The Children Of Bodom Gear Thread

It's a NAMM (guitar conference) 2008 ESP SV Custom Shop model based upon Alexi Laiho's signature series. According to HOB bonus DVD, Alexi thought it was too *bling bling* and as Roope said "gay", but Roope thought it was cool and bought it. Probably got some discount since he is endorsed by ESP.
Only difference from the Alexi guitar's is that the headstock got a saw-blade headstock, the ESP logo is "toothpaste" written as it is on certain others ESP models and of course the diamond style color and pinstripes.

i have a gp 1000 that i have some questions about. when i bought it the seller said it was an '88 version but from pics ive seen the 88 has some kind of board right below the tubes and mine does not have that. the serial is 870423. i dont think its an 87 tho cuz it doesnt have the auxiliary input thing on the back. maybe its the "transition" model ive heard about? idk. to my ears it sounds like a normal 88 version. do you think i can benefit from the first gainstage mod? ive seen Rune knows alot about these. any input? i can post pics of the inside when i get a chance.

i have a gp 1000 that i have some questions about. when i bought it the seller said it was an '88 version but from pics ive seen the 88 has some kind of board right below the tubes and mine does not have that. the serial is 870423. i dont think its an 87 tho cuz it doesnt have the auxiliary input thing on the back. maybe its the "transition" model ive heard about? idk. to my ears it sounds like a normal 88 version. do you think i can benefit from the first gainstage mod? ive seen Rune knows alot about these. any input? i can post pics of the inside when i get a chance.

Definatly a transition model, judged by the high end 87 number and the description on the tube pcb missing (some models had the components soldered directly to the tube sockets, but to be absolutly sure you could post some close-ups of the "motherboard".

Ain't going to give you the Bodom tone thought, if it is not modified.

OmnVdg6.jpg

k. heres the mboard. what mods aside from the first gain stage mod would have to be done do make it sound "bodom"

OmnVdg6.jpg

k. heres the mboard. what mods aside from the first gain stage mod would have to be done do make it sound "bodom"

Not anyone I would share, it wouldn't be fair to either Alexi's tech or TWCC which are making money on it.

It actually seems like you have the first gainstage mod.
The amp is handmade by lee jackson himself (got one too) he handsigned all the amps he worked on. You got a really strange one, the trimpot is replaced by a pot on the back of the amp. No tube pcb. And different first gainstage. The rest looks very 88'ish, both parts and chassis.
Must have been specailly made for someone.

Actually, the caps which adds bass frequencies are replaced with another type, might got more bass as well.

Could you post a pic of the first gainstage, blue large component at the right top of the motherboard?

And perhaps one or two that covers the board just above the EQ pots?

Nah, it is the stock value on the first gainstage. No modification made, and should be like that when the unit is stock on all 87' versions unless otherwise was requested when ordering the amp.
I think it was the lighting when watching the first picture at my cellphone yesterday that fooled me into believing that it looked different.

k. just double checking....mine is a late transition model(meaning it will have the tone of the 88 model. the marshall sound) and if i do the first gainstage mod i should be able to achieve the bodom tone correct?

gDmPm24.png
[/IMG]

for anyone interested i found this signal chain for alexis old rig. i think aydy era?

Yeah, except VHT/Fryette 2:90:2 not 2:50:2 as in the picture.
Alexi never used the intellifex blackface, he used the on-line.
Also the Sansamp PSA 1 is connected and used paralell with the gp-1000 on channel 2. Provides a more fuller sound and more bass to the rig.

And that isn't just a theory, that is plain fact as you can see that Alexi and Roope both have two wireless recievers and the PSA is always on in both studio and live pictures.

It's slightly wrong, you should have bare wire and green together too. Otherwise, correct.

Norbix:
There is no one, and I mean NO ONE that has Alexi's old setup. Not even myself. Or Alexi as a matter of fact. And that's just for the live tone, studio tone is even harder to capture, meaning you'll need compressors, tube enhancers, studio effects, EQ and all the shit in a DAW to get close enough.

Yeah that's kind of my point. It seems difficult as hell to match the tone even with a lot of his old gear, but imo it's probably easier to do it with modern gear. When I get home later I'll post a clip of some guy playing Hatebreeder I believe with a JVM210 and gets very close!

Here's that vid. You can never really get an accurate depiction of tone if the teal track is also playing but it's the closest I've seen someone coming to Hatebreeder studio tone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's that vid. You can never really get an accurate depiction of tone if the teal track is also playing but it's the closest I've seen someone coming to Hatebreeder studio tone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3X1HLyCiUI

Let me guess, a EMG 81? The sound is too sharp, just like on HOB and live with ENGL e530. Especially on the solos. You get close on the riffing, but
he could get closer with the right pickups. Actually the amp isn't too far away circuit wise as it is based upon some of the mods done to the JCM 800 from the late 80's.

But no matter what amp you play on you can't get that smooth sound you get from a modded Lee Jackson. It's like a middle pickup with a lot better harmonics through an amp that is just based around low mid rage. There really is not many amps out there anymore like that. Lee Jackson might be a tool/fool when it comes to marketing and sloppy on the manufacturing/modding, but he made some of the best amps for heavy metal in history.

Edit:
BTW isn't that a JVM 410?