That "Clayman" sound....

Asmus_Thomsen said:
Hmm, I'm a bit puzzled about this thread. Surely, the sounds recorded do sound great, but this micing technique is nothing new or speciel, and certainly not a "Nordstrom" thing (I DO love his work though) - just a bit surprised that no one has seen this before. BUT, it IS a great technique and i hope that you all find the sound you're looking for.

I've heard of this technique before, but always filed it under the "someday when I get some time" section of my to do list. I didn't realize how much of a paradigm shift it would be in guitar sound.

-0z-

As promised, here's a clip of the on/off axis technique.

Clip

This is eventually going to be part of a Black Sabbath tribute album, performed by local unsigned acts around my area.... just good clean fun. Every other band is doing the Ozzy material, so we had to be difficult & do a Dio era song.... try not to laugh too hard at my guitar playing, I'm an engineer first.

Signal chain as follows:

Mk1 5150 into Marshall V30 cab
Dual sm57s (The on axis mic was pulled back 1/2 inch from where I normally put it. More hi end that way.)
Great River Mp2NV

And a couple of pics of the mic setup
dual%2057%201.jpg

dual%2057%202.jpg

dual%2057%203.jpg

thestoryteller:
hey dude, maybe you could also ask him about the haunted - revolver? i absolutely love the way that album sounds, it's the (almost ;) ) perfect modern thrash tone imho. i suppose it's also a 5150, but maybe he can give you some further details regarding the guitar setup. thanks!

To Fragle:
They used 2 5150:s (mark 1 and 2) + 2 cabinets. On the main 5150 they took out one signal from the preamp output on the rear and into the second 5150 but in clean mode. Then out to 2 cabinets with 2 mics on each(4 mics totally) Using the flying V mic technique now famous on this forum:
Wok `n woll

cool, thanks. if i get you right they used the preamp out into the input of a second 5150 set to clean? or did they plug it into the fx return?
i'm using a 5150 right now, and i'm struggling to get anywhere close to that sound, even when using my EMG81 loaded guitar. all i know is that when i saw them live a few weeks ago, anders had his 5150II set pretty much exactly like i tend to set up my 5150I, which i found quite interesting. nowhere close to the album tone, though :D :D :D but then again, how many bands are able to at least halfway recreate their studio tone in a live situation....i've yet to see one do so.

Thanks for the compliments guys! My amp settings were pretty different than what Diskonnect was using, but I imagine that has to do with the amp's age vs variations from amp to amp. As you can see, a couple of the knobs have been snapped off, as it used to belong to our local guitar tech guru & did a couple of thousand shows in a classic rock cover band.
The power tubes are Sovtek 6L6 GB, so they're definitely not original. If anyone has any recommendations for 5150 power tubes, I'd be most interested in suggestions.

Anyway, amp settings were absolute (NOT clock) as follows
Pre: 6
Lo: 4.5
Mid: 0.5
Hi: 6
Res: 6
Pres: 7.5

The guitars were quad tracked (recorded 4 times) for a total of 8 tracks. I don't normally scoop the mids that much, but with the aforementioned frequency buildup, I figured it might not be a bad idea. Post EQ went along the lines of Diskonnect's recommendations, with some multiband compression in the low mids to keep things from larding up too much. Everything over 1k was untouched.
The guitar used for tracking is my '88 Washburn Spitfire, 29 Fret model. Here's a pic:
Washburn1.jpg

-0z-

OzNimbus said:
My amp settings were pretty different than what Diskonnect was using, but I imagine that has to do with the amp's age vs variations from amp to amp.

The power tubes are Sovtek 6L6 GB, so they're definitely not original. If anyone has any recommendations for 5150 power tubes, I'd be most interested in suggestions.

I won't be around my speakers until tonight, but your clip sounded really good through my headphones. About settings: I've heard from several people that the lead channel in the combo is voiced differently from the head, so that would be one reason our settings are so different. Also, personal preference, of course. As for power tubes, I'm pretty happy with my JJs... they're really clean and warm. You might want to check them out if you're in the market for some new tubes.

That link doesn't work. If anyone has seen The Haunted's live DVD, there's a part where the camera zooms in on their 5150 II settings. There's also a bunch of other footage taken from Studio Fredman as well.

ok let's see what we've got here:
5150II
clean channel all zero'ed
lead channel:
gain 5
bass cranked
mids zero'ed
treble 7,5
volume around 1 i'd guess
resonance 8,5
presence almost cranked

the 5150 below: