundation" list and not on the "progression" list

which do i have of THESE albums then!

Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger
Samael - Ceremony of Opposites
Burzum - Filosofem
Ulver - Bergtatt
Emperor - Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk
Enslaved - Eld
Xasthur - Nocturnal Poisoning

:S

Sigh - Scorn Defeat is quite a bit different than the later stuff. Its definitely black metal, and it influenced a lot of Japanese bands. Probably some bands outside Japan too.

Get it so you can listen to it all, once again poopy connection holds me from sharing more but trust me, it's a kickass album. Primitive yet refined and most definately evil and fuckin good