The Children Of Bodom Gear Thread

DR's the most long-lasting? That's peculiar, I burned through a set in 1-2 hours of playing. Maybe I got a bad set or something :confused:

I only use Elixir strings, they last me for months.

I've had these DR strings for almost half a year and i'm in Australia so the temperature constantly changes as well. I need to change them but they are pretty solid. They don't feel as good as Elixir or D'Adarrio but I like to do really wide vibrato and these seem to be able to cope with it. Yes i'm a fan boy haha but I got a few Alexi DR string sets and they seem a lot more durable than the DR strings I bought way back in 2002.

I looked up to these ampfisound guitars and wow, that guys make awesome guitars and not just rip off body types but, they also have their unique ones, If I ever have enough spare money, maybe I will order a custom one, how much would it costs 3000-5000€;? :lol: Anyway, you guys up there are so lucky to have your own guitar company, wish we'd have one too...

Edit: I was wrong there is a custom company here too: http://www.mattcustomguitars.com/

Last edited:
Amfisound guitars are among the most beautiful I've seen, I'd love to have one but I doubt I'd be willing to spend the money on a custom made one.

I looked up to these ampfisound guitars and wow, that guys make awesome guitars and not just rip off body types but, they also have their unique ones, If I ever have enough spare money, maybe I will order a custom one, how much would it costs 3000-5000€? :lol: Anyway, you guys up there are so lucky to have your own guitar company, wish we'd have one too...

Edit: I was wrong there is a custom company here too: http://www.mattcustomguitars.com/
Not to sound smug (That's exactly what I sound like :D) but we have another fairly well known custom guitar company in Finland too (Ruokangas). I actually went to try one of their guitars 1,5 years ago. Got to say I felt kind of dumb playing a 7 500 € guitar, not being a professional of any kind :D

The hand made default models (As in, hand made but not really a custom) from Amfisound are between 2,5k and 3,4k depending on whether it's a bolt-on neck or neck-thru and what bridge you want in it. Don't know how much customizing (Paint, pickups etc.) would cost.

Im looking for VST's

I own a J50BC+JE1k and am looking for the distinct sound of the hatebreeder album.
I myself, am really bad at making sound and amp setups.
I got this file from @Arcane called "Ruchy" which sounds ok but still isnt quite what it should be.

Anyone care to help me out? I use a POD Farm 2.0 with Studio UX2 interface.

thx

PS: in the end I want to have VST's of each seperate album so if u have a VST of a seperate album its always welcome.

Those are the plugins I use mostly. I liked them pretty much at the beginning, but now I think Podfarm is totally shit. I can really get some better tones out of Revalver and even Guitar Rig.

Attachments

• Presets.zip
    4.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Rythmus Metal.l6t
    2.6 KB · Views: 2
Sadly there's no external vst import option. But if you load it into a DAW, you can disable the gear you don't want to use and use any other vst instead. That's what I do sometimes. I disable the speakers and/or the power amp of Podfarm and use the cabs from Revalver f.ex.

I'm rookie in this interface thing never used one, but because soon will be Christmas I've first thought to buy a Roland UA-11DUO CAPTURE MK2(~80€), then about the Peavey Xport(~65€). But maybe I should bring my money and buy a POD interface, the cheapest GX one(~105€), that would be the proper/easiest way. What do you think? Which one do you recommend?

Last edited:
The POD would be the best choice I think. I'm not sure if the Roland and the Peavey bring some VSTs with it. With the POD, you can download and use (or not) Podfarm which isn't bad at all. If you want to buy the POD, then invest 10 bucks more and get yourself the UX1 (what I also own) instead of the GX. But if you only want to have a DI box because you want to use any other VST instead of Podfarm, then take the cheapest one I would say. In that pricerange I don't think that there are huge differents between a DI box of 65€ and 110€. But I know that there are DI boxes for almost 1000€, so maybe I'm talking shit. For myself, I couldn't tell a difference between a cheap and an expensive DI box.

If you buy the POD, you have the advantage of a big community and thousands of free presets.

The POD would be the best choice I think. I'm not sure if the Roland and the Peavey bring some VSTs with it. With the POD, you can download and use (or not) Podfarm which isn't bad at all. If you want to buy the POD, then invest 10 bucks more and get yourself the UX1 (what I also own) instead of the GX. But if you only want to have a DI box because you want to use any other VST instead of Podfarm, then take the cheapest one I would say. In that pricerange I don't think that there are huge differents between a DI box of 65€ and 110€. But I know that there are DI boxes for almost 1000€, so maybe I'm talking shit. For myself, I couldn't tell a difference between a cheap and an expensive DI box.

If you buy the POD, you have the advantage of a big community and thousands of free presets.

I can reckon that most of the free presets u get with Line6 POD farm 2.0 are really good and the ones u can download from line6 website(custom tones made by others) are usually good aswell.

POD farm DOES have an extra gear package which u have to buy seperate which contains ALOT more gear(amps, cabs, pedals, effects)
and some tones use it.

look at it like this

- Free tones in POD farm + downloadable ones from custom tones with no gear from the extra package used = GOOD to VERY GOOD

- Free tones WITH gear used from the extra package = USUALLY PERFECT!

When u download a Tone that uses the extra gear and u open up POD farm it will have the gear(for instance amp) set to disabled with the message yu do not own that amp.

SADLY though u can find EXCELLENT tones when looking for ozzy osbourne and metallica etc...but not one good one for CoB or something else less popular.
Sultans of swing preset for example is PERFECT.(you get the picture)

Pod Farm 2.0 is wonderful program since it is practically 1000 gear options in 1 program for 100-200 bucks.

PS: @<Arcane> Thanks for the files!

Of course it's good and I also bought the metal pack, but IMO you can get better tones out of other VST's like Revalver. The problem there is that you have to tweak everything for yourself and you have to find some good impulse files. It's a lot easier with Podfarm. But if you know what you do and know where you can get some good cab impulse files, it beats the shit out of Podfarm.

Even with free Vsts you can get awesome metal tones. Watch this:

tse x30 is a good plugin. its an imitation of the engl e530, which bodom used in the past. ive a/b tested that against my gp1000 and you can get them sounding pretty close. then I use recabinet for cab sim. 1960 cab with sm57 for early bodom sound and orange cab (celestion vintage 30's) with audix i5 for later bodom sounds. use both close mic'd and off axis. to make it sound even more bad ass throw on a multiband compressor clamping down on the lows and highs. leave the mids open. that'll get your tone sounding pretty bad ass. I generally avoid software suites like podfarm and the like. you can find some pretty good vst's for free. lepou amp sims for example.

anyway, unrelated question. does anyone know what software editor(s?) janne uses with his x5d and xv5050/jv1080?

Last edited:
Of course it's good and I also bought the metal pack, but IMO you can get better tones out of other VST's like Revalver. The problem there is that you have to tweak everything for yourself and you have to find some good impulse files. It's a lot easier with Podfarm. But if you know what you do and know where you can get some good cab impulse files, it beats the shit out of Podfarm.

Even with free Vsts you can get awesome metal tones. Watch this:

:D

My guitar tone is made with the help of that video. Found it first perhaps two years ago and have done some tiny adjustments of my own since, but I still use something very close to what is in this video.

If anyone is interested (I use Cubase 5)...

Compressor (I compress the living shit out of the signal and then boost it by so it is pretty close to 0 dB but doesn't go over it).

Maximizer (This one works kind of like a mix between a compressor and a limiter. It boosts the signal but doesn't let it go beyond 0 dB).

Gate (Just to get the background hissing away).

Poulin Legion Amp Simulator (From Arcane's video. All settings at default).

LeCab 2 (Carthasis Fredman Impulses > 2 off presence high).

Poulin Legion and LeCab can both be downloaded for free from the links in Arcane's video.

Last edited:
Thank you guys, for the help I decided to buy a POD UX1, that Arcane recommended and maybe later on I could become a master magician :)

Last edited:
Thank you guys, for the help I decided to buy a POD UX1, that Arcane recommended and maybe later on I could become a mastering magician :)
Let me tell you, mastering is an easy way of getting bored of a song. :D

You "master" it and it sounds decent but no great. Then you re-do it and it's different, but... is it better? Unable to decide you re-do the original mastering. "No, the second one was better." So you re-do the second one. Then you decide it's not good enough either and edit it. Is it better? No idea. So you edit it some more. By now you'll probably be wondering what was wrong with the first one if anything so you go back and re-do it once more.

This goes on forever.

Reactions: <Arcane>
You're right it has that kind of meaning though. Didn't think about that way:p Btw, just wanted to write a striking end :)