That "Clayman" sound....

OzNimbus said:
#1) New skins. If you want a great live drum sound, don't cheap out here.
#2) Learn to tune drums. See my article about tension watches.
#3) Make sure your snare & toms are in proper phase with your overheads.

-0z-
1. I hear ya!
2. Double hear ya...in fact I built my own tuner for £9 (about £15 dollars)
mydrumdial.jpg

and got pretty constant results on the batter heads, although we didn't have time to try the resonant heads....what I really might do is buy a cheap snare or tom and use it to practice on, as i haven't any other access to drums to practice and sessions are usually rushed...as we all know!
3. I think they are. I aligned them in sonar.

It's really down to processing them a bit more now I suppose.

Cheers for all the advise BTW! :worship:

martyfireball said:
1. I hear ya!
2. Double hear ya... although we didn't have time to try the resonant heads....

]

They're just as important. Without tuning the resonant heads, you might as well try flying airplanes with no wings. :)

Brett - K A L I S I A said:
Holy shit how did you do that ???

Well, i'd have to kill ya.......nah, coming from an engineering background, i knew that they were just DTI's with a lumo of metal on the bottom......so i bought a DTI of ebay, and got a lump of metal for the bottom! :)
I wasn't sure if steel or aluminium was the base material and I went for steel which is heavier. It seems to work OK, although i've never saw a real one in action.

Disconnekt said:
As far as my own stuff goes, though, I'm working on it! If I were a better guitarist, I'd develop my ideas much more, but I'm not a very good guitarist, so simplicity (and a tempo that falls far short of ridiculously fast) is the rule where my songwriting is concerned. I'm looking for lessons, though, if anyone's got any to offer!

-Jordan
This Thread Rules!
Disconnekt, hey man, I just checked out your clip. I fuckin' love it, can't wait to here the whole tune!:kickass: I've been checking it out over and over. I hope I don't rip you off tonight, when organizing new riffs! Very cool! Don't be so hard on yerself! Your modesty is refreshing. Remember THAT when your opening up for Hypocrisy or Byzantine! Man as far as lessons go, is
Lynchburg anywhere near West Virginia? Tony Rohrbough, from Byzantine might be your ticket! Rt. 60 music? He's a shredder and a 5150 player! I'm a bigger fan of the other gitaar player in the band though!:heh:

I must admit, this thread has been a huge help with my guitar sounds. I've learned to be a lot more scientific in the way how I do things.... Incremental changes in amp settings & writing everything down.. the sort of stuff I should have been doing ages ago. That & the dual 57 thing is just a great way to work.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in!

That In Flames DVD sounds SOOO good! Man, it's a monster sound in, what, Bflat!:p Great band! I like it when the FOH guy puts a mic on the 5150 head, and Drums get louder! :err: The off axis 57 is a good way to blend! Awesome thhread!

Speaking of In Flames, and in the effort to perpetuate this rad thread - Come Clarity fucking rules.

I wake up to tracks 1-3 every morning.

Also, Bjorns bengal sleeve tat is the shit.

Hey Kev, this forum is what I've been looking to find for a while! Fuck Gearslutz! nah, it's still cool. I hope I'm not over posting, but I feel right at fucking home on this forum! Pay whatever you have to for that ( Used and Abused...In Live We Trust) DVD. Superb fucking audio mix, and the film production (shots) rules! Hella! Hella! song list, like thrty some fuckin songs! All the vids, and kick ass interviews!:kickass:

its all about the green channel on the 5150, so much smoother and more chunky, the red is way to brittle for my liking.

greyskull said:
its all about the green channel on the 5150, so much smoother and more chunky, the red is way to brittle for my liking.

What kind of tubes are you running in preamp & power sections and/or have you had the bias mod done?