The Children Of Bodom Gear Thread

yeah, one of advantages of actives obviously. But I play on POD HD which has noisegate built in, so maybe noise wouldn't be an issue.

So.....does anyone know anything about the gear that was used for the new album? Same shit as always or did the use some new amps?

So.....does anyone know anything about the gear that was used for the new album? Same shit as always or did the use some new amps?

Alexi used Marshall JVM (don't know which), and it will go with them on tour as well. From one of interviews.

OK, so it looks like Alexi's greeny has the EMG ALX in it but also looks like he is using the MM-04, not the JE-1000.

If you look there are 4 little switches and I thought the JE-1000 only has 3. Plus the little caption is all in Jap. but it does say MM-04.

SO today i got this beauty in the mail

although im a little confused. the sticker seems to be put over another sticker of the same kind.

im wondering if im ripped off or if there was a misstake somehwere in production since its the same sticker and very very old.

I'd like a professionals opinion? rune maybe?

20130619_124445_zps782d1fdc.jpg

20130619_124458_zps7ab101b6.jpg

What does the sticker under it say? J90C?

Could have been a factory error, but I really don't know how you can tell based on how it looks from the outside.

I would e-mail Jackson directly with these picture and see what they say. If anyone is going to know it will be them.

I would e-mail Jackson directly with these picture and see what they say. If anyone is going to know it will be them.

I would measure it with a multimeter to be sure, any resistance over 9,5 Kohm and it's either a J-80C or a J-90C. Most import J-50BC (1988-90 most Jackson pickups was made in Japan with US parts) are tending to be a bit higher than the 86-87 USA made ones, US made ones are around 8Kohms or a tad more.

There is a few pickup guides floating around regarding what measurements the Jackson pickups have.

Yours originally came in a Charvel model 4 or 6. And the stock pickups in those were a J-50BC import (japan made).

EDIT:
Oh and most of the Jackson pickups needs a larger pickup ring. Some models from 90 doesn't, but I would check on ebay or search the forums at jcfonline.com for stores to get one, the old one in your guitar won't fit.

Don't really understand the obsession with Alexi's classic setup since it's pretty outdated unless you just want the exact hatebreeder/sinergy sound. Alexi's Lee Marshall sound had a shit load of mids but not so much anything else. You can probably replicate that very well with some modern amps while at the same time being able to get some bass and presence.

Any clips of anyone pulling off Alexi's classic tone with his classic gear? I've seen people on youtube use it but haven't come close.

I would measure it with a multimeter to be sure, any resistance over 9,5 Kohm and it's either a J-80C or a J-90C. Most import J-50BC (1988-90 most Jackson pickups was made in Japan with US parts) are tending to be a bit higher than the 86-87 USA made ones, US made ones are around 8Kohms or a tad more.

There is a few pickup guides floating around regarding what measurements the Jackson pickups have.

Yours originally came in a Charvel model 4 or 6. And the stock pickups in those were a J-50BC import (japan made).

EDIT:
Oh and most of the Jackson pickups needs a larger pickup ring. Some models from 90 doesn't, but I would check on ebay or search the forums at jcfonline.com for stores to get one, the old one in your guitar won't fit.

so..much..information :rofl: im not a member of jcfonline.com :rofl: and multimeter i know but i dont know what to connect to what..i dont know which one is Hot or ground atm lol...was kinda waiting to be able to get a JE-1000.
from the thick black wire i get:
1 bare
1 white
1 green
1 red
1 black

ive read that black is HoT and green+bare is ground but i also read that it depended on the year. i need to know how to check...
an when i keep the pickup against my strings above my EMG81 it seems to be the same size(pickup ring). screws are at the same place.

EDIT:

i hace a multimeter. on what position d i put it and to what wires do i touch what pen?

EDIT: I did red and white together to black pen en red pen on green. and put multimeter on 20k, it gave me 4,55 as value

is that good?

i hace a multimeter. on what position d i put it and to what wires do i touch what pen?

EDIT: I did red and white together to black pen en red pen on green. and put multimeter on 20k, it gave me 4,55 as value

is that good?

It's slightly wrong, you should have bare wire and green together too. Otherwise, correct.

Norbix:
There is no one, and I mean NO ONE that has Alexi's old setup. Not even myself. Or Alexi as a matter of fact. And that's just for the live tone, studio tone is even harder to capture, meaning you'll need compressors, tube enhancers, studio effects, EQ and all the shit in a DAW to get close enough.

I have never head a better lead tone for bridge pickups than Alexis hatebreeder and follow the reaper tone, it might be weak and not as beefy as lets say metallica's lead tone or arch enemy's. But doubling and the right power amp can do miracles with those frequencies.

Things as a really good J-50BC is hard to get, I reckon 1 of 5 are great and the rest is just OK, remember these mics were hand made.
JE-1000 is almost impossible, I searched since 2004 to get my two, and one of them is a wreck. (other I got with my Jackson RR 89' Custom Shop as stock paired with J-80 pickup, which is more gainy and more bassy, almost like a EMG 85 or EMG-HZ H4 kind of, not as midheavy and clear as the J-50BC).

You need a modded or at least a updated version of the GP-1000 to get the bodom sound. I know Lowberg said 3 different versions, I say there is at least 4 different versions, with at least 4 more different circuit of parts, and then you could add the upgrade I've done to mine (0.68uf capacitor and 825 ohm resistor on first gain stage, I asked both the Alexi tech from finland and Lee Jackson about the modification, and both said it where done as a upgrade and a standard feature on the late 88' models. Which is also why some guys on youtube got a better tone with their GP than others of the same year version of the amp with the same pickups guitar setups.

Furthermore, a Intellifex On-Line USA version is very essential for the effects and coloring of the sound, I just got mine and it blew the blackface and other crappy ones away with sheer tone and quality.

And lastly a SP-1000 or a Rocktron Velocity 250 (and ENGL e840/50 could also be used, but sound very Sinergy like) poweramp. Those two are almost impossible to snatch, you can search for years, but there is always just one or two a year on ebay, and they go for like 350-600 USD.....lot of money for such old and none tube power-amps. You could buy 3-4 ADA or Mosfet power-amps for that kind of cash. And those are from the same time period....

Oh and a 24 fret ebony/maple neck with alder body, (might actually be poplar since that was the common thing in 1988-1990, but Roope's Jacksons are alder). Neck-thru with Original Floyd Rose. Scallops aren't that necessary, and to my knowledge, the Green-beveled Jackson and the white with black pinstripe custom shop ESP didn't have scalloped frets at all. At least it doesn't look like it in pictures and videos.

Alexi's Wildchild jackson and and green pinstriped jackon had No Scalllopeds,
Alexi's White pinstripe jackson Had scalloped frets from 20 to 24,
Alexi's ESP's all had no scalloped frets FOR EXCEPTION the PINKY (pink Pinstripes) and the KATAKANA (Yellow pinstripe) from 20 to 24th fret

Alexi's Wildchild jackson and and green pinstriped jackon had No Scalllopeds,
Alexi's White pinstripe jackson Had scalloped frets from 20 to 24,
Alexi's ESP's all had no scalloped frets FOR EXCEPTION the PINKY (pink Pinstripes) and the KATAKANA (Yellow pinstripe) from 20 to 24th fret

Watched some pictures and videos and you are correct, the only guitars with scallops are the Stone guitar and the 4 latest signature guitars: KATAKANA, PINKY, BLACKY and GREENY.

It's slightly wrong, you should have bare wire and green together too. Otherwise, correct.

Norbix:
There is no one, and I mean NO ONE that has Alexi's old setup. Not even myself. Or Alexi as a matter of fact. And that's just for the live tone, studio tone is even harder to capture, meaning you'll need compressors, tube enhancers, studio effects, EQ and all the shit in a DAW to get close enough.

I have never head a better lead tone for bridge pickups than Alexis hatebreeder and follow the reaper tone, it might be weak and not as beefy as lets say metallica's lead tone or arch enemy's. But doubling and the right power amp can do miracles with those frequencies.

Things as a really good J-50BC is hard to get, I reckon 1 of 5 are great and the rest is just OK, remember these mics were hand made.
JE-1000 is almost impossible, I searched since 2004 to get my two, and one of them is a wreck. (other I got with my Jackson RR 89' Custom Shop as stock paired with J-80 pickup, which is more gainy and more bassy, almost like a EMG 85 or EMG-HZ H4 kind of, not as midheavy and clear as the J-50BC).

You need a modded or at least a updated version of the GP-1000 to get the bodom sound. I know Lowberg said 3 different versions, I say there is at least 4 different versions, with at least 4 more different circuit of parts, and then you could add the upgrade I've done to mine (0.68uf capacitor and 825 ohm resistor on first gain stage, I asked both the Alexi tech from finland and Lee Jackson about the modification, and both said it where done as a upgrade and a standard feature on the late 88' models. Which is also why some guys on youtube got a better tone with their GP than others of the same year version of the amp with the same pickups guitar setups.

Furthermore, a Intellifex On-Line USA version is very essential for the effects and coloring of the sound, I just got mine and it blew the blackface and other crappy ones away with sheer tone and quality.

And lastly a SP-1000 or a Rocktron Velocity 250 (and ENGL e840/50 could also be used, but sound very Sinergy like) poweramp. Those two are almost impossible to snatch, you can search for years, but there is always just one or two a year on ebay, and they go for like 350-600 USD.....lot of money for such old and none tube power-amps. You could buy 3-4 ADA or Mosfet power-amps for that kind of cash. And those are from the same time period....

Oh and a 24 fret ebony/maple neck with alder body, (might actually be poplar since that was the common thing in 1988-1990, but Roope's Jacksons are alder). Neck-thru with Original Floyd Rose. Scallops aren't that necessary, and to my knowledge, the Green-beveled Jackson and the white with black pinstripe custom shop ESP didn't have scalloped frets at all. At least it doesn't look like it in pictures and videos.

so 4.55 means its a J50-BC right?

or still not ok?

so 4.55 means its a J50-BC right?

or still not ok?

4.55 means that it is almost dead and have just a tiny output. Did you do as I suggested, connect the bare wire (the none plastic sheilded one) with the green wire and connect it to the red measure pin and the black wire to the black measure pin?

Should be more ouput from a J-50BC.

4.55 means that it is almost dead and have just a tiny output. Did you do as I suggested, connect the bare wire (the none plastic sheilded one) with the green wire and connect it to the red measure pin and the black wire to the black measure pin?

Should bemore ouput from a J-50BC.

well green with bare wire on red pin and black wire on black pin doesnt do anything.

but if i put the black pin to the red & white wire its 4.55 ~ 4.58

EDIT: FOUND PROBLEM when i measured black wire, red and white where not conected to eachother.
so i connected green to bare -> red measure pin
red to white
black -> black measure pin

gives me 9.22 ~9.23 then steady 9.25

so ??

well green with bare wire on red pin and black wire on black pin doesnt do anything.

but if i put the black pin to the red & white wire its 4.55 ~ 4.58

EDIT: FOUND PROBLEM when i measured black wire, red and white where not conected to eachother.
so i connected green to bare -> red measure pin
red to white
black -> black measure pin

gives me 9.22 ~9.23 then steady 9.25

so ??

That means it is an import J-50BC

just hope it isn't to overly trebly as some of them tend to be.

and for the JE-1000 cloning: might take a while... as in months... haven't even sorted everything out with the gp/sp clones, and TWWC is still in China for business.