The Children Of Bodom Gear Thread

Did anybody ever find a schematic for the ESP MM-04 preamp?
I´m contemplating building some of them, to put in pedal enclosures, with three switches and a pot on top.

Didn't really know where to post that so I'm posting it here in case some people are interested in CoB's guitar sound. I just found out this presets for BIAS and they all sound pretty close to Laiho's sound.

is this just a VST I can use in Reaper?

or is this for some other program? since I want this but i dont really understand lol

Not gonna lie, I have no idea. I just thought that the sound they managed to get is actually really close to the studio sound of Laiho. I guess it's a VST you could use on Reaper (I use Reaper too so I'll check if I can find a cracked version somewhere to try it out).

Did anybody ever find a schematic for the ESP MM-04 preamp?
I´m contemplating building some of them, to put in pedal enclosures, with three switches and a pot on top.

Check the attched files (those are JE-1000 pics though)
is this just a VST I can use in Reaper?

or is this for some other program? since I want this but i dont really understand lol

Not gonna lie, I have no idea. I just thought that the sound they managed to get is actually really close to the studio sound of Laiho. I guess it's a VST you could use on Reaper (I use Reaper too so I'll check if I can find a cracked version somewhere to try it out).
You need to buy BIAS Amp Professional from Positive Grid to run it. But even when you bought it, your tone won't be the same as in that YT Vid, because they used the Prominy V-Metal plugin to get that tone (it's a realistic guitar tone plugin). Everything you hear is made with VSTs.

Attachments

• DSCN4447.JPG
    DSCN4447.JPG
    794.4 KB · Views: 24
  • je1000.jpg
    je1000.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 231963271_1515bdfd6a_o.jpg
    231963271_1515bdfd6a_o.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 18
Slightly off topic. I recently got a GP-1000, currently using it by slaving the power section of my 6505+ 112 combo. The 6505 is 60 watts and is now too loud for me (even with the GP-1000 set as low as it can possibly be!).
So, if I bought a 5 watt amp, and used that as the power amp for the GP-1000, would it be a lower volume?

Slightly off topic. I recently got a GP-1000, currently using it by slaving the power section of my 6505+ 112 combo. The 6505 is 60 watts and is now too loud for me (even with the GP-1000 set as low as it can possibly be!).
So, if I bought a 5 watt amp, and used that as the power amp for the GP-1000, would it be a lower volume?
I think so but I'm not sure.

I have a thing called a power squeezer that reduces volume in my amp. You could try searching if they are sold as pedals or something (It's built-in in my amp so I'm not sure). Or you could try getting a compressor/distortion pedal to go before the amp and lower the volume from there.

I think so but I'm not sure.

I have a thing called a power squeezer that reduces volume in my amp. You could try searching if they are sold as pedals or something (It's built-in in my amp so I'm not sure). Or you could try getting a compressor/distortion pedal to go before the amp and lower the volume from there.

Sounds like an attenuator? That's cool it's built into the amp.

I just tried my GP-1000 on a Fender Bassbreak 15w. Put it into the FX return of the fender, no difference in volume. Tried plugging directly to the input, and it sounded great at super low volumes. Came home and then tried plugging the preamp directly into my 6505+'s input, sounded awful. Even with the 6505 set to clean it was a distorted flubby mess. Maybe because the natural EQ of the Fender affected the tone less than the EQ of the 6505?

If anybody wants my Pod 2 device I can sell it for a hundred + shipping split.

It works with guitar and bass. To be honest I never bothered to learn to use it properly. I'm a sucker for echo effects and moody effects, but otherwise I'm not advanced enough to try different musical styles, and I like a guitar's natural sound. I just used the chorus 1 with a certain gloomy effect.

Like in 8:20 and many other parts the guy knows how to play the right style on a specific sound. I'll be happy if I learn to play a slow style with echo and some metal music, no further aspirations at this point.

Last edited:
I own the new Jackson RR24 guitar so I figured I'd give you guys the scoop on it in case anyone was interested in buying one and comparing it with similar guitars.

http://www.jacksonguitars.com/guita...series-rhoads-rr24-ebony-fingerboard-natural/

I guess I'll start by comparing it with the Alexi 600 and the Jackson RR24. I used to own an Alexi-600 blacky and currently own the RR24(m). I'd rate them like this:

1) Previous RR24(m)
2) Current RR24
3 Alexi 600 Blacky

In terms of build quality, the older RR24 is by far the best. It feels solid, perfectly weighted. The new RR24 is close, but doesn't feel as solid. The Alexi 600 actually felt kind of cheap to me. The Alexi wasn't balanced well and was too light for such a big guitar. It felt like the components of the guitar would rattle.

In terms of playability I'd say the new RR24 is the best. There's more cutaway behind the neck so top fret access is good. But something about the neck and the way the frets feel is fantastic. The frets are bigger I think, so it's easier to play. Or it's placebo I don't know. The Jackson necks are imo preferable. The Alexi was a fatter neck, but that's really personal preference.

In terms of sound the new RR24 is the best from the factory. The mahagony body and the seymour duncan pickups are actually an incredible combination. Not so much for the older COB sound but it will give a fat edgy sound for the newer stuff. The alexi with the stock pickup sounds like shit. The RR24 with the EMG81 sounded sterile.

Looks are all subjective. But the classic Jackson RR24 with one pickup will always be the favorite in my heart. I've grown out of the Alexi guitars looks wise. The new RR24 is a stunning guitar in person. The reversed headstock I've grown to like and the neck pickup in there actually looks good without the plastic around the pickups.

That's about all I can think of. I can recommend the Jacksons as great guitars for the price point but not the Alexi. Actually I just checked that new Alexi 600's are now $800. That's more appropriate, especially if you get like 10-15% off like you're supposed to when guitar shopping.

Anyone knows how i could get a sound like early alexi laiho with the line 6 hd 500?
i have an RR24 with emg 81

Speaking of the lee Jackson, I’ve had some problems with mine lately, idk if any of you might know what’s wrong.

After about 20 minutes of playing it starts making crackling noises that progressively gets louder. I’ve tried replacing the tubes but that didn’t make a difference, so I figure it has to be internal?

COB should make more of those Thrashed and Lost in Helsinki style videos, this time with Daniel so people would get to "know" him a little better. This video is actually the first time I've ever heard him even talk! :D

Reactions: MaximHateCrew