The Children Of Bodom Gear Thread

Sorry that the JE-1000 clone isn't at his posession yet, we are still getting information about mods on the GP-1000 from Alexi's tech, and I think we have sorted out the hiss problems. So there will be pics and sound testing from TWWC ASAP. Then when everything is superb he'll ship it to me and I'll ship the old unit and the JE-1000 to him. I rather have everything working 100% this time around, so it will take it's time. But it would be worth it for those who wants the clone and Alexis sound in general.

Yo Rune, two questions...

1.) Is it better to pull the gain of my Je-1000 to max and reduce gain on my amp and distortion pedal or the other way?

2.) I want to sand the complete varnish of my guitar neck with sandpaper for two reasons: I think it looks cooler and I want to get my neck faster. Good idea or not? (I did it 2 years before with 1000 sandpaper but only removed just a bit of the varnish and it was indeed a lot easier to play)

1.) I always keep any booster at max and reduce the gain on all my other amps except the GP and the clone. As an example I put my Peavey 5150IIs gain at 5-6 (1-2 o'clock), JCM 2000 at about the same and my ENGL preamps at 4-5 (11-12 o'clock), more than enough on high gain amps with the booster. GP-1000 isn't a high gain amp, the clone is kind of, but only when maxed.

2.) Good Idea, but use as light sandpaper as possible, might even be good to use wet sandpaper to get it as silky smooth as possible. I haven't done it on any of my guitars, but my ESP Alexi STD needs it as it's back is getting kind of sticky from the gloss finish.
I wouldn't sand a painted one to the bare though, would look pretty ugly with painting sticking out here and there (if you don't do it 100% and sand the whole neck up to the binding of the fretboard), if you really need to sand it, wet sand it slightly with super light sandpaper so that the paint don't wear off or oil it with oil based for guitar neck, should be available at your local guitar shop, at least all I've seen has stacked up with all kinds of oils.

Ok thx. My idea was it to completely remove the varnish down to wood and then oil it. Should not take longer than one or two hours I think. I will post some pics when I'm ready.

A guy at my work does that. It feels great too. Going to have it done to my RR24 eventually but I may just remove all of the paint from the body completely and then use some wood dye on it and then go over it with a very thin hand oiled finish.

Removing all the varnish is a pain in the ass! :D But it plays great

Got any pics? I've always thought about doing this.

Was it a pain and the dick to get it off near the neck binding without fucking up the binding? That is my biggest concern.

Guys, am I correct that in the pink ESP there is seymour duncan AHB-1 and some boost (from EMG?) ? Why would anyone do that with an active pickup?

Guys, am I correct that in the pink ESP there is seymour duncan AHB-1 and some boost (from EMG?) ? Why would anyone do that with an active pickup?

Yes, depends on the date made though, it has an AHB-1 + an MM04 Gainbooster

depending on when the guitar was made it has an EMG HZ-FH2 or AHB-1

That is correct, but newer models of the same guitar have EMG HZ H2
Its really a stupid idea to have any active pickup with the booster, first off it will sound like ass if you have the booster on, even at small boosting, and secondly it sucks the 12v battery flat in a month with daily playing. My ESP Alexi STD had the AHB-1 - MM-04 combo, but switched as soon as I could to a EMG HZ H4.
Same shitty sounding resaults goes for all the active EMG's 81,85, 89 ect.
I've heard and seen that active EMG's sound OK with the Jackson JE-1200 mid booster, but I haven't tested that yet, have a spare EMG 81 and a shitty guitar with an old JE-1200 I bought of ebay to test, might give it a shot later on. Search on youtube to find some videos with the different pickup booster combos.

Alexi and Roopes current live rig, (Rockstar Energy Drink Mayhem Festival)
kuva-1_s708x0_noupscale.jpg

Roope:
Monster Pro 3500
Sennheiser G3 EW500 wireless
Englin E530 preamp
Fryette Two/Ninety/Two
Engl V30 cabs

Alexi:
Englin E530 preamp
Fryette Two/Ninety/Two
Marshall 1960BX cabs

On European gigs Alexi uses Marshall JVM410 head.

http://backstage.custom-sounds.com/19-rack/children-of-bodom-usa-tour-2013-kitararakki (in Finnish)

Alexi and Roopes current live rig, (Rockstar Energy Drink Mayhem Festival)
kuva-1_s708x0_noupscale.jpg

Roope:
Monster Pro 3500
Englin E530 preamp
Fryette Two/Ninety/Two
Engl V30 cabs

Alexi:
Englin E530 preamp
Fryette Two/Ninety/Two
Marshall 1960BX cabs

On European gigs Alexi uses Marshall JVM410 head.

http://backstage.custom-sounds.com/19-rack/children-of-bodom-usa-tour-2013-kitararakki (in Finnish)

I still find it very hard to believe that Alexi's 190watt Fryette could work with a 100w cabinet. He must have replaced the greenbacks with V30's.
And it is also one aspect that makes his sound very different from ehat he used in the early era (1997-2003) when he used regular 75t's in the cabs. Also still don't understand why artists keeps on toneshifting and tonesearching when they allready got the perfect sound, like metallica, van halen and many others do.

His sound is all the pickup with that weird wah-like sound. ANY amp will work.

Any amp will work, but just a couple would sound awesome. Wonder how a Alexi guitar would sound with a real good mesa boogie?
Thats about the only thing he hasn't tried yet. Well his Sansamp preset is based on something similar, but that's really not the same as a real tube amp.

Any amp will work, but just a couple would sound awesome. Wonder how a Alexi guitar would sound with a real good mesa boogie?

I'd be surprised as hell if Alexi ever used a boogie. His tone has always been an overdriven British/Marshall sound with an emphasis on a lot of mid range. Mesa is the total opposite side of the spectrum, generally. More emphasis on tightness and scooped mids!

Mesa Boogie Mark series has tons of mids, but you are correct about the thightness, they also got a hell lot of bass which Alexi seem to want these days.