That "Clayman" sound....

edit: jesus......what a setup. i don't have two 5150s so i'm not able to exactly duplicate that setup, but still......
i just slaved my 5150 I head (set just like the 5150II in the pic above) through my marshall jcm800 2210's clean channel.....i swear, i couldn't even crank the amps (it's 10pm right now...neighbours would kill me), but dammit, if my band will ever reach a certain level of popularity, that's the setup i'll play.
the 5150 set as above sounds weak and thin. but slaved through the marshall, it's total awesomeness....i'm amazed. TRY IT!!!

Fragle said:
edit: jesus......what a setup. i don't have two 5150s so i'm not able to exactly duplicate that setup, but still......
i just slaved my 5150 I head (set just like the 5150II in the pic above) through my marshall jcm800 2210's clean channel.....i swear, i couldn't even crank the amps (it's 10pm right now...neighbours would kill me), but dammit, if my band will ever reach a certain level of popularity, that's the setup i'll play.
the 5150 set as above sounds weak and thin. but slaved through the marshall, it's total awesomeness....i'm amazed. TRY IT!!!

This post is worthless without clips. ;)

clips are worthless without mics :D
the best i can do is using the marshall's preamp out directly into my soundcard....but i guess you don't want to hear THAT :loco:

i want to buy some recording gear, though, just for the sake of making a few amp clips. the pod 2.0 i'm using right now is starting to bore me, plus it sucks. :D also it would be a good way of keeping track of all the amps i owned, and how they sounded :D :D :D
ok, now this off topic, but anyways....i think i'll go for a sm57 (and a mic stand, of course), but what else do i need? i have a halfway decent software, the soundcard is crap but can be replaced quickly. basically my question is, do i really need a mic preamp? because the cheapest micpre i've seen was like 150 euro, and that's too much just for making amp clips....

Fragle said:
i want to buy some recording gear, though, just for the sake of making a few amp clips. the pod 2.0 i'm using right now is starting to bore me, plus it sucks. :D also it would be a good way of keeping track of all the amps i owned, and how they sounded :D :D :D
ok, now this off topic, but anyways....i think i'll go for a sm57 (and a mic stand, of course), but what else do i need? i have a halfway decent software, the soundcard is crap but can be replaced quickly. basically my question is, do i really need a mic preamp? because the cheapest micpre i've seen was like 150 euro, and that's too much just for making amp clips....

A sound card like the 1010lt has mic preamps built in :)

OzNimbus said:
Washburn1.jpg

Oz, I just noticed your Great River soldering station.

Next best thing to soldering on a Neve, eh? ;)

edit: Oh yeah, great clip, too!

black sugar said:
Oz, I just noticed your Great River soldering station.

Next best thing to soldering on a Neve, eh? ;)

edit: Oh yeah, great clip, too!

LMAO! I never thought of it like that.... no, I never solder on it, I ran out of space to store stuff.

kev said:
Guys, could you explain to me what you mean by "phasing the two mics" I dont understand?

Ideally, you want the two microphones to be receiving approximately the same signal at the same time, with only the frequency response differing (due to different areas of the speaker). To do this, they have to be the same distance from whichever parts of the speaker they are pointing at, respectively (someone correct me if I'm wrong on that technicality). The bottom line is, once the difference in distance becomes too great, certain frequencies will start cancelling between the two microphones corresponding to the difference in distance, and this is what we call "out of phase" or "destructive interference". If the speaker were flat, getting the microphones in phase would probably be as simple as lining up the two diaphragms, but with a cone, it's trickier. There are a number of ways to make sure you are in phase. Keep in mind, it's just about impossible to get the microphones PERFECTLY in phase, but close enough is what I shoot for, and it sounds fine.

Once my microphones are positioned separately to get the tone I want out of each, I combine them in mono at equal volumes, and then I flip the phase on one of them (which electrically reverses positive and negative voltages in the signal, or the digital equivalent of such an action). When the phase on only one of the mics is flipped, perfectly aligned microphones should result in near-total cancellation, especially in the lower and mid frequencies. So with headphones on, I move one of the mics forward and backward along its own axis until all I can hear is a fizzy mess. Then I flip the phase back to normal, and the mics are as in-phase as they can be.

Hope that helps, and if not, I'm sure someone can be less confusing than that. :p

Yikes, i was kinda scared at first :loco:
It makes sense to me now thinking about it. Mics have to be exactly the same distance from the speaker is the bottom line it seems. But blimey, i've got a long way to go if this is the sort of stuff you're up to man!

Carcass29 said:
Cool...i thought you recorded them into two seperate tracks in stereo.

I record them separately so I can adjust the balance between the mics in the mix, but when I'm placing the mics prior to recording, I monitor them together at equal volume in mono, otherwise I wouldn't be able to hear the phase interaction properly. Sorry for the confusion!

Disconnekt said:
I record them separately so I can adjust the balance between the mics in the mix, but when I'm placing the mics prior to recording, I monitor them together at equal volume in mono, otherwise I wouldn't be able to hear the phase interaction properly. Sorry for the confusion!

I think i need to sit in on a disconnekt recording session :dopey:

kev said:
I think i need to sit in on a disconnekt recording session :dopey:

It's really not as complicated as I make it sound! :p Just move one of the mics back and forth until they sound good together. If they're out of phase, you may not be able to quite put your finger on why, but they'll definitely sound weird together.

Oh, and my "recording sessions" are nothing special, I just feel like laying something down, turn the amp on, fire up Pro Tools and hit record, since all this takes place in my bedroom, and I don't move the mics once I get a sound I like. :D