The best impulses since s-preshigh... And they're free !

Damn man that djenty mix/one is godly. I am definitely going to give these a shot.
Thanks a lot of for doing some free ones :D

Now if I only could get my skill up to match that djenty mix lol

EDIT: Metalmillers mix and tone is also godly. Wow! really great stuff guys

These impulses do rule. Here's some riffs I wrote using it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude your IRs blow everything I've tried out of water, either free or commercial IRs (haven't try many commercial ones tho)!
I'm definitely gonna use these in my mixes! Thanks a ton!

hey guys-

i run the audio channel at creativelive, glad to see andrew's name in this thread! his class was awesome, and his IR rules too. thanks for watching!

Hey Redline,
do these IRs have an imprinted poweramp response curve due to recording them through a guitar head poweramp section like some guys do over here? Or did you use a flat response curve poweramp to drive the speaker?

greets

Hey Redline,
do these IRs have an imprinted poweramp response curve due to recording them through a guitar head poweramp section like some guys do over here? Or did you use a flat response curve poweramp to drive the speaker?

greets

I was wondering the same thing. Usually you can tell, especially if it's stuff like Guitar Hack or Catharsis, but these sound useable either way.

Hey guys, yes it has an ''imprinted'' poweramp response curve from the poweramp section of the amp. Some of these impulses have different poweramp used ('95 2 chan dual rec, Orange rockerverb, 5153 III, 6505, etc, it depends.) I think going through the return loop of the amp (by-pass the preamp section) and then having the cab connected to the head like a normal setup is the best way to take cabinet impulses. I havent heard of any other way to do it (that sounds great and that doesnt damage the equipement).

Thanks for your respond :)

That explains the huge low end with my setup, because it's like two poweramps daisy chained.^^
There are different methods to capture only the pure cab but it depends on what your after. When you want to use an IR with software simulations then it more or less doesn't matter how you do it. You can just turn the poweramp section off in the sim. But...when you want to use a real head in its entirety then you want also the real poweramp. Recording the IR through a flat response amp (solid state amp or what ever) is one possible way but you need such an amp (expensive) and mostly its still not totally flat or the speaker reacts differently than to a heads poweramp.
The simplest way is to drive the speaker with a normal head but additionally measuring the frequency response directly behind the poweramp and just calculating the difference between this and the one that measures the mic. That can also be done in seperate runs.

Can you tell me which IR was done with the 6505/5150III and the corresponding setting on the poweramp? Than i can substract out the poweramp curve for myself :) They are indeed sounding good and i would like to get the best results out of it with my setup :)