The Children Of Bodom Gear Thread

if you want to learn fast, make your guitar miserable to play for 2-3 months, high action and high tension. Then, slap on 10-52 and it feels like heaven. It feels so much easier to play. You've to be careful not to break the strings when riffing and bending tho with the lighter tension.

I actually got around 10 - 20 BPM more speed to my playing by lifting my action a bit last week (By a quick ruler measurement, which is not exactly accurate, the action is now 2,0 mm for the low E and 1,5 mm for the high E). Feels damn strange that it worked, but it did. I can now concentrate more on the syncing of my hands and don't need to focus so much on not hitting the strings too hard with my pick.

if you want to learn fast, make your guitar miserable to play for 2-3 months, high action and high tension. Then, slap on 10-52 and it feels like heaven. It feels so much easier to play. You've to be careful not to break the strings when riffing and bending tho with the lighter tension.

Your right sir even though I have 2 really expensive guitars I tend to practice on my cheap acoustic or my shitty second electric guitar as I can tell what I need to work on more & then going back to my good guitars makes them feel even better and inspires me to play more. I found buying and learning a bass helped my playing even better. Bass players don't get enough credit- the frets are fucking huge.

Soo... you have four signature guitars except the RR, which is the "shitty" one out of them?:eek:

Btw, I'm still not 100% familiar with the RR's thicker neck. so yeah its also a good way to improve your skills, maybe I'll bring out my nylon acoustic too

i know Kh-202 sucks and I cant imagine the epihpone being one of his best. The RR24 and Paul gilbert is €1k guitars, so Im guessing those two are the good ones.

Your right sir even though I have 2 really expensive guitars I tend to practice on my cheap acoustic or my shitty second electric guitar as I can tell what I need to work on more & then going back to my good guitars makes them feel even better and inspires me to play more. I found buying and learning a bass helped my playing even better. Bass players don't get enough credit- the frets are fucking huge.

Yeah playing bass lays a good foundation for riffing. Playing acoustic especially with steel strings is good for finger strength and clarity.

Perfect is the enemy of good yo. Thankfully my first guitar had like 6mm of action, sweep picking on a good guitar was piece of cake after that :lol:

Soo... you have four signature guitars except the RR, which is the "shitty" one out of them?:eek:

Btw, I'm still not 100% familiar with the RR's thicker neck. so yeah its also a good way to improve your skills, maybe I'll bring out my nylon acoustic too

i know Kh-202 sucks and I cant imagine the epihpone being one of his best. The RR24 and Paul gilbert is €1k guitars, so Im guessing those two are the good ones.

Haha well i'm in Australia so they cost me a lot here and then I modded them. The kh202 isn't really that bad Rune- however the Epiphone is amazing for the price- they have probably my favorite pickups in a guitar and it was really cheap cause my bro got it second hand. I practise on my first guitar which is a ESP LTD F50 ("the shitty one") or on one of my brother's Squire guitars.

Nowadays I watch a lot of "how to setup FR" type videos on YT and I recognised, most the FR bridges are above the guitar finish like the non-recessed ones and mine is not above it. The upper side of the base plate on the tremolo arm part is in level with the guitar, on the another part of the bridge (where the logo is) the base plate is almost out of the recessed part of the guitar. Is this a problem? (hope, I could clearly describe the situation)
Here is an example to the above the finish FR: https://youtu.be/6BqaDTZayJ0?t=6m2s

the recessed one is obv. lower as it gives better action that way. I setup my floyd that the action is higher on the rhythm side and lower on 1st and 2nd string. If your current setup plays fine no reason to worry about it.

Usually you raise the bass side above the treble side due to the string thickness, but it shouldn't be too much of a difference. I have the lower edge of the FR more or less level with the top of the guitar. I'm not sure I can go a whole lot lower, I'd get a lot of fret buzz. But bridge height is something you can set anyway you want.

the recessed one is obv. lower as it gives better action that way. I setup my floyd that the action is higher on the rhythm side and lower on 1st and 2nd string. If your current setup plays fine no reason to worry about it.

This is how mine is also set up....that way I can really put some muscle into the rhythm playing without the strings buzzing or slapping the fret-board.

If you put it too low into the cavity it will severely limit how far back you can pull the bar to raise the pitch.

Nowadays I watch a lot of "how to setup FR" type videos on YT and I recognised, most the FR bridges are above the guitar finish like the non-recessed ones and mine is not above it. The upper side of the base plate on the tremolo arm part is in level with the guitar, on the another part of the bridge (where the logo is) the base plate is almost out of the recessed part of the guitar. Is this a problem? (hope, I could clearly describe the situation)
Here is an example to the above the finish FR: https://youtu.be/6BqaDTZayJ0?t=6m2s

As long as the Floyd is not tilted anywhere (Like it is when you pull up or down on the whammy bar), it doesn't matter. The height and whether the base plate is out of the recessed hole or not affects only the action. On my guitar, the bottom of the base plate is at the same height as the guitar's body's surface. When measuring on the 12th fret from the top of the fret to the bottom of the string, the action is 2,5 mm on the Low E and 2,0 mm on the High E.

Thanks for the answers, so I think I shouldn't touch the bridge anymore, I should make a truss rod adjustment again, because there isn't a single gap between the strings and the frets when I pull down the first and the 17th fret.

Should I loosen the strings for the setup of the neck? A lot of videos on YT show, that they adjust the truss rod in tuning.

In tuning of course, if possible. If not, loosen the strings to adjust the rod, advance by really small increments. Tune back up, let it sit, and then check the neck.

Thanks for the answers, so I think I shouldn't touch the bridge anymore, I should make a truss rod adjustment again, because there isn't a single gap between the strings and the frets when I pull down the first and the 17th fret.

Should I loosen the strings for the setup of the neck? A lot of videos on YT show, that they adjust the truss rod in tuning.

"There isn't any gap between the frets and the strings". The gap is meant to be EXTREMELY small. On my guitar it's so small that it's pretty much impossible to see, however, when I press it with a finger I can feel that the string goes down just a tiny bit. Probably like 0,5 mm or perhaps even less.

What's your reason for all these adjustments? If your frets don't buzz I would let it just be.

Also, in theory, a straight neck is the best neck. This however assumes that your frets are perfect too. Neck bow is just a compromise to make up for the imperfect and/or worn down frets.

Youtube says the good is the credit card thickness.

My exact problem is the high E string, I feel it a little bit muted, if something choke it's ringing down...

This is my exact problem guys:

I'm guessing 100% here but you could try loosing the nut lock, wriggling the string around in it's slot and put the lock back on. If something is "damping" the string, I don't think there are many possibilities except for the nut and the saddle. Perhaps someone else can give more ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing really changed with that trick.. just make myself a couple of hours work... :(

Couple hours? What did you do?! :lol: I meant that you just open the string locks and then re-lock them. Idea was that if there's something a bit loose or something it might take out some of the string's vibration energy. Sorry for being unclear and making you work :D