The Book Thread

You haven't read anything by Gaiman?!?!?!? Your life has been purposeless until now! You must read The Sandman!!!

ahaha okey! i'm gathering tips about which one to read next, i got some options and "american gods" seems to be the most voted :)
but i'll accept your precious advice too, as long as i find it somewhere :)
yes, because i've ended odd's story too.... :( (well it was really really short, 120 pages)
now i've started with the saga of gisli son of surr....but maybe i'll have witch hunt (book two of the ice people) delivered tomorrow. so....let's hope!!!!

Neverwhere is a very cool story by Gaiman as well, have sadly not read the book but I have the film-version and it is pretty bizarre and very enjoyable.
Stardust, his collaboration with Terry Pratchett is also a good choise (though I expect you have read Terry Pratchett before? Otherwise something ill, like a badly boiled codfish might end up in your bed while you sleep... You have been warned.)

Currently reading:
the_girl_with_the_dragon_tattoo.large.jpg

Neverwhere is a very cool story by Gaiman as well, have sadly not read the book but I have the film-version and it is pretty bizarre and very enjoyable.
Stardust, his collaboration with Terry Pratchett is also a good choise (though I expect you have read Terry Pratchett before? Otherwise something ill, like a badly boiled codfish might end up in your bed while you sleep... You have been warned.)

no fishes have visited me tonight :lol:
:oops:

i've seen stardust and i enjoyed it, i'll probably read it as soon as i find it.

no i didn't read anything by terry pratchet. don't know why. i mean, the genre it's not exactly my cup of tea, so that's probably why i haven't read anything for now, i was into some other kind of stuff in the last years (i mean old stuff), but never is a word that doesn't belong to my reading-dictionary so i will surely read something a day or another :)

i mean, the genre it's not exactly my cup of tea, so that's probably why i haven't read anything for now

Well, the thing with Pratchett which really makes him better than the rest (for me) is that he is making as much fun of the genre as he himself is writing it. He takes all the 'normal' fantasy conventions, and then turns them on their head, or just look at them from a more practical point of view. Read, and you'll see what I mean :)

thanks for the tips eveybody :)
but i didn't find anything at the bookshop yesterday :(
they only had "stories" by gaiman but i'm not in the mood to read short tales or novels now. i've bought the road by cormac mccarthy (i've seen the film and i liked it very much) and the cronicles of something (winter autumn summer and what else?) by hickman and weiss, all the trilogy in one single enormous book :) i paid 14 euro for it, for something like 1000 pages, let's see if we only have quantity or also quality :lol:
and witch hunt has arrived this morning so it has the priority on everything else!!!!

omg lefay i'm so jealous, i wish i could swallow the books like that... :( it would take me forever to read all the stuff you read

i've always read a lot, since childhood.
i remember that when i was about 6 or 7 i spent a lot of time reading, while my other friends spent all their time playing. my best friend, who is my friend since we were 6, always remembers me with fun that when we was at the elementary school i used such difficult words for a 7-8 years old girl that she didn't even know their meaning and had to ask the teacher or her parents :lol:
i think this is the greatest gift my father gave me, one of the few nice memories i have of him, sadly. he was a publisher, so i inherited his love for books and the written word. he was a writer too...
as a Man he sucked, as a humanist he was a great personality...

i'm already seeing the end of witch hunt. only 40 pages left. :(

i read a lot when i was at school, too. In the summer school vacations that last the whole 3 months in Russia i was pretty damn bored so books were one of the few entertainments i could enjoy all day. At some point there were almost no books left in the library that i had not read :lol: I remember spending 1-2 hours in the library before i could find something even remotely interesting... At that time i read just about anything, even very boring stuff :D But even back then i was a slow reader. My friend who always went with me to the library could read a 350 pages book in 2 days while it would take me at least a week of almost continuous reading... And with all these years this problem has grown so much worse that now it prevents me from reading at all :erk:

i think i'm a quite fast reader. i suppose i can read 30/40 pages per hours. in the past i had much more free time, and i was reading more than now. now it's normal to read a 300 pages book in 3-4 days, before i could read a 600 pages book in 2 days :lol: but that was all about time...much more time to read.

anyway i've finished witch hunt yesterday, no vintersorg have entered to story yet.
the second book was more disappointing because it was slower and with less happenings than the first one....and...i have to stop here because book 3 is ordered but hasn't arrived yet :(

Yesterday, after getting my paycheck I went to a bookstore and asked, hopeless, for some Dostoyevsky books. It had 'The brothers Karamazov' in a beautiful edition of 2 volumes, so I bought it and I'm currently reading it. Probably tomorrow I'll look for some other interesting stuff. I need to expand my Poe and Nietzche collections.

Because of my recent interest in existentialism, I bought "The brothers Karamazov" a few weeks ago as well, also a beautiful 2 volumes edition from 1910. But I didn't start reading it yet.

Currently reading a lot on archaeozoölogy, archaeobotanics, stone age research in the Netherlands, community involvement in archaeology, heritage preservation in Bulgaria, and Anglo-Saxon amulets made of amber.
Having to finish a bunch of essays and a thesis before September while I could have been making the best of summertime if I wouldn't be such a notorious procrastinator, is not a joy.

In my spare reading time I'm now reading Bertrand Russel - A history of western philosophy + Ryan & Jetha - Sex at dawn: the prehistoric origins of modern sexuality (I surely recommend this one, especially if you want to know just why monogamy is not natural)

I'm currently in the middle of the second 'Dark Tower' book, 'The Drawing of the Three'.:S About damn time I got around to reading this. Bought the first three and I'm having a blast. Going to order the next four soon.

Currently reading a lot on archaeozoölogy, archaeobotanics, stone age research in the Netherlands, community involvement in archaeology, heritage preservation in Bulgaria, and Anglo-Saxon amulets made of amber.

Having to finish a bunch of essays and a thesis before September while I could have been making the best of summertime if I wouldn't be such a notorious procrastinator, is not a joy.

You didn't even need to add that following section for everyone to know you are a graduate student procrastinating from your actual work by reading other stuff that could be construed as work for people that aren't graduate students ^_^

I suffer from the same sickness