The Children Of Bodom Gear Thread

:D thanks, I have wanted one of these guitars for a very long time.

I will post a picture once I get it. I might change the pickups to Blackouts

Cool! I have Ltd deluxe Horizon myself and it slays. Easily one of the best guitars I ever played.

I recently changed the string on my RR, the ex-owner used 12-60 strings and I changed them to 10-46, everything is fine, except the strings are buzzing when I press down the strings, mostly everywhere, which one I should set the tremolo or the bending of the neck?

I recently changed the string on my RR, the ex-owner used 12-60 strings and I changed them to 10-46, everything is fine, except the strings are buzzing when I press down the strings, mostly everywhere, which one I should set the tremolo or the bending of the neck?

Depends, if the neck is tilted back then you should adjust the trussrod.

if the neck is straight you should adjust the height of your floyd. so the action between the strings and the frets becomes higher, also dont forget that your floyd, in its floating rest position, needs to be level with the body of the guitar.

Yup...need to adjust your truss rods tension.

Adjust the tremolo first. Set the height you want, then make sure it's level and in tune.

Then adjust the truss rod....slowly....like 1/4 turn increments. Then re-tune the guitar.

After this, let it sit a couple hours to let the wood adjust and check it again for fret buzz.

Lots of videos in utube that show this process. Just be careful not to over turn the rod as you can crack your neck. Just take it SLOW.

Once you raise the bridge to your liking, play every fret on every string 1 at a time and listen for fret buzz. If you still have buzz, then you need to adjust the truss rod.

Well you can raise the bridge for a very long time and still get the buzz. He only changed the strings caliber, it must be the tension i.e. the truss rod. It usually depends on the frets you get the buzz on, but you get it everywhere so I dunno. If you do adjust the rod, do it very slowly and wait for an hour between every quarter turn.

Well you can raise the bridge for a very long time and still get the buzz. He only changed the strings caliber, it must be the tension i.e. the truss rod. It usually depends on the frets you get the buzz on, but you get it everywhere so I dunno. If you do adjust the rod, do it very slowly and wait for an hour between every quarter turn.

I said wrong, mostly on the middle and higher frets have the buzz (around 5-8-9)

Press a string down as shown here:
05.gif
You press it on the first fret and the one closest to where the neck meets the body, then see if there's any space between the string and the 8th fret. If not - you definitely need more curve. You want 0.3-0.5mm of a gap there.

Press a string down as shown here:
05.gif
You press it on the first fret and the one closest to where the neck meets the body, then see if there's any space between the string and the 8th fret. If not - you definitely need more curve. You want 0.3-0.5mm of a gap there.

That's fine as far as I saw, the main problem is the 4th and 3rd strings they are buzzing from 7-24 nearly) the other ones only have a little buzz in the middle and maybe more buzz on 12-15th frets.

I use D tuning, the ex-owner used in B tuning (I bought the guitar from the italian black-death band the Necrosy's guitarist)

Here you can see him playing on it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP7rTcWG6EI

As far as I see, he customized a lot on the guitar settings, he changed the pickup settings too (raised the height of the pickup under the lower strings and maybe he changed the holder's tilt too, idk how was the original)

If he was in B tuning on 12-60 strings you probably need to lower the bridge and tighten the tension on the truss rod so you have more bow in the neck. You are hearing buzz in the middle of the neck because the strings don't have enough tension to pull the neck and give it a little bow.

You probably have too much back bow.

gene_necks1-truss-rods.gif

Really hard to tell though without having it in person to touch, smell, see, and hear.

Probably, and as I see he raised the bridge of course.

Anyway, a guy in video on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYMl-_A_BnI) said that it's recommended to loosen the strings before setup the bridge, but I don't understand how because, if loosen them, the bridge falls down and I think it makes the progress worse.
By the way is that normal to floyd-rose, if I tune the guitar from zero tuning and when I go tune them from 6th to 1st, the 6th go out of tune and I could do it for hours they always go out of tune even, if I lock them, but if I wait a couple of hours, (and fine tune them) they will stay in tune?

As you see, I have never owned a guitar with FR before :)

Whammy is a bitch, I personally locked my guitars if they had whammy bridge. The tuning process you described is normal, you'll get used to it. All I can advice is obvious: try overtuning (tuning to a higher pitch) the strings 6 through 2 so that when you tune the next one, the previous comes closer to where it needs to be in the end. You'll also have to check if your Floyd Rose is leveled with the guitar body (must be about parallel) since you've altered string gauge and tuned it differently. You may have to remove one spring. Overall I'd recommend you visit your local guitar-repair guy and watch closely what he does.

I think it would look killer! It might be that the green doesn't go well with the gold, but I don't think it will be the case, when I try to imagine how it would look I think it will go better than the chrome.

If you have some spare gold hardware just lay them besides the green and see how it looks, or start to change one part. I have similar thoughts to change to gold on my blacky Edwards or my white/black RR24.

so i got the new greeny guitar and was thinking about swapping the hardware for gold guys got any thoughts on that or should i stick with the chrome

Yeah gold should look awesome- or black. Never understood why Alexi chose the chrome; it makes the guitar look cheap IMO.

p1Z4Eab.png

Probably, and as I see he raised the bridge of course.

Anyway, a guy in video on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYMl-_A_BnI) said that it's recommended to loosen the strings before setup the bridge, but I don't understand how because, if loosen them, the bridge falls down and I think it makes the progress worse.
By the way is that normal to floyd-rose, if I tune the guitar from zero tuning and when I go tune them from 6th to 1st, the 6th go out of tune and I could do it for hours they always go out of tune even, if I lock them, but if I wait a couple of hours, (and fine tune them) they will stay in tune?

As you see, I have never owned a guitar with FR before :)

Honestly if you haven't had a Floyd before and the previous owner tuned it all the way down to B you really should get a professional to fix it for you. It sounds like the neck is a bit bent from the previous tuning- to fix it you probs need to adjust the truss rod if your having fret buzz. Don't do it yourself if you don't know what you're doing as you could fuck the neck up. It shouldn't cost too much. It took me a while to get used to floyd's but when you change string gauges and tuning it becomes difficult because of spring tension. Just pay someone to set it up for D standard or C and then it should be easy for you to replace the strings the next time. Floyd's are easy to work with after using them for a bit ;)