The Children Of Bodom Gear Thread

just to mention about the J50BC, you got an IMPORT version that looks like an USA pup (extending logo). and there is the IMPORT version that looks like the modern Jackson pickups (smaller pup with painted logo) they are both import
than you got the USA USA USA J50BC wich most of them got the Extending screws sticking out from the bottom,

That means it is an import J-50BC

just hope it isn't to overly trebly as some of them tend to be.

and for the JE-1000 cloning: might take a while... as in months... haven't even sorted everything out with the gp/sp clones, and TWWC is still in China for business.

I might buy a clone from ebay, i read here that it isnt completely perfect copy of the original soundwise but it will do i think. otherwise...pup wont run anywhere now :)

thx for your help rune

I might buy a clone from ebay, i read here that it isnt completely perfect copy of the original soundwise but it will do i think. otherwise...pup wont run anywhere now :)

thx for your help rune

The last one I bought from ebay was made with cheap components and had lower output than the one I bought a year or two ago. I think they are trying to get as much money as they can out of it. I would actually rather buy a $99 Alexi pickup package instead.

The last one I bought from ebay was made with cheap components and had lower output than the one I bought a year or two ago. I think they are trying to get as much money as they can out of it. I would actually rather buy a $99 Alexi pickup package instead.

Btw the multimeter was giving 1 as output when i did not connect anything. Is that normal?
Or do i have to substract it from the measured resistance? Coz then it would be 8.25

Atm idk if i'd install it yet since i do not have a GP1000 and i dont know if the pup is gonna be better then the EMG without GP1000.

Btw the multimeter was giving 1 as output when i did not connect anything. Is that normal?
Or do i have to substract it from the measured resistance? Coz then it would be 8.25

Atm idk if i'd install it yet since i do not have a GP1000 and i dont know if the pup is gonna be better then the EMG without GP1000.

Dude I was wrong about one thing. Green is the lead wire and the bare and the black should be connected together, but it dosen't really matter, should be the same result.

Well, an original GP-1000 won't give you a bodom sound, and they go for more than they are worth because it got the reputation that it is one of the best preamps for metal out there when it really isn't (original that is).

Just keep your EMG for now, it's a better choice until you have something to connect the J-50BC to. Because without a boost and some EQing it would sound sterile and sharp, without any real definition. It really is just a clone of the old PAF humbuckers. I bet you could take any PAF clone like the Dimarzio PAF Pro or the Seymour Duncan JB SH-1 and get almost the same sound as the J-50BC.

Dude I was wrong about one thing. Green is the lead wire and the bare and the black should be connected together, but it dosen't really matter, should be the same result.

Well, an original GP-1000 won't give you a bodom sound, and they go for more than they are worth because it got the reputation that it is one of the best preamps for metal out there when it really isn't (original that is).

Just keep your EMG for now, it's a better choice until you have something to connect the J-50BC to. Because without a boost and some EQing it would sound sterile and sharp, without any real definition. It really is just a clone of the old PAF humbuckers. I bet you could take any PAF clone like the Dimarzio PAF Pro or the Seymour Duncan JB SH-1 and get almost the same sound as the J-50BC.

my other jackson has a JB SH-4 lol sharp as hell(like it).
btw any news on TWCC? I mean when will th GP replica be fixed? bcuz atm it seems like a bust thread.

The JB SH-4 has a lot more output, you could compare it to a EMG HZ H4 or even stronger signal than that.

No news on TWCC as of this week, but I know he has everything set at home waiting for him, all the parts, chassis, a new front, and he bought some custom made Chinese transformers over there to shave some costs and weight. So he'll most likely would be making a new one for me and I'll be sending the one I have in return. Too many errors and too inconsistent, partly my fault too as we did discuss the pots (all of them need replacement, they are LOG when they should have been LIN (affects how much each knob should be set and the overall volume of the amp is lower.

We had a heck of a time trying to figure out all the suggested mods as the tech was not giving us accurate values. (Just double this or increase that). And the second EQ is a mess, and we didn't communicate well enough on that, it's a passive EQ placed before the distortion on the GP circuit and it actually colors the tone and makes a huge buzz when it is deactivated. The EQ should have been active and placed on it's own circuit with true bypass switching.

When we get that sorted out, and the new unit arrives, I will ship the JE-1000 with the old unit.

so basically you say that the GP1000 must be modded to have the bodom sound? sorry I just jumped into conversation but this question just came to my mind.

so basically you say that the GP1000 must be modded to have the bodom sound? sorry I just jumped into conversation but this question just came to my mind.

It must at least have the first gainstage "update", or else it is too fizzy and medium gain.

hold on, by gainstage update ? JE-1000 term ? or like the GP-1000 itself modded ? cause what i remember was Alexi's was an 87 model GP-1000 wich was modded, *equald to the 88 model ?*
could be that i got that mod thing wrong ?

hold on, by gainstage update ? JE-1000 term ? or like the GP-1000 itself modded ? cause what i remember was Alexi's was an 87 model GP-1000 wich was modded, *equald to the 88 model ?*
could be that i got that mod thing wrong ?

The GP-1000 modded with a lower cap and resistor in the first gainstsge to provide a bit more and smoother distortion. Takes away the fizz. Was done to all the latest 88 models as a standard. (beyond 881000 I assume). The only difference between 87 and 88 early versions are a higher cap and resistor in the EQ, gives it a brighter sound for fender and a mid heavey one for marshall.

TWCC has switches for both those mods in his clone.

I did the first gainstage update/mod last year to both my gp-1000.

awww im on 880544 :(

it does sound very bodomish but oh well :p

yeah, but don't you notice it got a more high frequent (almost fizzy) instead of the round middle frequency based bodom tone, and dosen't it lack just a tiny bit of gain/distortion?

i can try to make an record for ya ? cause might not get what you mean

http://www.mediafire.com/?n33fmr3r33j64vc Recorded with Edwards HZ-H4 MM-04
http://www.mediafire.com/?lwqzepfbuoj1cw5 Recorded with Jackson J50BC JE-1000 (OLD STRINGS)

its just an Real quick sound record lol
this is recorded with an gopro lol, converted the files to MP3

How did you record this, just GP direct outputs to PC or?
I can really tell that it does not have the updated gainstage, it is very trebly and lacks gain, especially with the j-50BC-JE-1000 combo. The MM-04 had the gain trimpot on max or?
It sounds very much like lowbergs old gp video when you use the j-50bc-je-1000 combo, it is too dry and too trebly, lacks gain/distortion/sustain.

How did you record this, just GP direct outputs to PC or?
I can really tell that it does not have the updated gainstage, it is very trebly and lacks gain, especially with the j-50BC-JE-1000 combo. The MM-04 had the gain trimpot on max or?
It sounds very much like lowbergs old gp video when you use the j-50bc-je-1000 combo, it is too dry and too trebly, lacks gain/distortion/sustain.

its recorded by the mic from the Gopro cam, converted to mp3.

but sadly im not in the updated gainstage era,
is this an easy to do mod for an home hobby electronic guy ?

So you recorded your gp into your marshall combo with the mic of a camcorder? Well thats bound to sound a bit fizzy. But I don't think you have the mod. You could take a closeup picture of the components just beneath the tube PCB and I can tell.

It's almost as easy as installing a new pickup in your guitar. You need to open the top of the gp-1000, and unscrew the front, you need to remove all the knobs (just pull hard) and untighten the pots from the front chassis, also be carefull since the poweron button is glued to the front chassis. On the main PCB there is 3 screws you need to remove and lift it carefully up and hold it there, then you need a not too powerfull (10w would do) solder iron and remove two components on the first gainstage (1.5kohm resistor 22uf cap to a 825ohm resistor and 0.68uf cap).