The Children Of Bodom Gear Thread

I don't think it sounds like the GP-1000 at all, sound more like a modern marshall or a mismatched model of an engl. I think Arcane uses POD Farm with one if line6's soundcards.

I don't think it sounds like the GP-1000 at all, sound more like a modern marshall or a mismatched model of an engl. I think Arcane uses POD Farm with one if line6's soundcards.

He has that Metal Amp Pack for PodFarm which i dont have ;)

nah Sany, Roope has never used EMG's in his jacksons, nowhere to be found on any pictures during his carreer, its something emg made up probably, all his jacksons same goes for alexi, has always been with Jackson equipment

awww yeaaaaaa. We meet again.

2013-05-14_16-31-16_789.jpg

Congrats! Let me know how it sounds when you hook it up to the Axe Fx (1or2?)! I might get one someday when the whole processor hype slows down. I mean 2.5 K for an Modeller+effects unit! Yeez!

Sounds good. I tried going Guitar>Axefx>gp1k>axefx to do some boosting/eq/distortion before the gp1k.

It works that way but there's a limit on how much of an actual db boost from the axe out you can do into the gp1k before it just clips the signal.
They say you can hook it up like that in the manual, but Idk if it messes with the impedance of the signal changing it to line lvl

It sounds a little better just going guitar>gp1k>axefx impulses, I'll try boosting it later with a tubescreamer I have.

Here's a short sample where you can hear the difference. I was only able to record some short tapping part because yesterday I cut in two of my fingers but whatever... you can hear it best on e-string anyway. the first thing is recorded with all mini-switches off and the second with 1 mini-switch on. Or the other way? I'm not sure which position is for on and off but you can clearly hear the difference.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/87900028/Tabs/JE-1000.mp3

Edit: I have to mention that I now have my old HZH4 installed so the wah-effect was a bit stronger with my old J-50BC.

Sorry for not thanking you sooner- cheers for giving me a demonstration mate :)

Yeah I notice the wah effect a little bit- especially on the second recording. It's not really as prominent as I thought it would be though- is that just the pickup without any effects apart from some distortion?

I only use a virtual Line 6 amp on my PC (amp head got wrecked by dooche friends beer) and have a wah set to the second input but turn the effect down so it is barely noticeable to try and imitate the J50 BC. I've improved my tone a fair bit since this video now it has more punch but this was just from the virtual amp with no post EQ-

I've improved the dryness of it and "ballsed" it up a little bit but really like this particular lead tone from Alexi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2ztAxe-4To

That's what i'm after. The EMG is a bit noisy so I have to put a fair bit of noise gate on it which makes my playing cleaner but the tone a bit flat :(

Last edited by a moderator:
good ol river dragon. that shit never gets old lol Even when jeff loomis tries to squeeze it into like every solo lol

ur lucky finding a GP1000 atm i can only find 1 on ebay foor about 600 dollars
and its not in as good condition as the one u just received :p

Out of curiousity - anyone had a chance to compare, let's say "alexi's pickups", with SD Gus G. set? It is also passive pickup with preamp, and I think I might want to try it. While I don't think COB had ever a "ultimate tone of destiny" , I wonder if anyone had a chance to use this SD.

Out of curiousity - anyone had a chance to compare, let's say "alexi's pickups", with SD Gus G. set? It is also passive pickup with preamp, and I think I might want to try it. While I don't think COB had ever a "ultimate tone of destiny" , I wonder if anyone had a chance to use this SD.

i actually have an edwards les paul (lp-92) with those gus g pickups. its basically a sd distortion with loads of more gain. these are absolutely amazing for soloing, super singful leads. the chords are super full. besides that as you can single coil the pickups you can have great cleans or that single coil malmsteen thing, however for me sounds different as i have a mahogany les paul obviously.

Sounds good, I'm thinking about changing my 81/85 set for them actually... Should do well with mahogany/maple body and maple/rosewood neck I guess. Are they selective enough to play open chords with high gain?

Sounds good, I'm thinking about changing my 81/85 set for them actually... Should do well with mahogany/maple body and maple/rosewood neck I guess. Are they selective enough to play open chords with high gain?

yeah totally, however the pickups have REALLY lots of gain, i use an engl e530 and i put the gain 10/11 o clock or something. however even with lots of gain youll hear every note of the chord, besides your chord will sound big (i think the fact that my guitar is a les paul, which has a very loud acoustic sound affects this a lot). i dig the pickups a lot.

i had a guitar with emgs 81 85 and i must say that rythm wise isnt that much better cuz i consider the 81 already an amazing metal rythm pickup, but youll hear the giant difference soloing. the 81 sounds steril, not much dynamic, and the gus pickups are like i said, singful super rich. it has the upper mids super present, and has lots of highs but not harsh at all. it really inspires you to compose :p maybe the best soloing pickups i ever tried. i would really recommend them to someone who is lead guitarrist in a band, who wants to distinguish better.

a bad thing in the pickups is that theyre a bit noisy, and the emg81 is super quiet.