The Book Thread

I can't imagine Ozzy being capable of actually sitting down and writing a book by himself.:D As long as he's authorized it, what's the difference?:S

I can't imagine Ozzy being capable of actually sitting down and writing a book by himself.:D As long as he's authorized it, what's the difference?:S

Story telling, you can really tell. For example, Ric Flair's book you can totally tell he didn't write it. While reading you're just like: "This...isn't him telling the story".

Though, if the Ozzy book was written how he talks these days, it would be funny as all fuck.

I finished Lord of the Flies, it's probably one of the best books I've ever read. It'd be interesting to read a psychological/social/anthropological/etc. analysis of it.

The idealistic nature of that book is quite intriguing. I've always been drawn to books discussing different takes on self governance and things of that sort.

You should check out George Orwell's Animal Farm, very interesting.

Finished:

Giuseppe Tomasi de Lampedusa's 'Il Gattopardo'. Not an outstanding novel but decent; great description of places and overall atmosphere, but the plot itself is something very common.

Giovanni Papini's 'Words & Blood'. Really interesting (and short) book with a nice and different psychological insight.

Kafka's 'The Metamorphosis'. When I was a kid was the last time I read it. No description needed.

Camilo J Cela's 'Artists Coffee'. Not good at all.

Hugh Prather's 'Notes to Myself'. I recommend to read it at least once with the most care as possible.

I'm digging more into Papini's bibliography, I got 2 books: Gog and 'The Failure'.

The idealistic nature of that book is quite intriguing. I've always been drawn to books discussing different takes on self governance and things of that sort.

You should check out George Orwell's Animal Farm, very interesting.

Yeah, I've read it, classic ;) . How was it…hmm, "all animals are equal, but some are more equal than others". That was from A.F. right?

Ah yeah, animals, d'oh. Yes, it's been some time since I read it (I think I was like thirteen or fourteen when I did so), hence maybe it's time to read it again. Although I'm trying to finish Kouzure Okami :p .

I'm so behind on reading, been working too much. I still have like 2 1/4 books left to read from X-Mas, all Hunter S. Thompson...

Almost done with The Great Shark Hunt, then I have Generation Of Swine. I have Fear & Loathing too, have read it before but now I own it. Hence, why I need to read it again. Although, I can recite most of it from memory.

I'm so behind on reading, been working too much. I still have like 2 1/4 books left to read from X-Mas, all Hunter S. Thompson...

Almost done with The Great Shark Hunt, then I have Generation Of Swine. I have Fear & Loathing too, have read it before but now I own it. Hence, why I need to read it again. Although, I can recite most of it from memory.

Oh, only two books? I'm behind on circa fifty, so don't complain :p . I read so much academic stuff in the past M.A. that I just didn't have time for 'fun' reading. Heck, Анна Каренина (Anna Karenina—hey I managed to write it in Cyrillic by myself—) took me one year to finish. I loved it, but it was pretty hard with all the M.A. stuff. I read about one Анна Каренина per month of academic pieces.

Currently reading 'Midnight' by Mao Dun.

I got some nice books:

-Tell No One by Harlan Cohen
-The Miracle Strain by Michael Cordy
-Human, All Too Human by Nietzsche
-The Plague by Ann Benson.

i've just received a package that contains something i was searching from 2 long years!
i'm soooo fucking excited and satisfied :kickass:
it's a book which collects all the norwegian tales written by Asbjornsen and Moe. it's the only edition of those tales avaiable in italy, and has stopped to be produced since the 80's (maybe 90's)
so you can understand why i wasn't able to find it!
this edition is from 1974 (older than me :lol:) and i payed it quite a lot, 45 euro + 10 of shipping, while the actual sale price is of about 60-80 euro, so i was a bit lucky!
but it worthed! the volume is perfect and so beautiful! very elegant, with drawings, rigid slipcase, cotton bookmarker....i love it!

9788806078317g.jpg

Well, I just got The complete National geographic 1888-2008. 120 years of the magazine on 6 DVD-roms, every printed page, eheheh.

Djöfull;8969132 said:
Well, I just got The complete National geographic 1888-2008. 120 years of the magazine on 6 DVD-roms, every printed page, eheheh.

That sounds so fucking cool. How much was it? Did you just get it off Amazon?

I'd talk about books but all I have is the giant pile I have checked out from the library. I'm reading the tendentious memoirs of the dictator that Fidel Castro overthrew, Fulgencio Batista, called Respuesta (answer, but for some reason translated as Cuba Betrayed in the English version).