The best metal-nation?

owen10se

Son of Oden
Sep 17, 2006
Alingsas, Sweden
I think that Sweden is the greatest band in the world when it comes to metal!
Do you agree?
No?
What about:

In Flames
Hypocrisy
Opeth
Haunted
Dark Tranquillity
Marduk
At the Gates
Candlemass
Entombed
Evergrey
Dark Funeral
Forsaken
Soilwork
Katatonia
Necrophobic
Grave
Bloodbath
Unleashed
Nightrage
Naglfar
Edge of Sanity
Dismember
Dissection
Defleshed
Crown
Carnal Forge

and of course:
:worship: Amon Amarth
Try to match that if you can!

Sweden is overrated ... or used to have the best bands; it still has a lot of good bands.
France, Belgium, Holland and eastern europe with countries like Poland, Czech, Ukraine, Lithuania, Russia beat them hands down. Even the BM scene in Canada is becoming very well represented. Guess it depends if you look at the mainstream well known bands or take the time to do your own research outside of your mainstream metal magazines or yearly summer festival bills.
Quantity over quality?

I think it sort of depends on what you're into... strong arguments could be made for lots of countries. England is responsible for an awful lot of metal history from Zeppelin to Carcass and Napalm Death, USA and Germany wrote the books on thrash, etc.

deutscland uder alles
1)grave digger
2)blind guardian
3)rammstein
4)helloween
5)gama rey
6)scorpios (well not metal but ok)

what alse do you need!! deutscland rules:kickass:

To Belgar:

Do you call the bands I listed mainstream? The most of them are big names in the metalscene but not among regular people.

I'm listening to "small" bands aswell but its not often that you find something THAT interesting.

There is a reason why the bands I listed are famous, and that reason is that they make great music!

who cares? with the advent of the internet, it's the metal PLANET

the answer to your question is pretty complicated, of course nordic countries have loads of bands, me and my friends after deep analysis :lol: have decided that this is because:

1) Music culture in general is far better in that area than here ( I´m talking everything compared to Spain). Our music experiences in childhood are playing&make noise with the triangle and flutes when we are 6. then,if you are really interested you have to pay really expensive private lessons or really fight to enter conservatories.

2) with have a horrible mainstream music culture overloaded with pop idol and stuff like that

3) flamenco and spanish guitars happens only in south area

4) last but not least, we have a great weather in comparison with northern areas, therefore, we tend to gather for party on the streets rather than to play riffs anywhere..

now, i have to clarify that i´m in the minority group in my country interested in metal, almost all my friends plays in bands, rehears every week and play gigs as often as they can,that, as exposed above, can be supposed to be not really often...however, it does not mean we dont have bands in here,only that bands in here are not known and have any economic help to be known... all the money goes to crap.

However, answering your question, Sweden is pretty good in the rank, however, as it has been posted before, it depends on which style you are talking about...What the hell:yuk: ..i envy your countries,with so many god bands and so many gigs( specially germany)...

well there is not one specific nation there is one specific rase and this is the arians!north winds will blow again and the glory will be back to us.:worship:
now seriously the north countries are playinfg the best metal!example norwey sweden germany finland

Germany does a shitload for the metalscene, that's true. Even Manowar can sell their CD's on TV there.

But as to say which country produces the best metal? What is the best metal? Power, Trash, Death? Every country has their good bands, every country has their bad bands, and it's pretty useless to compare local scenes because every country will say 'ours is the best'

owen10se said:
To Belgar:

Do you call the bands I listed mainstream? The most of them are big names in the metalscene but not among regular people.

I'm listening to "small" bands aswell but its not often that you find something THAT interesting.

There is a reason why the bands I listed are famous, and that reason is that they make great music!

Not really, they are mainstream in the sense that anybody with some metal knowledge has probably heard their name before.
I am just saying that there are many countries with bands that are not as known and that are worthier of musical quality and talent than some of the big names that Sweden has produced.

You can name bands like Marduk and Dark Funeral ... but the stuff they have released in the past few years, just pale in comparison to what other bands in the same genre have produced and are nearly not as famous as the latter two.

But I do agree that at a time Sweden did have some very good bands, I am just looking past the big names. And yes, there are bands out there and many many of them that are THAT much more intersting to listen to and might not be covered in magazines or appear in big festivals.

Btw, I did forget to include Germany in my list.

Belgar said:
Not really, they are mainstream in the sense that anybody with some metal knowledge has probably heard their name before.
I am just saying that there are many countries with bands that are not as known and that are worthier of musical quality and talent than some of the big names that Sweden has produced.

You can name bands like Marduk and Dark Funeral ... but the stuff they have released in the past few years, just pale in comparison to what other bands in the same genre have produced and are nearly not as famous as the latter two.

But I do agree that at a time Sweden did have some very good bands, I am just looking past the big names. And yes, there are bands out there and many many of them that are THAT much more intersting to listen to and might not be covered in magazines or appear in big festivals.

Btw, I did forget to include Germany in my list.

I can see your point when it comes to bands like Marduk and Dark Funeral. There's alot bands outhere in the same gengre that can match them.

The reason I rank Sweden that high is mainly because my absolute favourite bands are Swedish. When it comes to melodic death nothing can beat 'em! Bands like Amon Amarth, Hypocrisy and Opeth makes me shiver just to hear their names!

There IS alot of good not "mainstream" bands in Sweden aswell, but I guess they find it pretty hard to match the already famous bands.

Where are you from? Canada? That's the home of Kataklysm isn't it?

Trashhead said:
Germany does a shitload for the metalscene, that's true. Even Manowar can sell their CD's on TV there.

But as to say which country produces the best metal? What is the best metal? Power, Trash, Death? Every country has their good bands, every country has their bad bands, and it's pretty useless to compare local scenes because every country will say 'ours is the best'

ummm...doubt it regarding my country...

After a bit of debating with myself, I found that many, many bands that I love come from America. Some of the greats include (and many are greats in their respective genres):

Agalloch
Symphony X
Nevermore
Death
Cynic
Dying Fetus
Iced Earth
Nile
Leviathan
Megadeth
Metallica
Testament
Control Denied
Dream Theater
Morbid Angel
Atheist

For other countries I tend to listen to one genre of music, for example: the bands I listen to from Norway are almost exclusively Black Metal (with the subgenres of it) and almost all the bands I listen to from England are almost exclusively classic metal. Of course there are exceptions to these.

Sweden is probably tied with America for my top spot.