The big what if

narcisco

Apr 8, 2003
Australia
Visit site
Now there is obviously no denying this is Opeth at their most accessible and maybe their brilliant best (and yes Demon of the fall and that unearthly roar sends shivers down my spine as well).
However is there going to be a single. Well first problem for commercial sludge radio is that the songs are long for that format.
I get the feeling that the Radiohead fans out there would really dig some of this album. Yes I said radiohead. I am not a huge fan as I don't own any of their albums. But you have to admit the last track Weakness has just that melancholic feel to it with its sparse instrumentation.
The next question is how will we feel if they the masses discover Opeth.
I don't know how I would feel really. I know it would be hilarious if some mellow minded yuppie thought all these songs were beautiful and profound (which they are) then invested in Deliverance or heaven forbid My arms Your Hearse.
Just a thought.
Any comments or thoughts on the commercial appeal of this album which I consider to be one of the most important releases in progressive tinged metal/rock in the last 10 years.

I hope they release two singles with both of the songs that were not used on the album :)

Man, could anyone imagine Opeth on Top Of The Pops or your country's equivalent? My pop-loving stepsister would be shocked to say the least: "James, have you heard that song by that band? Opeth I think they're called"..."Yes...you wanna hear some more?" *Puts on Demon Of The Fall*. Hehehe.

Anyway, I can't see Opeth going 'commercial' commercial...I can see them selling more copies of Damnation than anything else they've released, but I don't think Music For Nations will expect a similar reception to whatever follows Damnation. Then it'll be back to core Opeth fans, and maybe a few new fans who discovered heavy music through picking up another Opeth album...

Azogue said:
Radiohead are an awesome band, and I agree with your opinion on how many radiohead fans will definetely dig damnation.

But that's just my mellow minded yuppie opinion ;)

Speaking of which, I gave one of my friends (a like-minded radiohead fan) a MellOPETH mix so he could check them out, (BTW he thinks he's a bit of a music afficiando) his comments were:
Nice guitar arrangements, the guys voice is pretty ordinary
I only threw one semi-growler on there, Drapery, and went on more about the fact that he can't take Demonic screaming seriously than actually bothering to praise the stuff he liked.

I was quite angered by his comments as you can imagine, I will no further discuss any music related topics with him, because I respected his opinion and wasn't open minded enough to take it seriously, c'mon Mikes vocals on Harvest and Windowpane are sublime, do you not agree, sure you don't have to compare to jeff Buckley (whom my friend worships) but he has an excellent vocal style!
:yell: Just wanted to get it off my chest ( I believe he didn't pay it much attention when listening)
He also didn't think In Absentia was anything to rave about

.......And I know everybody has their own opinion and different strokes etc. But man it fires me up when people can't recognize brilliance!!

In Absentia is a great album. It's funny how I instantly warmed up to "Blackest Eyes". Supposedly, Steven Wilson wrote more songs like this, but they were too heavy for Porcupine Tree. Sounds promising, seeing as he is considering working with Mikael on these pieces.

stop worrying,i guarantee you wont hear any songs from this album on mainstream radio.

the only show i can imagine damnation songs being played on is john peel, and thats only because the guy is allowed to play whatever the fuck he wants.

One time he played a properly grainy jazz tune from 1920 or something(i shit you not),and then went straight in to a suffocation tune.

I find it amusing how a lot of people are so protective over their "underground bands". It's like the earth will combust or something if they gain any mainstream popularity. Rest assured kiddies, the likelihood of this happening to Opeth is pretty slim in my opinion. If it does for some reason, I really wouldn't care. I like what I like, you know?

I think the tastes of the members of Opeth are evolving into something that's more accessable but without a doubt of the same high artistic integrity that they've always had. Look at Porcupine Tree for example. They radiate passion for their music and it's still highly complex stuff but I can see them hitting it big with either the more lo-fi indie crowd or even with the adult contemporary crowd.

Accessability is not in any way related to quality for those with minds open enough to see and enjoy the good in different forms of art.

Hey..Opeth are already accessible to some extent..Opeth's fan base grew with the release of BWP..However, the band continues to evolve yet keep their metal roots..
Some people can't get into the metal growls (I love Mike's growls) others will be charmed by the mellower Damnation..Go figure..I don't think of Opeth as a mainstream band as Opeth have said in interviews that they are not about to abandon thier metal fanbase for mellowier material..Damnation is just an experiment..-l-

ShadowLioness said:
I find it amusing how a lot of people are so protective over their "underground bands". It's like the earth will combust or something if they gain any mainstream popularity. Rest assured kiddies, the likelihood of this happening to Opeth is pretty slim in my opinion. If it does for some reason, I really wouldn't care. I like what I like, you know?

well listen here

some bands have gone shitty after getting popular just so they could fuking stay popular

so yes there is always that fear that a great band like Opeth might go down that road

Personally, I hope that Opeth do NOT drop the "clean style" on the next record. I hope that the next record contains, at least, a few songs with only clean vocals.

Perhaps 8 songs: 4 "typical" Opeth; 4 "clean"

Dont fool yourselves: Damnation will not be a "commercial breakthrough" or a huge success. There will NOT be heavy promotion by the label (at least not in the mainstream), nor radio airplay, nor huge MTV rotation. It may, through word of mouth, lead to a smattering of new fans, but that's about it.

Consider this: bands such as Katatonia, Porcupine Tree, Anathema, the Gathering, etc., ALL have songs that could easily be top 10 in the "pop'rock" charts in any country, yet that just have never happened....for reasons listed above.

SoundMaster said:
Personally, I hope that Opeth do NOT drop the "clean style" on the next record. I hope that the next record contains, at least, a few songs with only clean vocals.

Perhaps 8 songs: 4 "typical" Opeth; 4 "clean"

Dont fool yourselves: Damnation will not be a "commercial breakthrough" or a huge success. There will NOT be heavy promotion by the label (at least not in the mainstream), nor radio airplay, nor huge MTV rotation. It may, through word of mouth, lead to a smattering of new fans, but that's about it.

Consider this: bands such as Katatonia, Porcupine Tree, Anathema, the Gathering, etc., ALL have songs that could easily be top 10 in the "pop'rock" charts in any country, yet that just have never happened....for reasons listed above.

lets hope it stays that way

".......And I know everybody has their own opinion and different strokes etc. But man it fires me up when people can't recognize brilliance!!"

THERE IS NO GREATER FUSTRATION