The best keyboard/guitar duel of all time

Alexander TG

The literate drummer
Mar 23, 2003
E. London
Visit site
I myself have it narrowed down to 2 but I cannot for the life of me decide between then.

1) Of sins and Shadows - the duel which follows that operatic piece 'I'm immersed in a curse la la la la' Romeo and Pinella at their very best. Incidentally this was the first SX song I had ever heard and I had to wonder what the fuck just hit me, magic stuff.

2) Hatebreeder - slight difference in lyrical content as this particular duel follows the lyrics 'it's so fucking hard, be dead' (good ol' COB) but the closing duel following is nothing short of musical perfection. I swear this could be Mozart and Beethoven battling it out it's that good, Janne Warman and Alexi Laiho may just have the edge it pains me to say, I narrowly prefer the keyboard sound on this one too.

Please if anybody knows of any better duels I would love to hear them.

Star One-Masters of Darkness
Symphony X-Of Sins and Shadows
Sonata Arctica-The Ruins of my Life

These aren't really the most technical ones I've heard, but they convey so much emotion.

Yes, Beyond This Life is Godly when it comes to the duels. I also like the one in The Divine Wings of Tragedy at about 16 minutes I think...

It's somewhere around there. Romeo does a solo, then Pinella does one, then they both do a slightly shorter solo each, then they start with these little bits, like MJR will shred on his guitar for like 3 seconds, then Pinella will do the same, they do it like 4-5 times I think, and it sounds really awesome...

Symphony X - Smoke and Mirrors
DT - Home
COB - Bodom after midnight
Magnitude 9 - End of Days.

Alexander TG said:
2) Hatebreeder - slight difference in lyrical content as this particular duel follows the lyrics 'it's so fucking hard, be dead' (good ol' COB) but the closing duel following is nothing short of musical perfection. I swear this could be Mozart and Beethoven battling it out it's that good, Janne Warman and Alexi Laiho may just have the edge it pains me to say, I narrowly prefer the keyboard sound on this one too.

Please if anybody knows of any better duels I would love to hear them.

Oh fuck yeah man. I was just listening to that today and thinking what a kickass duel that is, especially how they end it.

Autumn Lords - MacAlpine/MacAlpine (alot of MacAlpine Tracks come to mind)
Of Sins and Shadows - Romeo/Pinella
Evil Eye - Malmsteen/Johansson

Sym X - Fallen. Romeo and Pinnela duel back and forth, then they ascend a scale, each playing a few notes, before they go into the big unison... that whole section kicks me in the face.

DT - Fatal Tragedy. This has some of the coolest-sounding keyboard solos I've ever heard!