The Children Of Bodom Gear Thread

Yep that much influences I think... I also have the GP-1000. I played it thru a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 and ENGL Fireball 100. I can tell you that the difference was really very big!

hm ok.. so what do you suggest me to get? a sp1000? will a rocktron velocity 100 or 300 be good to get near the tone?

With the ENGL head, the tone was really great. Maybe the SP-1000 should be one of the most sure options but it's not so easy to find one. I don't know for the others power amps. The only thing that I can suggest you for sure is the ENGL power amp (or a ENGL head).

engl is amazing but really expensive.. the e840 is like 1000e.. i just watched alexis gear in the old albuns and he did used the rocktron velocity 300 in hatebreeder (which has a very good defined tone that i like)! and it isnt very expensive, might get one or the 100... (which is almost the same thing right?)

btw guys do you think that the abq of the alx pickup is the same thing than the je-1000? cuz im thinking on buying the j50bc and replacing the alx for it and keep the abq boost

Why does everybody still think Alexi used the Rocktron Velocity 300 as a poweramp on "Hatebreeder"???

Alexi did use Rocktron Velocity 250 which is just about the same thing with less output watts.

But even if you go to the store today and buy the new version of the 300, you wouldn't get the same sound as the old USA produced units.

And YOU won't get his sound without modding your GP-1000 and getting his style down. A lot of the tone is in his fingers and guitar skills.

Why does everybody still think Alexi used the Rocktron Velocity 300 as a poweramp on "Hatebreeder"???

Alexi did use Rocktron Velocity 250 which is just about the same thing with less output watts.

But even if you go to the store today and buy the new version of the 300, you wouldn't get the same sound as the old USA produced units.

And YOU won't get his sound without modding your GP-1000 and getting his style down. A lot of the tone is in his fingers and guitar skills.

if im able to get this tone im thrilled, its enough for my needs and desire. i dont want to have the exact exact tone or even be alexi laiho himself, i just want to get something near and develop my own tone based on it. and honestly the tone on that video is in my opinion the closest someone got to alexis tone on youtube, and this guy told me himself that its only leejackson gp and sp plus the j80c with the je1000 boost with the good quality and shape of the guitar and the marshall cab. you wont ever sound like alexi thats impossible but this is damn close

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, the J-80C is the closest thing to the J-50BC, but I have 3 different versions of the J-50BC and only one of them resembles Alexi's tone :p One version is an old Charvel version with only to wires, its ooooold and has almost no output, the other is a fusion version that is originally made in japan for Jackson and have some output but not as much as the American version. The third version is the USA made one, with the sticker that says its made in the US, this is the only version of the J-50BC that will give you enough output. Tried all of them with the ABQ, MM-04 and two copy versions of JE-1000. And even with the USA made one it's clear that Alexi's GP-1000 was modded before Hate Crew Deathroll. I can get similar sound to that guy with my setup, but he has the GP-1000 88 model while Ive got the 87 transitional model, the only difference between those to is a tiny tiny bit more gain and the 87 one is a tad more crunchy sound (which I hate :(). I've got the SP-1000 as well and it add some gain to it all which is sweet. You really don't need the Intellifex to get Alexis sound, but it add some great delay and verb if you want, but still haven't found out what preset he used in the old days. If I only had the DVD version of the Alexi documentary from Finnish TV back in 1999 (it's shown there,but the youtube version is to blurry). The effect isn't that definable, because he doesn't use a lot of effect level in the signal but it colors the sound nicely. BTW in the same video you can see that Alexi used the Velocity 250.

What many guys don't know is that you need the right balance between gain and distortion to get a similar Alexi tone. With a minimum of distortion and a lot of gain you'll achieve the clear tone Alexi had. Many people have too much distortion in their settings which makes their tone really unclear. This is good for black metal but not if you'll do a lot of alternate picking. Then of course you'll need a crunchy preamp and a crunchy pickup with a good output (or gainboost). That's all. In my latest videos (NMF & Ugly) I only used my shitty Korg with no effects or anything but you can hear that's an extremely clear and crunchy tone.

Btw. my settings are (0-10):

Gain: 10
Distortion: 2.5
Bass: 5
Mids: 7
Treble: 7

Well when it comes to the GP-1000 it kind of lacks a whole lot of gain, but have a ok distortion, when gain-modded and with a built in guitar preamp the GP-1000 sounds great. And then the settings really wont matter on it, just put everything on full except the master volume for channel 2 and go at it. So for the GP-1000 unmodded a SD-1 pedal and/or EMG ALX or EMG HZ's would get the amp to sing more.

But Arcane, you do use EMG's with one of Alexis JE-1000 copies (ABQ/mm-04) and that alone have a lot more output and gain than the J-50BC + JE-1000 combination. The korg units, all of the Pandora ones, have more gain and more distortion than the GP-1000, only down part with the shitty little things are that they sound like crap when you put them through an amplifier. (well it's just not that great at least).

What many guys don't know is that you need the right balance between gain and distortion to get a similar Alexi tone. With a minimum of distortion and a lot of gain you'll achieve the clear tone Alexi had. Many people have too much distortion in their settings which makes their tone really unclear. This is good for black metal but not if you'll do a lot of alternate picking. Then of course you'll need a crunchy preamp and a crunchy pickup with a good output (or gainboost). That's all. In my latest videos (NMF & Ugly) I only used my shitty Korg with no effects or anything but you can hear that's an extremely clear and crunchy tone.

Btw. my settings are (0-10):

Gain: 10
Distortion: 2.5
Bass: 5
Mids: 7
Treble: 7

so let me get this straight: put the distortion on the amp low and use the overdrive pedal with gain in max?

Rune: No, I have the J-50BC, JE-1000 combination
nunfrog: well, there is a difference between overdrive and distortion. overdrive is good for Punk, Rock, Ska,.... whereas distortion is for harder stuff like Metal. both do some kind of a tube-overdrive but one is for pre-amps (overdrive) and one for power amp (dist.). and to answer your question: gain full but overdrive/distortion very low (thats what I do)

EDIT: You downloaded the Rockhouse BT's in the Tab thread Exodo posted? There you can hear what happens when you have too much distortion in your tone. Listen to some older apreggios/sweeps Alexi played and listen to Track 7 or 9.

danke schön herr arcane!

i see lots of you (even this italian dude) gathering a jackson pickup to the mm04, maybe ill do the same with the abq and jackson j80c. with the lee jacksons gp and sp might not get exactly the tone of the video but it´ll be close for sure. ill tell you guys later about the result if you want

khaos, alexi joined engl some time ago actually, he did last tour using the engl e530 and honestly i was blowned away with the tone on alexis guitar at the sound check before the gig they did

hey again

first of all thank you guys for your help and pacience but i have another problem i cant figure out or my friends around here can..

the lee jackson gp i have and the sp i bought have both american plug so have 117vac instead of the european 230. i´ve been using a transformer i bought for the gp1000 but as when i get very soon the sp1000 i would prefer if i could buy like a rack power conditioner like the furman ones or something. i dont understand nothing of it so i ask you guys if you could show me one on music store or thomann or such that is a power conditioner that will make sure the power will go smooth, protect the equipment of power failures outside and will work for the gp and sp american plug (do the power transformation) and to a european plug tc electronic g-major (the simple rig i want)

once again i really appreciate your help!