The Book Thread

Wow, great recommendations of books here! I'll buy some when I'm done with my huuuge pending list of books to read :p

A couple of days ago I finished reading Ask the dust by John Fante. Absolutely brilliant, beautiful, amazing.

Now I'm about to read again Neuromancer by William Gibson. I first read it when I was about 12, but I really want to read it again. I think that as you grow, if you read again books or watch the same movies you did some years ago you will find a different meaning because you have changed, and that is really cool!

@lefay82: That's great! I read a bit of it a couple of years ago, it's really awesome. You should read it while listening to Sibelius, that makes it even a better read! :p

Any recommendations when it comes to "Oscar Levertin"? It's OK if it's in Swedish, I'll somehow manage (i.e.: Thank you Internet). By the by, has he ever been translated into English/other languages? I only found "Rococo Noveller" in the former.

Also, nothing concerning "Låt den rätte komma in" Mr Angry Guy?

I can send it to you, i suppose. Any specific requirements?

Apparently the Angry Guy was going to send it to me, but I haven't heard from him. *harasses on FB*

Djöfull;9746931 said:
Same problem with me! I should just leave a book at a special bookplace/ "night-table" to be read.

I do have a place like that actually, but I don't read when I'm in bed because… well I fall asleep immediately. A book has to really catch my attention for me to finish in one sitting, last one like that was Heinlein. (I totally love Sci-Fi.) Even if I enjoy Cleland, pages and pages of sexual exploration and encounters might get a bit boring after a while. I like that book in the sense that the descriptions for vagina and other organs are really poetic, and sometimes rather amusing haha.

I'm reading Voguesville by Cornelius Jakhelln (Solefald, Sturmgeist) now.
1261941240000_3924346337_2976461298x1000r.jpg

So far I've been loving it. The mix of southern Norway and South Europe/America that Jakhelln creates is lovely.

COOOOOL! I didn't know Cornelius released a book. I reckon it's in Norsk? What is it about?

It's about a blackabilly Seagull who is solving a murder where the victim has a pentagram cut into his chest. Solefald - Blackabilly / Stidsljod is from the book. I'm reading it in Norwegian, but I think there's an English version.
Cornelius has also written Gudenes Fall, which has a lot of Solefald stuff in it, 5 poem collections and a children's book.

It's about a blackabilly Seagull who is solving a murder where the victim has a pentagram cut into his chest. Solefald - Blackabilly / Stidsljod is from the book. I'm reading it in Norwegian, but I think there's an English version.
Cornelius has also written Gudenes Fall, which has a lot of Solefald stuff in it, 5 poem collections and a children's book.

Liiiiiiinks! As in, where to buy them.

Here's Jakhelln own shop:
http://propagenia.bigcartel.com/category/books
I can't seem to find any English versions, but CDON.se has the swedish version of Gudenes Fall. Reading Gudenes Fall is pretty hard because much of the book is written in dialect. I wonder how the Swedish translators solved that one.

It'd be interesting to translate him into Spanish, but getting houses to publish these sort of books is quite hard. Thanks a lot for the link, I missed the »books« section when I first browsed the Solefald store.

i've started to read spellbound.
i'm impressed of how easy it's for me to read in english.
i had never tried to read an entire book in english (yes stupid me) and i'm starting to like it very much because it isn't traumatic or difficult at all!!!! :)
for now i'm at page 50 so nothing has really happened, the main character hasn't meet vintersorg yet to be more clear ahahah :lol:
i don't even know if this encounter happens in the first book or in another one of the saga...let's see what happen.
for now it seems interesting, those ice people are misterious and strange :)

okey yesterday i ended it.
surprisingly no trace of vintersorg in the first book. i tought he was one of the main characters, but i was wrong, clearly.
let's hope at least he's one of the misterious ice people :)
it was a strange reading, it ended up to be a fantasy tale mixed up with an erotic novel :lol: i mean, through the writing you understand that the writer is a woman and not a man (the only fantasy novels i has read before this were all written only by men and it's a totally different approach)
anyway i did like it, but i'm not that particular when it comes to reading, i mean, i have my own taste, and there are things that i like more or less, but i'm a devourer of written words, i read everything, i would read water's label if there wasn't anything better to read in the neighbourhood....so....in the end i liked it, and that morbid curiosity to know how it ends has taken control over me again...and i could not stop me from buying from book 2 to book 6, which are the only ones translated into english, and i'm already into panic to know how many book still have to be translated and how much time will i have to wait :lol:
i don't know why, but i'm really pathologic. when i begin something i cannot stop and i need to see its end. that's why i don't understand how some of you are able to leave a book in the middle of it. sounds impossible to me!!!!

while waiting to have book 2 delivered i've started to read odd and the frost giants. it's a book by neil gaiman, it's a sort of tale inspired to nordic mythology, and in particular to the theft of mjöllnir.
i had never read anything of gaiman, but i've heard good words about him, so i tried. and above all, it was the only decent book in english i've found in the bookshop ahaha :lol:

while waiting to have book 2 delivered i've started to read odd and the frost giants. it's a book by neil gaiman, it's a sort of tale inspired to nordic mythology, and in particular to the theft of mjöllnir.
i had never read anything of gaiman, but i've heard good words about him, so i tried. and above all, it was the only decent book in english i've found in the bookshop ahaha :lol:

You haven't read anything by Gaiman?!?!?!? Your life has been purposeless until now! You must read The Sandman!!!