The Children Of Bodom Gear Thread

what does the MM04 uses ? also 50K ?

cause i think the MM04 is pretty much the same as an JE-1000, ive got an JE-1000 Clone and it sounds Way off to my MM04...

Yup, 50k volume pot for JE-1000. And the gain trim pot is a 10k (have to open your guitar to adjust, with the DIP switch). I haven't found an MM-04 schematic but I'd love to hear about it if someone takes one apart and tests the values with a multimeter. It's probably too expensive to risk fucking with though.

Which sound do you prefer, fastbodom? JE-1000 or MM-04?

well ive got an Original JE1000 wich is broken :( need to find the burned component, it sounded probably the same as the MM-04. the clones i got are some how less gainier/distortioner than the MM04 and the clones makes noise to Like a grounding error, MM-04 is my prefer ! specially with the HZ-H4 combo, havent plugged an J50BC with an MM04 yet, but got an soundtest from someone else who did and it sounds better than my clones does. hopefully you got your awnser

Fastbodom I'd love your destroyed JE-1000 if you'd sell it to me. I'll pay for the shipping too. I could do a better job of copying it if I have something to work from - not to mention I'd have every intention of fixing it as well!

Faith, the best I can do has been PM'd to you. If that's not your answer... I don't know. Encouraging others to post on that as well.

thanks for the PM but as I said before I'm looking for a portable headphone device and that was why I asked others opinion about them. anyway thanks for your PM.

1. True bypass is the way to go about this. The JE-1000 wasn't made for Alexi, it was made because Jackson wanted to add some flavour to their low ouput humbuckers in the late 80's in simular fashion to what fender did for their big players. Good example of this is Eric Clapton (uses EQ midboost in all his signatures).

2. Yeah, that one was cheap, but the ones on right now are 500 or more...Well I'm set anyway, got two ;) And I'm not selling, not even for an Axe-Fx2.

3. Well, the ones Alexi used was the f-spaced ones that came out in 87-89. These are clearly marked "Made in USA" and J-50BC on the back. All the other ones where merly cheap copies for lower models or imports. The ones used in the Charvel models are also marked "Made in USA" those are a lot better than all the imports or early ones. Easy way to spot, F-spaced models: They have long screws sticking out on the back. But if you want more output, the EMG-HZ H4 is a lot hotter. It's kind of more like the J-80BC if you've tried it.

4. Yeah, the hotter the pot, the warmer the sound...You might have to get a 50k pot for the pedal then If you're going to make an excact replica.
And The MM-04 and JE-1000 are not sounding the same at all. FAAAR from it. The MM-04 have a 18k gain trim pot and have a lot more distortion. Also it's a lot more trebly all ower. Same goes for the EMG-ABQ, but it's slightly warmer in the sound.

5. Try getting CTS pots, they are supposed to be the best.

Intellifex:

First off, the Intellifex Blackface, have never been in any of the rack pictures of Alexi's rack (nor Alexander or Roope). Alexi did use the USA made 1997 version of the Intellifex Online. This model have the red/pupleish glare. There is another Intellifex Online model from 2002...Korea made with bluish glare, I've got that one, and it's still better than my Intellifex Blackface... Don't know any difference between the online versions, but I'm sure there's someone who knows out there.
The only intellifex version that's got any kind of E.Q is the Intellifex XL, which is exreamly rare on ebay, and expensive.
And Alexi's more found of chours mixed with delay effects, but only just a tiny bit of them both. Sounds a little reverby to some, but I just think it sounds like a delay pedal with a twist.

Ohh and sorry guys for not posting any new pics of my two JE-1000's for component research. Can't push myself to go to my rehearsal place to do anything but practice latley. It's getting too cold and dark here in Norway. :p

1: No problem. I will just wire up a true bypass with a 3PDT stomp switch. It's a cakewalk. Just one thing though. What would be the point in simply disengaging the gain - cleans? Alexi doesn't do cleans. I don't get it.

2: It looks like the GP-1000 is selling for $350-$400 area on Ebay right now click here for link. I have no problems paying that amount. I will need to switch the tubes to what they use though (will edit this post in later when I can look at my notes again). Apparently they use Groove Tubes: link (click)

3: None of the ebay listings I can find specify a 52mm f-spacing to accommodate floyd trem, though many of them do say they're pulled from Charvel Model 6's and other such guitars which do have the trems - leads me to believe they probably compatible with my guitar, f-spaced or not? Besides, everything else I've read online suggests that the f-spacing isn't a big deal in the first place. I'll just have to take off the cover and eye it up. If it looks way wrong, then the answer is obvious.. but I don't imagine that's going to be an issue. If it is, I'll just have to keep buying them (and selling the "wrong" non-f-psaced ones) until I get it right. I assume this (click) would work just fine as long as it's 4 wires. I will probably bid on that one, actually. Do you see a problem I don't?

4: Dang, that didn't occur to me. It seems to me the volume pot would steal some of the trebly sound, resulting in a warmer tone, correct? It's like the same thing as if you had the JE-1000 installed inside the guitar (instead of pedal form), but with a 250k resistor attaching the JE-1000 input (where the guitar plugs in) to ground. Maybe I'll be better off putting the JE-1000 inside the guitar after all.

5: Damn. I try to buy different brands but haven't come across anything yet. I may end up trying some lubrication techniques. Another buddy of mine suggested some. I will edit this post with a few links (or just more info) once I can get to that info again. Everybody loves resistance-free pots, right?! =] Still pot troubleshooting: link (click)

I don't know crap about the intellifex. I just need to be able to use a good reverb/EQ off from it. I currently have NO reverb NOR EQ! I would go with whatever's good, and from what I have read so far, the online isn't good. What's wrong with the blackface - didn't Alexi use that? I suppose I would go with the g major, then, if that's your recommendation. It doesn't seem like the exact model would be too important on the tone as long as it was set up right. C'mon it's just EQ and reverb... but yeah I want it to be good. And FYI I'm not exclusively seeking Alexi's tone (though I definitely want to do that too!) - I want to create some of my own sounds, as Melodic Death Metal isn't the only genre I play and love.

Thanks for the input Rune! Do you mind looking a few posts back to make sure I gave that guy good advice as well? I'd hate to screw somebody up.

Hi,

I got your PM so decided to come and post here. Thanks to Rune for being a source of information because I actually have no idea on any of it! Never have understood anything regarding amps if I'm honest, I did own a GP-1000 once but never used it to it's full potential so I sold it!

No thank you kind sir for making this awesome thread
By the way, do you still have your ADA MP-1?

Just got one from my friend for cheaps, and it's supposed to be modded just like Paul Gilbert's. Sounds awesome! Better then all videos of regular and modded versions from Youtube.

Rune, I bought an J-50 BC from ebay here (click) for $80 (just one pup). Should work fine. The output is rated at 9.1k Ohms DC resistance. I also heard there's no tonal difference with f-spaced, and no visual difference with the pup covered, which is my personal preference. Either way, should work perfectly I would imagine. What is the output rating on your "good" f-spaced J-50 BC pup?

I also picked up a working GP-1000 for $315.66 with shipping included, stocked with Tung-Sol tubes. I was thinking of replacing the tubes with these (click) which I believe were the originals.

I guess there's no way I'm gonna be able to buy a je-1000, but I'm fairly confident I can make a better one anyway. That hardware is 2 decades old and counting. I'll be sure to use very high quality parts, all shielded thread wire, lead solder, and probably even a conformal coating. It'll be quieter than a mouse, with all the controls available at the pedal's front plate. Better than the original.

I heard good things about these (click) $4.75 pots.

1. Yeah that's a good one. Mine rates 8.9kohms, but its as close as as best as you can get to the suggested rateing of 9.1k. EMG-HZ is supposed to be around 12komhs :p

2. The GP-1000 was greatly priced. A little less then what I paid for both mine. The original (which I still got in one of mine is a 12AX7C made in China, Guess you have to ask Lee Jackson where he bought them, because they are not labled.

3. To get your hands on an original JE-1000 is close to impossible, and even if you get it some components could be damaged from the years of use. I searched ebay and jackson forums for two years before I found 1 original, and my second one was stock with my Jackson RR Customshop. Copies are available on ebay and here/jcforum.com from time to time, but if you're that good with components and crafting motherboards for units, then i'm sure it's an easy task.

4. My knowledge on pots are only what I read elsewhere, so I really can't tell. I only use what comes with the guitar or the pickups I've bought.

Rune, I bought an J-50 BC from ebay here (click) for $80 (just one pup). Should work fine. The output is rated at 9.1k Ohms DC resistance. I also heard there's no tonal difference with f-spaced, and no visual difference with the pup covered, which is my personal preference. Either way, should work perfectly I would imagine. What is the output rating on your "good" f-spaced J-50 BC pup?

I also picked up a working GP-1000 for $315.66 with shipping included, stocked with Tung-Sol tubes. I was thinking of replacing the tubes with these (click) which I believe were the originals.

I guess there's no way I'm gonna be able to buy a je-1000, but I'm fairly confident I can make a better one anyway. That hardware is 2 decades old and counting. I'll be sure to use very high quality parts, all shielded thread wire, lead solder, and probably even a conformal coating. It'll be quieter than a mouse, with all the controls available at the pedal's front plate. Better than the original.

I heard good things about these (click) $4.75 pots.

I saw the JE-1000 copy on ebay, and I wouldn't dream of paying $50 for that. The guy is a jerk, and the product isn't particularly astounding. Dead end. I can build it better for a lower price, and infinitely more satisfaction.

I did manage to haggle some decent deals on the GP-1000 and pup though, huh? I honestly can't pinpoint what that pup should actually be worth. It's not like it ever goes bad unless you've been pretty unreasonable with it, and even then it might not be beyond fixing DIY. And I can always put a different cover on it and just pretend it's a different pickup. The proof will be in the sound.

Pretending an original JE-1000 sounds always better than any copy is bullshit by the way. The one I bought from a forum member here has a great wah-effect and sounds so damn excellent.

I changend the J-50 BC with the HZ-H4 because I'm more a fan an more aggressive tone. The tone on HB or FTW is pretty cool but has no real power in it.

I've got one of those copies in my jackson stars. sounds okey. It's a lot better than all the other copies I've seen for sale (here and ebay). If you ever make a pedal, hit me up with a copy. :)

You did sone great deals with them both. The pickup varies a great deal. $149 - $50. I bought a charvel 4 model for $20 once :)

Has the JE-1000 some kind of an internal gain boost which is always on? I was asking because yesterday I did a jam-session with one of my friends. He owns an ESP eclipse II with EMG 81 (and 85?) and we did a little sound test. We both have new batteries in our guitars but when we swapt our guitars, my LTD with JE-1000 off had a lot more gain and was more aggressiv than his guitar. I really thought that it must be the other way because he has active pickups in his guitar ??? So has the HZ-H$ more power than the EMG 81 or has it really something to do with the JE-1000?

The emg hz and the je-1000 combined have a higher output level than the emg 81. regardless of the gain boost.

where did you guys get your copy of JE-1000? there's only one on ebay and I don't know anything about it's quality!

by the way guys this might be a weird question! I live in an island which means extreme humidity!!

a friend of mine has two ESPs one is in gold hardware and the other black. he bought both axes in the same year.

but I noticed that rust has crept over the black floyd and it's very visible. but the gold one is exactly like the first day!! also I should mention that he takes care about them at the same level!

I used to think and was told that the gold hardware tarnishes much faster than chrome and black! but I've seen the opposite now!
so I'm quite confused now!

It will probably be 2 to 4 months before I make my JE-1000 copies since I have a lot of other stuff going on in my life right now. I'm absolutely going to do it, though, and I'll let you guys know about the results.

If anybody wants an email when this happens, I can do that too - sometimes people get bored and stop visiting forums for a while, myself included.

As for the rust problem, what are you gonna do? If you leave the guitar in the case with some silica gel, I guess it won't rust... but damn... an unplayed guitar is such a shameful sight in my opinion. I wonder about just trying to clean it up the next time you change the strings? You'll have to fully make all the adjustments again, but I would wonder about using some #0000 Super Fine Steel Wool and Tarn-X (or other tarnish remover) to scrub at it for a while? Better now than when it's even worse. Rust takes a lot of elbow grease to remove. I also notice that gold hardware (straplocks, bridges, etc) tend to be more expensive than the other colors. Maybe that means better materials? (probably not) Weird.

It will probably be 2 to 4 months before I make my JE-1000 copies since I have a lot of other stuff going on in my life right now. I'm absolutely going to do it, though, and I'll let you guys know about the results.

If anybody wants an email when this happens, I can do that too - sometimes people get bored and stop visiting forums for a while, myself included.

As for the rust problem, what are you gonna do? If you leave the guitar in the case with some silica gel, I guess it won't rust... but damn... an unplayed guitar is such a shameful sight in my opinion. I wonder about just trying to clean it up the next time you change the strings? You'll have to fully make all the adjustments again, but I would wonder about using some #0000 Super Fine Steel Wool and Tarn-X (or other tarnish remover) to scrub at it for a while? Better now than when it's even worse. Rust takes a lot of elbow grease to remove. I also notice that gold hardware (straplocks, bridges, etc) tend to be more expensive than the other colors. Maybe that means better materials? (probably not) Weird.

I can't believe how fucked up my memory is!! I told everything except the main point:D

I was planning to get a German floyd for my Jackson. and I was thinking about getting the black one because I thought the gold tarnishes much faster than the black and the chrome!

but now that I've seen what happened to my friends guitar I'm doubtful about getting the gold or black one!

( My Jackson is a Black/Yellow RR24 so chrome cannot be considered)

I wish you good luck on your way to building the replica :) I may get one later but I need one nowadays too!