The Children Of Bodom Gear Thread

This thread is titled Children of Bodom Gear, but all I see is Alexi's gear...

What about Henkka's setup? Jaska's kit, stick preference, and cymbals? Mics used on the albums, etc.?

:popcorn:

This thread is titled Children of Bodom Gear, but all I see is Alexi's gear...

What about Henkka's setup? Jaska's kit, stick preference, and cymbals? Mics used on the albums, etc.?

:popcorn:

yeah good question, i always wondered what was henkkas gear and where jannes sound came out, is like jaska and it only cames out from the PA or does he have a cab next to him like the other members?

Henkka used jackson basses, now three esp signatures with a sansamp bass rack unit and ampeg cabs. Dont think he uses any pedals or effects really. Janne is more difficult, but he use korg keyboards with a korg rack processor and two other rack units. He also got a rack drawer and I have read somewhere on this forum that he use guitar pedals to boost his signal. And in a recent video interview with bodoms in front mixer he said that jannes setup is straight to PA and a lot easier to mix.

Janne:
- Korg X 5D as controller
- Roland JV-2080
- Roland XV-5050
EDIT:
- Proco Turbo Rat
- Boss CE-2 chorus
- Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
- MXR Carbon Copy delay

Mics:

Last edited by a moderator:
[...]

In Children of Bodom, synchronized melody lines are played in unison or in harmony with the guitars. Do you try to emulate guitars, or do you come up with more contrasting timbres?

For the past three or four albums, I’ve been using the same lead sound, which is a Korg Polysix emulation on JV-series Roland synths. Originally I used the JV-2080. Now, I use the XV-5050, which is based on the same architecture. But the XV-5050 has USB on it, so I can use the computer to edit and store stuff. I use a patch made by Jens Johansson, and I run that through a Turbo Rat distortion box. I just like the distortion lead sound. When Alexi [Laiho, guitarist] and I play these lines, we try to bend in unison. But I’m not trying to make it sound like a guitar. The distortion makes some people think I’m trying to play like a guitar, but I’m not.

Do you use any other effects?

I use a Boss CE-2 chorus and NS-2 Noise Suppressor on my leads. The chorus is before the distortion; the Noise Suppressor comes after. I get a lot of noise sometimes. Maybe it’s from my power supplies. Recently, I’ve been using the MXR Carbon Copy delay on my leads. I don’t know how I played before without this delay! So the delay is at the end of the chain. It’s not mixed very loud, just enough to smooth things out.

What controller keyboards do you use live?

All of those are Korg X5s or X5Ds. The X5 is so small and light, and I really like its feel. It has pitch and mod wheels instead of the usual Korg joystick. I’m so old-school with that stuff—I like using the wheels! I overbend with joysticks. It’s too bad they don’t make those anymore. I literally have ten of them. I started buying them because I don’t like the keyboards that are made nowadays. I play one onstage, but I have a backup at every show. Sometimes, when we do the big headliner shows, I have two keyboards on stage. One is at my keyboard station, and then another is down at the end of this walkway onstage. I also have a spare Roland XV-5050, although that has never failed me.

[...]

GEAR_Jussi-Hyttinen_nr.jpg
Janne with some of his favorite studio synths.
Front: Korg X5 flanked by Genelec monitors.
Right: Nord Wave above Roland Juno-106.
Far right: Wurlitzer 200A.
Back wall, left to right: Korg X5, Hohner String Melody II, Roland JD-800.

[...]

Let’s talk about some important sounds used on specific songs you’ve recorded.

On “Living Dead Beat”, the first song on the Are You Dead Yet? CD, the intro starts with a synth bass. This is from the original demo Alexi and I recorded, before we went into the studio. It was a Nord Lead Rack combined with something from a Roland JV—just a killer bass sound. We tried to recreate it in the real studio sessions, but everything we did sucked compared to this demo we’d recorded drunk in the middle of the night! So we used the track from the demo. We also recorded Britney Spears’ “Oops, I Did It Again” for our recent cover album Skeletons in the Closet. On the original, it’s a sampled piano down low. When we recorded the drums at Finnvox, the studio, I thought, “Hey, there’s a great grand piano in here!” So I used that—a Yamaha concert grand—for the beginning.

[...]

That's it.

A bit expensive?!?!? You must be a complete idiot if you would spent that much money for an effects processor which can't do anything execpt more gain!

i wouldnt i just got curious about what i asked. not only u didnt answer the question but u kinda insulted me. u see this is why i dont like germans, u´re arrogant and try to outsmart people, typical douche

Just got a original JE-1000 from 1988 that I bought on ebay a while back, have to say it sound 10 times better than the best copy I've got and is a lot louder than the copy. So there I can confirm that the output on the JE-1000 copies should be higher. I don't know if it is the trim-pot or some of the other components, but it sounded hell'a sweet with both the GP-1000 and the ENGL e570. It's not only louder/gainier, but has even more "wah" sound to it.

Best part: only payed 75 bucks for it :p

Just got a original JE-1000 from 1988 that I bought on ebay a while back, have to say it sound 10 times better than the best copy I've got and is a lot louder than the copy. So there I can confirm that the output on the JE-1000 copies should be higher. I don't know if it is the trim-pot or some of the other components, but it sounded hell'a sweet with both the GP-1000 and the ENGL e570. It's not only louder/gainier, but has even more "wah" sound to it.

where did you buy it?

where did you buy it?