That "Clayman" sound....

Ah, it's got tons of character Marty! Keep it just the way it is.

Mine look the way they do because they never leave the studio.... EVER. I'm not a gigging musician anymore.

BTW, my JJ power tubes came in today, and I'm picking them up tomorrow morning. I can't wait to try them out.... I'll post some results.

-0z-

OK, so I finally got a mix ready with this technique. Yikes!
http://www.studioferox.co.uk/HoneyforChrist-Allhopeisstrangledmix2tracks2.mp3

So i dropped out the on-axis mic and ended up with this. Not perfect but a hell of a lot better.
http://www.studioferox.co.uk/HoneyforChrist-Allhopeisstrangledmix3(master).mp3

I screwed up the phase with the two mics i think, and got that horrid phasey frequency thing going on. What's that technique for phase aligning with raw amp noise or white/pink noise? I had a quick search but haven't found it yet.

Edit: on listening to these MP3's, they seem to mask the harsh frequencies a bit compared to listening in .wav format.

Push the power and the gain of your amp until you get a loud nasty hiss. Flip the phase on one channel, make shure both channels are not panned L-R, and move the mic while monitoring (closed headphones or get someone to move the mic for you). Move it until you find a spot where the hiss get noticeably quieter (almost disapear). When done, push the phase button back to normal.

martyfireball said:
I screwed up the phase with the two mics i think, and got that horrid phasey frequency thing going on. What's that technique for phase aligning with raw amp noise or white/pink noise? I had a quick search but haven't found it yet.

edit: BURNY, ya beat me to it! Ah, well.

There are a couple variations, but for this technique...

Place your "dead center" mic on the dust cap as normal.

Run white noise though the amp.

Flip the phase on the off axis mic channel.

Bring up both of the on and off axis channels in a monitor or headphone mix. Hopefully your phones have good isolation.

Move the off axis mic around until the white noise is as cancelled out as possible.

Filp the phase back to "normal" on the off axis mic channel. Et voila.

If you're using headphones, it might be a good idea to record a the white noise test in the DAW and double check your results on the monitors.

When you're ready to roll with the guitar, record a test run and flip the phase on the off axis track in the DAW. If you just hear a bunch of high end, shrill, fizzy crap, that's probably good. Anything you hear at this point is what you'll be "removing" when you flip the phase back to normal on the off axis track.

Phase is a cruel bitch, but sometimes with a little luck, it can be a nice eq in a carefully controlled environment.

martyfireball said:
OK, so I finally got a mix ready with this technique. Yikes!
http://www.studioferox.co.uk/HoneyforChrist-Allhopeisstrangledmix2tracks2.mp3

So i dropped out the on-axis mic and ended up with this. Not perfect but a hell of a lot better.
http://www.studioferox.co.uk/HoneyforChrist-Allhopeisstrangledmix3(master).mp3

Edit: on listening to these MP3's, they seem to mask the harsh frequencies a bit compared to listening in .wav format.

Marty, you might want to try putting the off axis mic on the OUTside of the cab, like so:
dual%2057%203.jpg

You might be picking up some of the sound coming from the adjacent speaker. (just a guess)

One thing I've learned is that with technique, the amp has to be set very specifically. Try playing around with various eq & volumes. It took me three days of constant messing around until I found something that worked.

BTW Marty, I really dug the song. It sounds like your snare is tuned too high tho. The kick disappears during the fast double bass parts. Overall, the drums still need a lot of work. But give a medal to your vocalist. He's got some talent.

-0z-

OzNimbus said:
BTW Marty, I really dug the song. It sounds like your snare is tuned too high tho. The kick disappears during the fast double bass parts. Overall, the drums still need a lot of work. But give a medal to your vocalist. He's got some talent.
-0z-

Unfortunately, I can't take any credit for the tune, it's my mates band who agreed to be guineapigs whilst i tried my new interface and gear to make sure it all worked and i had the routings sorted etc. I'll be sure to pass on the comments.
BTW, any quick suggestions for sorting the drums? They (the band) are obsessed with a "no-triggers" sound, or i would have had a kick and snare sample in there to help, but any pointers would be much apprechiated.

I'll try the mic the other way next time, and i now know that the off-axis is the most important.

martyfireball said:
BTW, any quick suggestions for sorting the drums? They (the band) are obsessed with a "no-triggers" sound, or i would have had a kick and snare sample in there to help, but any pointers would be much apprechiated.

#1) New skins. If you want a great live drum sound, don't cheap out here.
#2) Learn to tune drums. See my article about tension watches.
#3) Make sure your snare & toms are in proper phase with your overheads.

-0z-

martyfireball said:
http://www.martyfireball.f2s.com/noise101/phasetest.mp3

OK, so heres the on-axis in position and me moving the off-axis.
I'm switching in and out of phase reversal on the off-axis channel (starts phase reversed).
Should i still have this much noise? I thought it shoud almost cancel it all.

Umm... quick question: are you using the same preamp for both mics? I.E. is it a two channel?