That "Clayman" sound....

Disconnekt said:
It's really not as complicated as I make it sound! :p Just move one of the mics back and forth until they sound good together. If they're out of phase, you may not be able to quite put your finger on why, but they'll definitely sound weird together.

Oh, and my "recording sessions" are nothing special, I just feel like laying something down, turn the amp on, fire up Pro Tools and hit record, since all this takes place in my bedroom, and I don't move the mics once I get a sound I like. :D

Whilst you're here dude, ive another question :loco: Do you reckon you could achieve the same results with cubase as you do with pro tools :)

Cheers!

kev said:
Whilst you're here dude, ive another question :loco: Do you reckon you could achieve the same results with cubase as you do with pro tools :)

Cheers!

Absolutely. Without discussing the individual technical tricks each one can perform, it's basically one tape machine versus an equally good tape machine, and it all comes down to personal preference and what you're used to. Pro Tools is just what I'm used to. If you're used to Cubase, then you'll do better with that than you will with something you're not used to!

No amazing technical tricks are performed in any of my recordings, and if I were quick with Cubase, I could accomplish the same thing using that just as easily.

Disconnekt said:
Absolutely. Without discussing the individual technical tricks each one can perform, it's basically one tape machine versus an equally good tape machine, and it all comes down to personal preference and what you're used to. Pro Tools is just what I'm used to. If you're used to Cubase, then you'll do better with that than you will with something you're not used to!

No amazing technical tricks are performed in any of my recordings, and if I were quick with Cubase, I could accomplish the same thing using that just as easily.

Cool, thanks for your advice tonight man, you're always a great help!

Great tread!
I'v heard that Fredrick also prints the audio back to a analog machine.
Multitrack or 2 track?
Can someone confirm that?

He's mixing down to 2 track 1/4" tape on a Studer A820. At least he used it during 2001-2003, and I hope he still does because it sounds great!

And: sorry all, I haven't had the time to call Fredrik yet. I just started a new job, and I have too much on my mind. Soon, very soon.. I promise.

Disconnekt said:
Sorry about the guitar timing... it's a bit sloppy.

Rhythm tracks are Lead channel and Nordström method with the mics I said before, and lead/ambient tracks are Rhythm channel (go figure) with the SM57 straight on, just one mic.

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/jelmiger/mp3/5150 Nordstrom Mics.mp3

Enjoy, and let me know what you think!

sounds very nice...has that thick midrange i love to hear, but isn't overload like the 5150 can sometimes be...i'm gonna have to try that mic technique next time i get a chance to noodle around for sure!

how does the nta-1 compare to any other mics you've tried? i've had my eye on one for a while now, but i've got an mxl 9001 LD condenser (came in one of those two mics for $50 packs at guitar center) for the money, the thing actually sounds so nice i've been hesitant to drop the cash on a 'nicer' condenser...it pairs up so nicely with a 57, i5, or 609

OzNimbus said:
Finally had a breakthrough: and I'm one happy engineer. Taking the tubescreamer out of my signal chain really let the highs through. With it on, it seemed to be really reinfocing the midrange. From what I've learned over the last three days, when you're single miking, a tubescreamer is a nessescity. But it's a different ballgame with two mics.

The other caveat is to watch the lows & low midrange. Without the tubescreamer, they're a great deal more present. EQ & C4 can help out huge here. After that, just set your faders to taste, with the off axis being the louder one, and you're off.

Thanks to The Storyteller & Diskonnect, and everyone else who contributed on this thread... I'm finally getting the guitar sound I've been after for ages.
Hopefully I'll post a clip later tonight.

-0z-

forgive my NOOB question here, but what exactly is this C4 you speak of?

Genius Gone Insane said:
NOOB definition: it's sort of a compressor and EQ combined into one, sort of. You can compress particular frequency ranges without affecting every frequency.

so if i'm following you correctly, you could use it tame down some boomy low end...but without affecting the mid-high frequencies?

cobrahead1030 said:
sounds very nice...has that thick midrange i love to hear, but isn't overload like the 5150 can sometimes be...i'm gonna have to try that mic technique next time i get a chance to noodle around for sure!

how does the nta-1 compare to any other mics you've tried? i've had my eye on one for a while now, but i've got an mxl 9001 LD condenser (came in one of those two mics for $50 packs at guitar center) for the money, the thing actually sounds so nice i've been hesitant to drop the cash on a 'nicer' condenser...it pairs up so nicely with a 57, i5, or 609

Thanks!

About the NT1-A, there's nothing too distinctive about the sound... a slight low-end and high-end hype, but nothing too drastic. It is notable for its unbelievably low self-noise, which I believe ranks among the lowest of all condensers in all price ranges. I haven't been able to compare it to too many mics... there are a lot that I like better, but those are all way too expensive for me. The NT1-A is great for the price, but if you're happy with what you have, I don't know if it's worth it to go out and spend more money on one. It's definitely worth checking out if you need a new large-diaphragm condenser, though.