The Children Of Bodom Gear Thread

I really want a guitar with a Floyd rose that doesn't compromise the tone because I like what you can do with tremolo systems.
My other guitar is a string-thru which I can always use for rhythms.

I was thinking about an Ibanez, but got so sick of looking at the stupid high amount of models they offer and saw that Caparison is also made in Japan. Michael Romeo is probably the most notable guitarist who plays them.

I don't think there is such a thing as a Floyd that doesn't affect the tone, however, the higher quality ones should be better in this and other aspects. Lately I've heard that the GotohGE1996 is the best Floyd system in the market. Basically it's an OFR wiith some changes to fix any problems in the OFR.

Myself I have an Original Floyd and it keeps the tuning very well. Only thing that bugs me is that the tremolo arm is slightly loose no matter how hard I screw it in (This is one of the things that the Gotoh fixed in their model) so flutters are impossible.

I really want a guitar with a Floyd rose that doesn't compromise the tone because I like what you can do with tremolo systems.

I was thinking about an Ibanez, but got so sick of looking at the stupid high amount of models they offer and saw that Caparison is also made in Japan. Michael Romeo is probably the most notable guitarist who plays them.

I don't think there is such a thing as a Floyd that doesn't affect the tone, however, the higher quality ones should be better in this and other aspects. Lately I've heard that the GotohGE1996 is the best Floyd system in the market. Basically it's an OFR wiith some changes to fix any problems in the OFR.

Myself I have an Original Floyd and it keeps the tuning very well. Only thing that bugs me is that the tremolo arm is slightly loose no matter how hard I screw it in (This is one of the things that the Gotoh fixed in their model) so flutters are impossible.

The OFR black that came with my RR24 kept tuning superbly and i had no issues, now the new one I installed (gold) is even better. I have no problems at all.

1 Floyd mod I did and which I think really effected the tone, in a good way, was adding a big brass sustain block to it. You can feel the added resonance through your body when playing with the big brass sustain block added in, plus it makes the tone sound growlier(really don't know how else to describe it). Look up some videos online to hear the difference.

Done with the setup, hope I didn't screw up the stud crews, but I turned them softly so... (some parts of the internet say you could damage them if you don't dissemble the FR or turn the crews under tension)

Still a bit amazing to see, that I could push and pull as many times as I want and won't go out of tuning

Done with the setup, hope I didn't screw up the stud crews, but I turned them softly so... (some parts of the internet say you could damage them if you don't dissemble the FR or turn the crews under tension)

Still a bit amazing to see, that I could push and pull as many times as I want and won't go out of tuning

the knife(sharp edge of the OFR which pivots against the studs) could cut into the studs and thus creating a 2 level thing instead of 1 smooth and thus makng ur floyd have 2 positions, this only happens when the tension is REALLY high or if u have a crappy floyd/ studs... BUT if u were to see cuts into the studs..they are cheap and easy to replace :p

tbh, what u did isnt something u should do often, there is no harm in u having done it, but if u want to do it alot you should indeed loosen the strings and the springs.

normally with a decent OFR it should be fine if its done 1 time to the correct position.

btw about those brass blocks, i've seen them and i had the option to take one when i ordered my OFR, you gotta check u take the right size since some are bigger and wont fit into the cavity, aside from that...THEY ARE EXPENSIVE AS HELL XD

1 Floyd mod I did and which I think really effected the tone, in a good way, was adding a big brass sustain block to it. You can feel the added resonance through your body when playing with the big brass sustain block added in, plus it makes the tone sound growlier(really don't know how else to describe it). Look up some videos online to hear the difference.

I have a copper big block (Don't know why I didn't take a brass one, I'm thinking of a change to get nicer cleans. Copper is quite bright I think, and my guitar is maple neck-through with alder wings so it's not as if it weren't bright to begin with.) Was looking at the FR page just yesterday. They even have a block made of granite now :D

I tried 13-60 in Drop C one time, it was okay. 12-68 in D though.. :kickass:

if you want to learn fast, make your guitar miserable to play for 2-3 months, high action and high tension. Then, slap on 10-52 and it feels like heaven. It feels so much easier to play. You've to be careful not to break the strings when riffing and bending tho with the lighter tension.

No, because I have a friend who tried the guitar and he gave up because it was hard for him, but yeah most of the people could make it to green day style and that's all...they won't improve their selves anymore or they find too hard etc.

No, because I have a friend who tried the guitar and he gave up because it was hard for him, but yeah most of the people could make it to green day style and that's all...they won't improve their selves anymore or they find too hard etc.

obvisously it won't be easy, and it rarely is for anybody, but if don't have good ears or perfect pitch, it is a nightmare to learn violin. I'd say it's impossible, whereas with guitar you have a map of where every note is.

When I pull the notes with FR after 12th fret on the high strings mostly on high E, some on B start to buzz while I pull. Should I raise the bridge a bit more on the tremolo arm side or may I do something wrong?

When I pull the notes with FR after 12th fret on the high strings mostly on high E, some on B start to buzz while I pull. Should I raise the bridge a bit more on the tremolo arm side or may I do something wrong?

You can try watching at the string height as you pull up on the whammy. The strings will get lower the further up you pull the whammy. If your action is very low they might hit the frets which would cause buzzing. If they don't hit the frets I'm not sure what it might be. I myself don't use the whammy too much as it wobbles slightly and this annoys me to the point that I rarely even have the whammy attached. I recently discovered that Floyd sells old style tremolo arms though which work more like the Fenders (And thus do not wobble. At all). Haven't yet made an order, but it's just a matter of time.