The Children Of Bodom Gear Thread

Better go see technician. He will tell you best what to do about it. Well, that's just in case if the people here don't know how to help you solve the problem.

First post correction: Alexi Laiho didn't use a Ibanez 220 B for Something Wild. The Ibanez 220B doesn't have a maple fretboard and it doesn't come with a single-coiled middle pickup. Furthermore the Ibanez 220b doesn't have a pickguard either.

The only guitar Ibanez guitar who features all these specs and have 24 frets, and made before 1997 is the Ibanez 550. So there you go!

Proof:

Last edited by a moderator:
Alexi Laiho:

I first tried an Engl amp-head in 1998 when my own amp had broken down during a recording session and I must say it saved my day. 12 years later I had a similar situation on a tour and once again Engl had my back. Needless to say I decided to roll with them from there on.

1bbde8ca89.jpg

From http://www.engl-amps.com/cms/index.php?id=218

got a new question for you all that play live:

what do you prefer to play on, 4x12 cabs or 2x12? why? whats the ups and downs?

thanks =)

btw whats the best speakers for a cob tone, celestion g12t75 or the V60 ?

and i was thinking and i noticed that the lee jackson sp1000 is a stereo power amp. does that mean i cant use it in mono? cuz i have a 4x12 mono cab only and now that im thinking its possible that the sp1000 wont work in it :S

thanks

(Imo) You can always use stereo guitar stuff in mono. The Lee Jackson GP-1000 is also a stereo pre amp (there are 2 outputs (low/high)) and that doesn't mean you can't use it unless stereo power stuff!
I don't know for the speakers cabs I'm not good at this knowledge but perhaps it could be logical that the ones CoB use are the best for their tone?

btw whats the best speakers for a cob tone, celestion g12t75 or the V60 ?

and i was thinking and i noticed that the lee jackson sp1000 is a stereo power amp. does that mean i cant use it in mono? cuz i have a 4x12 mono cab only and now that im thinking its possible that the sp1000 wont work in it :S

thanks

The SP-1000 isn't bridgeable, so you can't get the full 100 watts out of it on one channel, although you can get 75 watt on 16 ohms in stereo for some reason. www.leejackson.com under the questions section.

I bet Alexi uses 4x12 with g12t75's, but he says himself he used the JCM 800 cabs which was max 250 watts (while the regular is 300w), so go figure :p

One other thing, If you guys bothers to open up your GP-1000's you could easily get a little bit more gain, cause there is a trimpot in the middle of the motherboard which controls distortion level and gain amount. This cannot be turned on max because it will make the tubes give a plate sound, but you could put them pretty close to max if you got good tubes.

Furthermore one the modding of the GP-1000, the parts to be replaced for a little bit extra clarity and gain is easily locatable on the left side of the motherboard beneath the left tube. I personally don't dare to dismount the motherboard in fear of that some cables might loosen. (plus you'd have to remove all the EQ nobs and dismount the pots as well.) A good tech could easily do it, and I could even show him how to If I'd just get my hands on the parts required. Check the mod section on www.metaltronix.net

Featured in the world’s top selling 4x12 cabinet, the G12T-75 is a high powered rock player’s dream.

Built to meet the demands of high gain amplifiers, the G12T-75 combines a huge, tightly controlled low-end and aggressive mid-range with a softened top-end that adds a welcome sweetness to overdrive, distortion and aggressive upper harmonics. These are the characteristics that make the G12T-75 the weapon of choice for Yngwie Malmsteen.

http://professional.celestion.com/guitar/products/classic/detail.asp?ID=5

Heralding a new era of high power loudspeakers when it was first introduced, the G12T-75 is seen by many as the ultimate incarnation of the original Celestion G12M model – a Greenback on steroids! With its aggressive and spiky tonal qualities, the G12T-75 has featured extensively in cabinets like the legendary Marshall 1960. The best selling guitar speaker of all time, the G12T-75 is in fact remarkably versatile, staying clean at thunderously high volume levels. But it’s in rock and metal that this speaker has really made its mark, with an emphasis on huge bass, relaxed mids and vibrant highs.

http://professional.celestion.com/guitar/products/pdfs/G12T-75.pdf

g12t_75.gif

The SP-1000 isn't bridgeable, so you can't get the full 100 watts out of it on one channel, although you can get 75 watt on 16 ohms in stereo for some reason. www.leejackson.com under the questions section.

I bet Alexi uses 4x12 with g12t75's, but he says himself he used the JCM 800 cabs which was max 250 watts (while the regular is 300w), so go figure :p

One other thing, If you guys bothers to open up your GP-1000's you could easily get a little bit more gain, cause there is a trimpot in the middle of the motherboard which controls distortion level and gain amount. This cannot be turned on max because it will make the tubes give a plate sound, but you could put them pretty close to max if you got good tubes.

Furthermore one the modding of the GP-1000, the parts to be replaced for a little bit extra clarity and gain is easily locatable on the left side of the motherboard beneath the left tube. I personally don't dare to dismount the motherboard in fear of that some cables might loosen. (plus you'd have to remove all the EQ nobs and dismount the pots as well.) A good tech could easily do it, and I could even show him how to If I'd just get my hands on the parts required. Check the mod section on www.metaltronix.net

wow are you sure about your saying?? thats great
dsc03515large.jpg

heres some pictures of it inside that looks like mine, can you draw over in paint and show me exactly what you´re talking about? thanks ;)

wow are you sure about your saying?? thats great
dsc03515large.jpg

heres some pictures of it inside that looks like mine, can you draw over in paint and show me exactly what you´re talking about? thanks ;)

Trimpot is obvious and it's the cap right below the tube all the way to the left.

EDIT: Is this lowbergs or my gp1k?

Trimpot is obvious and it's the cap right below the tube all the way to the left.

EDIT: Is this lowbergs or my gp1k?

That's correct, yeah the trimpot is very obvious in the left and center of the motherboard. The blue cap right beneath the first tube on the left needs to be replaced with a smaller resistor cap to provide more clarity and gain. This is just a dismounting and soldering job. Does'nt have to be a tech to get it done. But im still afraid that some cables might come loose while dismounting and my soldering isn't perfect either :p

I will be taking pictures of the mod process on my 88 and 87 in a few days. Video and before/after clips properly mic'd up will follow as well.

Weird how the mod is from 22uf to .68uf. Large decrease.

awesome jonwormwood!

rune ive tried the trimpot you´ve said, and i think its a volume pot. i mean, if you crank it up (volume max) you get more distortion, but i cant crank it up because it may sound shit and fuck the tubes.

If I get my hands on the schematics of that thing, I can probably craft it, just like I did with that JE-1000. It will be hard to find some of the materials (no doubt), but it's not impossible.

awesome jonwormwood!

rune ive tried the trimpot you´ve said, and i think its a volume pot. i mean, if you crank it up (volume max) you get more distortion, but i cant crank it up because it may sound shit and fuck the tubes.

Yeah If you turn it all the way down there is no sound at all, but I got a little extra gain and a tad more distortion by putting in on almost max with my 87 transitional model. Lee Jackson himself says that nothing you do with the trimpot can hurt the tubes, but with my GP-1000 loaded with three groove 12AX7C's it sound like there is a steel plate in the background being smashed on max, just turn it a little back and its fine.
Source: www.leejackson.com under the questions section.
Direct link: http://www.leejackson.com/Questions-Answers/
Link for the mod question/answere: http://metaltronix.net/metaltronix-modification.htm

Probably one of the easiest modifications to do, just replacing a cap on the first gainstage. Two solder points and a bunch of screws. This will give you a GP-1000 that will sound more like the one Alexi used after 2000 and up. Well with the intellifex/gainboost/good poweramp of course!

Schematic wise: Lee Jackson has said that he's going to release it in a schematics book on all his main amps/mods, but he's kind of broke or something cause nowadays his companies only releases effect-boxes and internal guitar effects. Too bad GP-1000II would be a instant hit with effects-loop and channel-switching + MIDI support. This thing have potential (with the mod(s)) to sound a lot better than all these todays preamps such as the Axe-Fx, Boss, Line 6 shit!

Yeah If you turn it all the way down there is no sound at all, but I got a little extra gain and a tad more distortion by putting in on almost max with my 87 transitional model. Lee Jackson himself says that nothing you do with the trimpot can hurt the tubes, but with my GP-1000 loaded with three groove 12AX7C's it sound like there is a steel plate in the background being smashed on max, just turn it a little back and its fine.
Source: www.leejackson.com under the questions section.
Direct link: http://www.leejackson.com/Questions-Answers/
Link for the mod question/answere: http://metaltronix.net/metaltronix-modification.htm

Probably one of the easiest modifications to do, just replacing a cap on the first gainstage. Two solder points and a bunch of screws. This will give you a GP-1000 that will sound more like the one Alexi used after 2000 and up. Well with the intellifex/gainboost/good poweramp of course!

Schematic wise: Lee Jackson has said that he's going to release it in a schematics book on all his main amps/mods, but he's kind of broke or something cause nowadays his companies only releases effect-boxes and internal guitar effects. Too bad GP-1000II would be a instant hit with effects-loop and channel-switching + MIDI support. This thing have potential (with the mod(s)) to sound a lot better than all these todays preamps such as the Axe-Fx, Boss, Line 6 shit!

On the other hand a college of Lee Jackson has released the schematics for Lee Jackson M-1000 which is probably the nearest amplifier in comparing to the GP-1000, if thats any interest? :p