The Children Of Bodom Gear Thread

Mesa Boogie Mark series has tons of mids, but you are correct about the thightness, they also got a hell lot of bass which Alexi seem to want these days.

Yeah the Mark amps are the holy grail in my opinion, just so expensive and hard to dial in.

What's interesting though, is that they have the bias switch if Alexi wants to throw in EL34 tubes for more sharpness. But I don't know of any players that do it. Rectifiers can do that too, but they're known for the opposite side of the tonal spectrum.

And if I'm going to be honest, I didn't like Alexi's tone so much on Halo. On some songs like Bodom Blue Moon the brightness worked but for Your Days Are Numbered I think a smoother tone would do the song more justice. I'd be shocked, but maybe a Mesa is the step in right direction for Alexi.

Yeah the Mark amps are the holy grail in my opinion, just so expensive and hard to dial in.

What's interesting though, is that they have the bias switch if Alexi wants to throw in EL34 tubes for more sharpness. But I don't know of any players that do it. Rectifiers can do that too, but they're known for the opposite side of the tonal spectrum.

And if I'm going to be honest, I didn't like Alexi's tone so much on Halo. On some songs like Bodom Blue Moon the brightness worked but for Your Days Are Numbered I think a smoother tone would do the song more justice. I'd be shocked, but maybe a Mesa is the step in right direction for Alexi.

They are too expensive in my opinion, they are the only amps out there that justifies the prices on Axe FX and Kemper. $2000++ for an amp is kind of too much.

Knowing that Alexi like simple rigs and racks he might toss in a MESA BOOGIE Studio Preamp or Triaxis, those two are really able to get the Mark tones spot on. And run it through the fryette for brightness and clarity. A Rectifier Preamp is also possible, but never been a fan of the overall tone on those, too dark and too loose.

I totally agree with you on Alexi's tone, it is too bright, should have lowered the presence and treble knobs just a tad and added some low-mids somehow.
Mesa Boogie might be just right for Alexi, would be fun to hear. Even if it is just for a coversong or a demo.

Speaking of Kemper....

Here's a kemper profile of my modded gp1000

kv2 j50bc je1000
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/42168306/Kemper_gp1000_lead.mp3

And something heavier (different gp1000 profile)

1992 Rhoads pro blackouts
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/42168306/That B Dropped.mp3

Nice stuff, sound about the same as mine. What poweramp did you use, or just direct input?

Is this the first gainstage mod I told you about, or did you add some more stuff? Sound as the first gainstage mod, but can't be sure unless you post settings n' stuff.

BTW, I've been thinking back and forth about Kemper or Axe Fx 2, I'll guess I have to save for a year to get enough cash, or sell some gear to achieve them, is it really as great as they say? Or is it just for studio usage?

That's just Lee Jackson not knowing Alexis setup, and not knowing Alexi had done lots of mods to his GP to make it sound more angry and distorted.

b3208900-bcf1-4095-bd6e-0bf302a610a9.JPG

A pair of rigs featuring Lee Jackson’s GP-1000 belonging to Children of Bodom’s Alexi Laiho.

How long have Alexi and Roope been using the Lee Jackson Perfect Connection GP-1000 preamp?

I started working with Alexi in 2001, and he was already using the GP-1000. Alexi recorded the last CD, Blooddrunk, with the new model from Marshall, the Kerry King amp, and he was pretty happy with the sound. But as soon we started our next world tour, we had quite a lot of problems with these amps, so Alexi decided to go back to the old stuff he was using, because we never had any problems with these.

There are two or three basic versions of this preamp, which can be ascertained by the serial number. What are the serial numbers of these GP-1000 preamps?

They are 880531 and 870576. We do have a spare one, which I don’t have the serial number for right now, because the gear is on the way to the next festival.

Which brand of tubes are preferred for their GP-1000s?

Usually, we’re using Groove Tubes for preamps and power amps.

What are the settings for each GP-1000?

The settings for both players are different, but basically it’s: preamp Volume on maximum, Distortion [push-pull pot] pulled out and on maximum; the Middle pretty much on full, Bass and Treble in mid-position. Alexi likes a pretty bright and mid sound for his solo parts. Roope was using more low end on the preamp. I can add that both guys, Alexi and Roope, are using internal boosters for their guitars to get enough distortion from the preamp.

Have any modifications been performed on their GP-1000s?

Yes. Both preamps of Alexi and Roope are modified. A guy in Helsinki made them have a little more distortion.

Recent eBay listings of the GP-1000 have concluded at $600 and $620 and the value appears to be continuing to climb. This is no doubt in part due to its use by Children of Bodom. What are your thoughts on being the leading proponent on the GP-1000 and single-handedly raising the value and profile of these preamps?

From the tech side, I just can say this is one of the best compliments for the Lee Jackson guys. Alexi is one of the best shredders in the world, and of course especially on eBay, the prices will raise from day to day. Personally, I think it is a shame that they stopped building this preamp. I am sure many people would be happy if Lee Jackson would build a new version of the GP-1000 again in a 19-inch version.

What are the settings for each GP-1000?

The settings for both players are different, but basically it’s: preamp Volume on maximum, Distortion [push-pull pot] pulled out and on maximum; the Middle pretty much on full, Bass and Treble in mid-position. Alexi likes a pretty bright and mid sound for his solo parts. Roope was using more low end on the preamp. I can add that both guys, Alexi and Roope, are using internal boosters for their guitars to get enough distortion from the preamp.

Have any modifications been performed on their GP-1000s?

Yes. Both preamps of Alexi and Roope are modified. A guy in Helsinki made them have a little more distortion.

Nice stuff, sound about the same as mine. What poweramp did you use, or just direct input?

Is this the first gainstage mod I told you about, or did you add some more stuff? Sound as the first gainstage mod, but can't be sure unless you post settings n' stuff.

BTW, I've been thinking back and forth about Kemper or Axe Fx 2, I'll guess I have to save for a year to get enough cash, or sell some gear to achieve them, is it really as great as they say? Or is it just for studio usage?

VHT 2/50/2 with JJ kt66s thru Marshall 1960b. Leadish patch is 906 and other is 57. It has gain and voltage mods.

Bassist has an ultra and the kemper kills it.

I,used to own a vht 2502 but I used Kt77 tubes in it ans EL34, but didn't get it to sound that good, well done. What voltage mods did you do? Overall voltage reduced or increased, think the main course of the stock amp has 400 volts running through it.?

I,used to own a vht 2502 but I used Kt77 tubes in it ans EL34, but didn't get it to sound that good, well done. What voltage mods did you do? Overall voltage reduced or increased, think the main course of the stock amp has 400 volts running through it.?

Maybe they were 77s, not sure now. Did you run it in a or ab mode? I'll probably get an sp1000 again and make more profiles.

The plate voltage to certain gain stages were increased. I've got a stock 88 at home too. I will do the gain mod when I get back in 8 weeks and do that as well.

Maybe they were 77s, not sure now. Did you run it in a or ab mode? I'll probably get an sp1000 again and make more profiles.

The plate voltage to certain gain stages were increased. I've got a stock 88 at home too. I will do the gain mod when I get back in 8 weeks and do that as well.

I ran it on A/B for more power on a Marshall 1936 cabinet.

Ah, that is about the same we are doing with the clone process at the moment, so with some of the mods we added it should sound quite similar to yours.
But I think we've pushed the other parameters of the amp some more as well with additional mods.

I ran it on A/B for more power on a Marshall 1936 cabinet.

Ah, that is about the same we are doing with the clone process at the moment, so with some of the mods we added it should sound quite similar to yours.
But I think we've pushed the other parameters of the amp some more as well with additional mods.

I'm quite satisfied with it. Or at least the kemper'd version. I ran an ashley pqx para band after the gp for more eq options so i've got some pretty heavy stuff in there as well.

Now if only there was a pickup like the j50bc but tighter/less gritty.

On the pickups choice, I have often wondered how the Dimarzio Paf Pro would sound with the JE-1000. It has about the same measurements as the J-50BC.
J-50BC is also based on the original PAF pickups, which all are low output but clear pickups. EMG HZ H2 is also based upon that one, and I think H1 is as well, and I would love to hear SD SH-1 with the JE-1000 as well. Some of those has a bit different characteristics, so it is very possible that you could get something that is tighter and less trebly. Again ceramic humbuckers are ment to have that brightness, but also high clarity, maybe you should look into pickups without ceramic poles?

On the pickups choice, I have often wondered how the Dimarzio Paf Pro would sound with the JE-1000. It has about the same measurements as the J-50BC.
J-50BC is also based on the original PAF pickups, which all are low output but clear pickups. EMG HZ H2 is also based upon that one, and I think H1 is as well, and I would love to hear SD SH-1 with the JE-1000 as well. Some of those has a bit different characteristics, so it is very possible that you could get something that is tighter and less trebly. Again ceramic humbuckers are ment to have that brightness, but also high clarity, maybe you should look into pickups without ceramic poles?

I have an H4 in my rr24 and it definitely has a tighter low end but too much low mids taken out = thin tweedly stuff