The Children Of Bodom Gear Thread

Sounds great, but it is lacking a bit of gain/distortion. But that is due to the stock GP-1000. What settings are you using? Especially interested in the settings on the Velocity, because they sound very bassy which could mean that you dropped the presence a bit too much on it, or if not then it is the mic. Sounds a lot tighter and mid heavy than a regular J-50BC. I knew it was a good combo! :)

Lee: vol full, dist full, treble 3 o'clock, mids 3 o'clock, mid shift 3, bass 9 o'clock, masters 10 o'clock
Rocktron: volume like 1-2 its loud as fuck, reactance full, definition 12 o'clock

Also using celestion v30's and the je's gain is full with the middle dip switch on.
I just used the on board mics of my tascam dp006. In person it sounds kinda fizzy cause its stock and the wah effect is not so strong like a j50bc, maybe it could sound better with a better replica of a je1000

The dimarzio dominion neck is pretty much a paf pro with a ceramic magnet according to the specs from the dimarzio site. I also read that its like a paf pro only brighter, maybe its ever closer to a j50bc

The dimarzio dominion neck is pretty much a paf pro with a ceramic magnet according to the specs from the dimarzio site. I also read that its like a paf pro only brighter, maybe its ever closer to a j50bc

Interesting.

What other paf ceramic pickups are there? I could replace a Paf pro alcino with a ceramic....

Well, there's Seymour Duncan Custom (SH-5), which is described on their site as "P.A.F. on steroids". It has ceramic magnet.

Also, I would like to hear Seymour Duncan Original Parallel Axis paired with MM-04 booster. Parallel Axis is one hell of a P.A.F.-ish pickup.

Well, there's Seymour Duncan Custom (SH-5), which is described on their site as "P.A.F. on steroids". It has ceramic magnet.

Also, I would like to hear Seymour Duncan Original Parallel Axis paired with MM-04 booster. Parallel Axis is one hell of a P.A.F.-ish pickup.

PAF on sterioids aren't sounding very good, remember that even whith the EMG HZ H4 and MM-04 you kind of have to turn down the gainboost or else it's kind of too much noise and gain.

Also it is only the Dimarzio Dominion neck pickup and SD Original Parallel Axis neck pickup that matches the output of J-50BC, the bridge versions got more output on their own than EMG HZ H4....

PAF on sterioids aren't sounding very good, remember that even whith the EMG HZ H4 and MM-04 you kind of have to turn down the gainboost or else it's kind of too much noise and gain.

Also it is only the Dimarzio Dominion neck pickup and SD Original Parallel Axis neck pickup that matches the output of J-50BC, the bridge versions got more output on their own than EMG HZ H4....

Yes, I agree with you. I never was a fan of pickups with too much output. Pickups like EMG 81 and Gibson Dirty Fingers are very hard to control on high gain settings and tend to be very muddy and lack clarity for leads. I mentioned Duncan Custom since JonWormwood asked for P.A.F.-like pickup with ceramic magnets. I like Dimarzo D Sonic and Parallel Axis pickups, they're great sounding pickups, great for leads and also rhythm. I also heard that Duncan Distortion retails a lot of clarity under high amounts of gain, but I've never played it, so I can't say.

Yes, I agree with you. I never was a fan of pickups with too much output. Pickups like EMG 81 and Gibson Dirty Fingers are very hard to control on high gain settings and tend to be very muddy and lack clarity for leads. I mentioned Duncan Custom since JonWormwood asked for P.A.F.-like pickup with ceramic magnets. I like Dimarzo D Sonic and Parallel Axis pickups, they're great sounding pickups, great for leads and also rhythm. I also heard that Duncan Distortion retails a lot of clarity under high amounts of gain, but I've never played it, so I can't say.

Parallel axis seems intriguing. I might give it a go. What experience do you have with it?

Odd neck and bridge pickups have diff resonant freqs. Pretty cool.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/comparetones

Anyone know what the jacksons are?

Can anyone see what kind of amp Alexi is using on this:
Looks like Mesa Boogie cabinet and some kind of head, which I cant see properly. Funny how Alexi played that good when he was only 18. Actually I think he played better than nowdays.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually I think Alexi was 17, and I think he used mostly rocktron gear on that gig. Hard to tell thought.

True, Alexi was still 17, but turning to 18 in few days. By Rocktron gear you mean effects unit and poweramp? Any guesses what preamp did he use?

How would the gain boost work with a single coil pickup like Roope has here:

2629mrk.png

They usually have a lot of feedback as it is

How would the gain boost work with a single coil pickup like Roope has here:

2629mrk.png

They usually have a lot of feedback as it is

as im getting this right, the single coil and j50BC are both connected to the JE-1000, the je-1000 has 3 input solder spots, if you solder the j50BC to 1 spot and the j-100 or j-200 single coil to spot 2, they will both be active at the same time, there is no pickup switch in between, it basicly just adds an little bit more gain and kick and punch to the single coil. al together sort of warmer sound than just the J50BC-JE1000 combo

I got a access all areas for COB and went to the show and took a look at Alexi's rack. He had two Marshall JVM's. Since when did he started using this because I didnt now about this? :--D I thought he was with ENGL like Roope.
Talked with Roope about his gear and it was ENGL preamps, TC's effect (for a little chorus) and VHT power amps. (but I think everyone knew this already)
Just wanted to write something here 'cause it's been a while!

Oh, and it was a very good show :)

I got a access all areas for COB and went to the show and took a look at Alexi's rack. He had two Marshall JVM's. Since when did he started using this because I didnt now about this? :--D I thought he was with ENGL like Roope.
Talked with Roope about his gear and it was ENGL preamps, TC's effect (for a little chorus) and VHT power amps. (but I think everyone knew this already)
Just wanted to write something here 'cause it's been a while!

Oh, and it was a very good show :)

Since recording of Halo Of Blood, Alexi said he fell in love with Marshall JVM410 head, because he was like searching for more bass in his sound.

Here is Roope saying that Alexi used a Marshall on Halo Of Blood.

http://youtu.be/ZB_w_x67zZU