The Children Of Bodom Gear Thread

How can I test it?

Dunno really, maybe a voltmeter can measure the resistance difference between min and max, cause it is noted in the abq and mm-04 manual as well.
Or If you´ve got any soundcard for your PC (line6, m-audio, echo, avid...ect) to USB the signal to your PC and measure it with a studio software ect...

Well, I don't have a real JE-1000. It's also a replica but not one of those you can find in the net. It has the Je-1000 plate with Je-1000 on it and also all solder points are perfect. You can't tell when you look at it if it's a copy or an original one.

Well, I don't have a real JE-1000. It's also a replica but not one of those you can find in the net. It has the Je-1000 plate with Je-1000 on it and also all solder points are perfect. You can't tell when you look at it if it's a copy or an original one.

I´ve bought two out of ebay and one out of this dude at this forum arvoitus or something like that. I think one of the ebay ones was from a guy from finnland who might also be on this forum (predator or mm04) :p had a COB nick on ebay.

And none of them resembles the original at all, but with perfect solder points xP Just looks ugly or like the picture earlier in this thread. :p But their all made with different components :p

Post a picture of yours if you can, I have several pictures of the original and they all look very pro. Can post later if someone is interested, just got to get a account at photobucket or something :p

Well it was while ago. Back in 2010. I remember that arcane posted some links to the schematics. Now I see some other schematics poping up, but since I live in another place, I can't compare them, nor I can check what parts I got for the JE-1000 I put up. I think a friend might have pictures of my very first prototype, but I'll check about it.

This is just a theory or some speculation of mine that I came across in research on jcfonline and with my own guitar preamps.

I'm pretty sure the JE-1000 copies and then I mean all of them are made with a wrong component. I believe the gain trim pot should be a 25k ohm one like the mm-04 and not a 10k ohm one like it says in the fan made schematics. The abq have a 10k ohm one but the input pot is just 25k on that one. What this means is that the Je-1000 copies has only around half of the output of the other two preamps, and that is even below the gain settings alexi uses!

For people that use other amplifiers than the gp-1000 this wont be a issue, but since the gp 1000 lacks gain it comes off as weak even with the je-1000 copies on full.

I do not own any original je 1000 to test with, but I do got a JE-1200 and it is said to be 6db max boost, while the original je-1000 should be 20db (mm04=18, abq=20db) the copies of the je-1000 seems only slight gainier than the je-1200 on full. And I have three different copies and they're all too weak.

Anyone with a real je-1000 that could test the output?

Not sure on component details but I know my 1000 sounds more gainy (real word??!) than the 1200 I used to have. Mine is a copy too and was made by the Jackson forum, bought by a friend and then sold on to me.

Not sure on component details but I know my 1000 sounds more gainy (real word??!) than the 1200 I used to have. Mine is a copy too and was made by the Jackson forum, bought by a friend and then sold on to me.

Well yeah it sounds more gainy, but just a little bit, like if the 1200 supposed to be 6 db of gain overdrive, the 1000 copy is just like 10 when it should be 18 or 20 db. Alexi's settings is about 15 at max according to the mm-04 manual.
My mm-04 sounds very much gainier than any of the JE-1000 copies, and so does the ABQ. But the JE-1000 have better coloration of the sound, which I dig.

I should have done a sound test before I switched them but yeah you're probably right. I can't really remember the 1200 but this sound great.

i've been modding the gp1000. changing out some parts in the gain stages with the cathode resistor and cathode bypass cap. These just increase the gain really.

I think there needs to be a high/low pass before the gain stage and after the tone stack.

i've been modding the gp1000. changing out some parts in the gain stages with the cathode resistor and cathode bypass cap. These just increase the gain really.

I think there needs to be a high/low pass before the gain stage and after the tone stack.

Well the main issue with the GP-1000 is gain and clarity, the mod should fix that. Tone on the other hand should be as it is, unless you modded an early 87 model which have completely different components in the mid and treble department. Some articles online should describe what needs to be replaced. Just type GP-1000 in google search and you'll find the two "back in the rack" articles which you probably know about.
Other then that, get the mail address to this tech in Finland and ask him what he did to the COB GP-1000s and when he did it. Getting his email shouldn't be that hard now that we got his name.

Btw, my guess is that the GP-1000 was modded before the HCDR tour to raise the gain level at lower volumes to help the EMG-HZ H4 shine through. (even with the Boss SD as boost).

in tokyo warhearts, Alexi's gp-1000 was modded??...and his je-1000 how is set??...I'm trying to find out the old set-up of alexi gp-1000 before the HCDR album, but nobody know nothing..

The GP-1000 was probably not modded back in 1999, when Tokyo Warhearts took place, the sp-1000 provides a little extra gain and on high volume levels that would be sufficant for COB.
The JE-1000 (the original) with 20db max set at around 15-18db and boosting the mid and the bass while cutting treble.

I want to modify my gp-1000, but I dont dare as it involves taking off all the knobs and let it hang by the wires of the tubes and outputs, one cable loose and I might be in for a lot of hell to find out where it goes! Other than that it's dead simple :p

Ohh and I suspect, that the output was set higher in the old days, its unclear but can be seen on the alexi documentary video, and he might have been using both outputs aswell but the frames are very unclear. This basiclly means his intellifex was set likewise providing more sustain which is lacking on the unmodded gp-1000 with both the HCDR and AYDY? settings as shown in pictures in this thread.