The Children Of Bodom Gear Thread

I always wonder where you got your knockledge from. I wish I would know that much about amps...

I've actually been more interrested in Bodoms early tone than Bodoms later music since Hatecrew Deathroll, so I've studied all the old live videos, all the old interviews, documentaries, pictures and instructional stuff. + I own pretty much 6-7 complete amps if you add preamps and poweramps together.

List of amps I do own:
Lee Jackson GP-1000
Lee Jackson SP-1000
ADA-MP1
Sansamp PSA 1
ENGL 570
Rocktron Velocity 300 (new edition, closer to 250 than original)
Peavey 50/50
ENGL 840/50
Peavey 5150 II
Marshall JCM 2000 TSL
Randall G2 RG75 Combo

And I did own a VHT 2:50:2 wich I hated, too sterile and lifeless, even with tube changes. (I need coloration of tone) :p Sold it to get a Jackson RR Custom from 89'

Effects units:
Rocktron Intellifex (Blackout and Online, love this unit, especially with MIDI footboard)
Alesis Quadraverb v1
TC Electronics G-Major v1
Line 6 POD X3
Line 6 POD HD 300
Boos GT-8
Korg Mini Pandora (crap compared with the older models, but still fun to have)

And at least 10 pedals of effects n stuff

Think I got that covered.

Pretty impressive list you got there Rune. Do you happen to have any recordings of GP-1000/other preamps with Velocity?

No haven't recorded anything with Velocity, but I have bought some recording equipment recently, so I might do record some in the future However, italianbodom did this with his unmodded GP-1000/intellifex/velocity 250 setup.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tDTJTXPAK0&feature=relmfu[/ame]

No haven't recorded anything with Velocity, but I have bought some recording equipment recently, so I might do record some in the future However, italianbodom did this with his unmodded GP-1000/intellifex/velocity 250 setup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tDTJTXPAK0&feature=relmfu

Nice!
I have been wondering a long time if I should buy GP-1000, but I'm still not sure if its a good investment. It's really hard to find any good quality clips with GP-1000.

I've actually been more interrested in Bodoms early tone than Bodoms later music since Hatecrew Deathroll, so I've studied all the old live videos, all the old interviews, documentaries, pictures and instructional stuff. + I own pretty much 6-7 complete amps if you add preamps and poweramps together.

List of amps I do own:
Lee Jackson GP-1000
Lee Jackson SP-1000
ADA-MP1
Sansamp PSA 1
ENGL 570
Rocktron Velocity 300 (new edition, closer to 250 than original)
Peavey 50/50
ENGL 840/50
Peavey 5150 II
Marshall JCM 2000 TSL
Randall G2 RG75 Combo

And I did own a VHT 2:50:2 wich I hated, too sterile and lifeless, even with tube changes. (I need coloration of tone) :p Sold it to get a Jackson RR Custom from 89'

Effects units:
Rocktron Intellifex (Blackout and Online, love this unit, especially with MIDI footboard)
Alesis Quadraverb v1
TC Electronics G-Major v1
Line 6 POD X3
Line 6 POD HD 300
Boos GT-8
Korg Mini Pandora (crap compared with the older models, but still fun to have)

And at least 10 pedals of effects n stuff

Think I got that covered.

Braggart :p

I only own a JCM 2000, a few effect pedals/processors and a few guitars

Nice!
I have been wondering a long time if I should buy GP-1000, but I'm still not sure if its a good investment. It's really hard to find any good quality clips with GP-1000.

If you really want Bodom's tone, do buy the replica made by TheWeightedCompanyCube & RR480 from this forum. It's cheaper than the original, has three or four gain-mods in which the original doesn't have and enhancement of mid-tone. You'll get a lot closer to the Bodom tone with the GP-1000 Replica than the original that's for sure, and it's made of high quality exact parts. Won't break down easily. These mod instructions were handed to me personally by the same Finnish tech that modded both Stone and Bodom's GP-1000s.

Arcane: The JCM 2000 is a really good and underrated amp, could easily get some good Bodom tones out of it, although it gets a bit muddy when you want that perfect glassy mid tone, so its one of those amps you really need two of the same distortion channel, one for riffing and one for solos, because the settings of solos sucks for riffing and so on.

Arcane: The JCM 2000 is a really good and underrated amp, could easily get some good Bodom tones out of it, although it gets a bit muddy when you want that perfect glassy mid tone, so its one of those amps you really need two of the same distortion channel, one for riffing and one for solos, because the settings of solos sucks for riffing and so on.

Indeed. With a DSL100, Boss SD-1 & ESP Katakana, I can get some good ones.

I bought a gp1k again for shits and giggles. I'm eager to see how it will sound integrated into my Axe FX's chain. Im going to try to make some sort of drive/eq/boost in the axe fx then into the gp1k and back to the axe fx for EQ and cab modeling.

isnt 99% of his tone coming from the way the pickups EQ/Boost the signal?

Usually the amp(and it's EQ) is like 85% of your tone and guitar(Wood/pickups/strings etc.) is the rest, which is not that much. Sure the booster affects your sound a lot, but I bet you can get the same results with overdrive pedal and EQ pedal boosting your amp. I think the booster in Alexi's guitar is more like quality of life thing. Imagine if he had to carry overdrive and eq pedals all over the world. On top of that it would be just an awful mess of wires on the stage. So why not to plant that whole thing in your guitar?

I'm not really interested in getting one anymore, but how the hell do you guys find a GP1000 so easy as soon as you start looking for one? Back when I NEEDED FOR MY LIFE OMG TO HAVE ONE I tried a couple of times to get my hands on one but had to end up settling for an ADA MP1 instead because I couldn't find one at all.

It's not that hard to find a GP-1000 because it seems that a lot of guys know to build one by themself. It's the same with the JE-1000. If you were looking for one 3 years ago, it was nearly impossible to find but since a lot of guys got hte shematics for it, it's really easy to find one on ebay.

Not happy with my EMG 81; is the MM04 really not as good as the JE-1000? Or is it more so the Jackson pickup v the emg

No its not as good as the JE-1000, but both would sound shit with an active pickup like the EMG 81.
EMG HZH2 and Jackson J-50BC are much the same, but EMGs stronger and treblier, the Jacksons got midtone, but sounds thinner. But youtube is your friend on those pickup/preamp combos and others.

No its not as good as the JE-1000, but both would sound shit with an active pickup like the EMG 81.
EMG HZH2 and Jackson J-50BC are much the same, but EMGs stronger and treblier, the Jacksons got midtone, but sounds thinner. But youtube is your friend on those pickup/preamp combos and others.

Thanks- yeah I wasn't obviously going to install a gain booster when I have a 81. I want that kind of slight wah tone on the higher frets that come from the J-50BC; just was wondering if the HZH2 did the same with a Je-1000 installed?

Kind of does, just look at Arcane, he's got the HZH4 with the JE-1000 clone on his later youtube videos.