The Children Of Bodom Gear Thread

That really is JVM 410. And the pickup on DK2M should be JB.

Bodom used that amp and Engl e530 at the last album, so that explains the sharpness, also the JB in bridge position is a bit sharp, not as much as a EMG thought.

For a while I thought they used a JCM 2210 (high gain Marshall with two channels) because they used that in the pre-album teaser for practice.)

But the amps are really alike. So is the JCM 2000. Some like one, some the other.

Alexi also used Marshall Kerry King signature amp while recording some of the previous albums, not sure which one though.

Alexi also used Marshall Kerry King signature amp while recording some of the previous albums, not sure which one though.

Blooddrunk, which he also did use on the first leg of the 2008 tour along with SD Blackouts as pickup, when he changed to his EMG signature (basically just a EMG-HZ H2 + MM-04) he hated the sound, or it didn't work out that great. So he went back to the old rack.

The KK version got the Kerry King MXR EQ built in to it and a noisegate + KT88 tubes instead of EL34's. He also used a BOSS SD with it, because the Blackout even though it is active, doesn't have enough gain/output. Same goes for the active EMG's.

Bodom used that amp and Engl e530 at the last album, so that explains the sharpness, also the JB in bridge position is a bit sharp, not as much as a EMG thought.

For a while I thought they used a JCM 2210 (high gain Marshall with two channels) because they used that in the pre-album teaser for practice.)

But the amps are really alike. So is the JCM 2000. Some like one, some the other.

Wait, I always thought they recorded RRF through a Blackstar head. Am I just crazy and they never ever used a Blackstar in their lives? lol

Wait, I always thought they recorded RRF through a Blackstar head. Am I just crazy and they never ever used a Blackstar in their lives? lol

Yeah they also used a Blackstar S100 when doubling tracks, but as of the pictures and videos from the studio, the little rack unit on the desk with engl e530, g-major & sp-1000 seemed mostly used. Due to being on all the time and having a guitar cable/jack in to it all the time, while the Blackstar seemed unplugged and off. They probably also have some riffs with the gp-1000 as Alexi said it broke down during the recording, but Alexi is famous for lying about his equipment. So who knows?

Hi

I have bought a Line6 Studio UX2 with POD Farm included

my Question being: where can i get more models of amps etc and does anyoe have a good preset to share? Arcane?
I kinda like the hatebreeder tone

Let me guess, a EMG 81? The sound is too sharp, just like on HOB and live with ENGL e530. Especially on the solos. You get close on the riffing, but
he could get closer with the right pickups. Actually the amp isn't too far away circuit wise as it is based upon some of the mods done to the JCM 800 from the late 80's.

But no matter what amp you play on you can't get that smooth sound you get from a modded Lee Jackson. It's like a middle pickup with a lot better harmonics through an amp that is just based around low mid rage. There really is not many amps out there anymore like that. Lee Jackson might be a tool/fool when it comes to marketing and sloppy on the manufacturing/modding, but he made some of the best amps for heavy metal in history.

Edit:
BTW isn't that a JVM 410?

that's not me playing, just a cover I found on youtube. yeah looks like it's a JVM410. You're probably right that you can't get the same sound without a Lee Jackson, but from what I see on youtube and whatnot it's probably easier to try with modern gear. That JVM amp seems to pull of just about anything nowadays and reducing the sharpness is probably matching it with a more creamy speaker.

Personally I've moved on from the milky tone I used to chase and settled with an EVH 5153. Easy to get that sharp Alexi tone from HOB with it and as well as the tones back to about FTR. Once you experience the low end and tightness of modern amps it's hard to get creamy again. Maybe that's part of the reason Alexi's songwriting went the way it did. As I got better gear I found myself wanting to chug the bottom strings more and more just cause it sounds so goood.

Hi

my Question being: where can i get more models of amps etc and does anyoe have a good preset to share? Arcane?

Are you using PodFarm 2.0? I think my setup used to be something like..

noise gate > tubescreamer 50/50/50 > solo 100 head (60% gain, 20% bass, 80% mid, 50% treble, 50% presence) > forgot the cab think the gt75 one

Some shit like that, haven't used it in a while. To me it sounded better with passive pickups also.

Hi

Well, I've been using what you have for years (I have always wanted to upgrade, but I'm poor as fuck being a university student, massively in debt thanks to student loans), but I've found a good Halo Of Blood tone using the Marshall JCM model on POD Farm. I've actually always been using it even before HOB was released because I liked the way it sounded. I never used the screamer pedal, because they muddy up my tone. I use ALMOST the same one for originals (only difference is I use a little less gain), but for covers, you can hear the sound here. Listen in headphones to hear the full sound.

For leads (only for originals), I use the Solo 100 head without a screamer because I find those muddy up my tone (but I'll actually double check later after I'm off class as to whether I use the pedal boost because I forget). I found out that when I tweaked the Solo 100 Head enough when I was using my old Alexi-200 with Blackouts installed, I got a pretty good Hatebreeder-ish sounding lead tone. I've since sold that guitar and use an Alexi-600 with the EMG ALX-ABQ now. I still use that same lead tone, but because of the different pickups, the tone sounds a little brighter now, and just a smidgeon treblier. I want to say it's a little more FTR-ish sounding?

I dunno, but I stick with the same cover tone with the JCM for all of my Halo covers, including solos just because it works.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I've been using what you have for years (I have always wanted to upgrade, but I'm poor as fuck being a university student, massively in debt thanks to student loans), but I've found a good Halo Of Blood tone using the Marshall JCM model on POD Farm. I've actually always been using it even before HOB was released because I liked the way it sounded. I never used the screamer pedal, because they muddy up my tone. I use ALMOST the same one for originals (only difference is I use a little less gain), but for covers, you can hear the sound here. Listen in headphones to hear the full sound.

All Twisted

For leads (only for originals), I use the Solo 100 head without a screamer because I find those muddy up my tone (but I'll actually double check later after I'm off class as to whether I use the pedal boost because I forget). I found out that when I tweaked the Solo 100 Head enough when I was using my old Alexi-200 with Blackouts installed, I got a pretty good Hatebreeder-ish sounding lead tone. I've since sold that guitar and use an Alexi-600 with the EMG ALX-ABQ now. I still use that same lead tone, but because of the different pickups, the tone sounds a little brighter now, and just a smidgeon treblier. I want to say it's a little more FTR-ish sounding?

I dunno, but I stick with the same cover tone with the JCM for all of my Halo covers, including solos just because it works.

i wish i knew more about cabs then i do, which one do you mean with gt75?

Lol what? I don't understand the question...but if you're asking which cab I use with the Marshall JCM head on PODFarm, I use the V30's.

Oh, and by the way, for a good rhythm tone, the JCM head sounds complete shit with active pickups (in my own experience, anyways). The rhythm tone I got from my old Alexi-200 with Blackouts was complete dog shit. Maybe it would have sounded better with EMG 81? I don't know.

But I got a really good lead tone with it using the Solo 100 head. If you want to use the JCM model for some sexy rhythm tones, you should be using it with passives installed on your guitar. If you've got actives installed, you're better off trying something with one of the Mesa heads and tweaking it from there (Treadplate or Cali Diamond Plate or some shit...).

These are all just my own experiences, by the way, so there could, and probably do exist some exceptions out there, but here's one guy's input for you if that means anything.

I loaded up my Pod Farm and exported the last tone I used on it about a year ago. Don't remember what I was shooting for, I think a RRF tone. It's not great but maybe it's a start for you..Here's two files

1) The podfarm tone: http://www.mediafire.com/download/y3lb1p1wj1w6dd1/LastTone.l6t

2) Small clip using it:
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/0g500lcdzxmipd4/Podfarm.mp3

That's with an alder guitar and EMG 81. In my experience pod farm presets will sound way different on different speakers/headphones. When I created what I thought was a good tone on my speakers and then plugged into my headphones, it sounded like shit. So I don't know if the file will help you but you can use it as a start I guess.

Some 2-3 years ago I made this needled cover using the same pod farm shit http://www.mediafire.com/listen/22qa6nt7lfm40aj/Norb_Needled.mp3

I loaded up my Pod Farm and exported the last tone I used on it about a year ago. Don't remember what I was shooting for, I think a RRF tone. It's not great but maybe it's a start for you..Here's two files

1) The podfarm tone: http://www.mediafire.com/download/y3lb1p1wj1w6dd1/LastTone.l6t

2) Small clip using it:
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/0g500lcdzxmipd4/Podfarm.mp3

That's with an alder guitar and EMG 81. In my experience pod farm presets will sound way different on different speakers/headphones. When I created what I thought was a good tone on my speakers and then plugged into my headphones, it sounded like shit. So I don't know if the file will help you but you can use it as a start I guess.

Some 2-3 years ago I made this needled cover using the same pod farm shit http://www.mediafire.com/listen/22qa6nt7lfm40aj/Norb_Needled.mp3

Man, I don't know how you can use the Solo 100 Head for anything other than leads!

I just fucking hate the Solo 100 sound for rhythm guitar in general...it just sounds soooooo dry and thin to me (that's what she said)...:rolleyes:

small question here:

Im using reaper as my recodring software, now my problem is i can only move items on a track 1 second forward or backward at minimum, what do i do to make them move less then a second?
also is there any other software out there thats bettter or does have this function?

Hi

You can donwload more model packs on line6 homepage (like the metal pack) but they increased their prices. I paid 20 dollars for the metal pack and now you have to pay 40 or 50 dollars

Here are the 3 presets I used most. I've noticed that they will sound completely different if you doesn't have the same guitar l have (tried them on a ESP Eclipse II, Jackson RR24 and on my B.C. Rich). I think the Je-1000 is the main reason why they sound good with my guitar but not on other guitars...
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/87900028/Pod Presets.rar

Thank you i will check it out ASAP.

btw i am in the posession of a J50BC...just waiting for a replica of a JE-1000 from TWWC, since i cant find any online or anywhere else :(