The Children Of Bodom Gear Thread

So what you are saying is that you don't like bodom for their guitarsound?
I do got the e570 and even that one can't perfect the mid sound from the gp-1000. It gets a little bit closer than the e530 and it's midi, so why Alexi don't use it is just idiotic!

And yeah, I'll try to post som pictures and possibly video/soundclips if I get the chance.

No, I'm saying that the amp isn't the only quality going into what makes his sound. And the reason you can't get the same sound with the e570 is because you're obviously not Alexi. I saw him last year using his ENGL and it sounded as good as he ever has, if not better. Alexi's tone hasn't changed that drastically honestly. His playing technique has, but his signature mid-heavy, percussive, treble-y sound is still there so.

Also, while I will agree with you that Alexi does have great tone, it's not that hard to emulate with quite a few different amps. With one pedal, and my 6505 I can get pretty much the same tone. It's all about how you dial in your eq's and you go about your technique. Technique is the most important thing obviously. Maybe you guys don't realize it, but the GP-1000 hasn't been used on EVERY album, he's used like 2 or 3 other amps on some of them -_____-

But obviously I could cover his songs, therefore using his style of playing, and should be able to sound as close as possible as his live tone. ENGL e530 or e570 is the closest you'll get rack-wise to his GP-1000, I can also get pretty close with my friends ADA-MP1, but it's modified as well. Yeah it sounds good, but not quite as good as his old Jackson -> GP-1000 -> intellifex -> SP-1000 combo. That shit is pure epic :

Nunofrg:

I wouldn't buy either, I would rather wait and buy Rocktron Velocity 250 or 300 US version or a Peavey classic 50/50 (and SP-1000 or VHT/Fryette).
Any type of slitting would do, but you could search for one that's "true bypass" if you don't want to color your sound or get any loss in tone.

I suppose, that sounds come from alot of factors aside from just his gear though. Production, etc. Look at Mitch and Arcane. Mitch had the GP-1000 and J-50 and was probably about as close to his sound as it gets but still not identical. Arcane I'm pretty sure just uses Toneport but has an Alexi-600 with a Blackout in it and his tone is also extremely close. I've seen quite a few people on here that have owned the same setup as him and while it gets them pretty damned close, it's still not the same.

Also, Alexi does have good tone, but to be honest, there are way better guitar players out there tone-wise and technique-wise. Go give a listen to Onset of Putrefaction by Necrophagist, Winds of Creation by Decapitated, the self-titled Animals as Leaders album, anything by Spawn of Possession, Sleep Terror, or even Explosions in the Sky or Scale the Summit.

Alexi is a good guitar player, but you people here need to detach yourself from this notion that you need to do everything that he does. So many people follow his style of playing and then get stuck in it, and to be honest it gets redundant and generic. Just look at all the other bands that have tried sounding like them that people have quit caring about:

Norther, Mors Principium Est, Naildown, Archeon.

It's not even worth it. No one cares about those bands, not because they're bad, but because they've already heard it all before. If you're going to go after Alexi's technique and sound and mix it with other stuff then good for you, I applaud you, but please be original and be yourself and stop trying so hard to be something that you're not. That's who they are, not who you are. The sooner you learn that the sooner you guys would quit wasting your days being on here so much and actually start making your own music.

I suppose, that sounds come from alot of factors aside from just his gear though. Production, etc. Look at Mitch and Arcane. Mitch had the GP-1000 and J-50 and was probably about as close to his sound as it gets but still not identical. Arcane I'm pretty sure just uses Toneport but has an Alexi-600 with a Blackout in it and his tone is also extremely close. I've seen quite a few people on here that have owned the same setup as him and while it gets them pretty damned close, it's still not the same.

Also, Alexi does have good tone, but to be honest, there are way better guitar players out there tone-wise and technique-wise. Go give a listen to Onset of Putrefaction by Necrophagist, Winds of Creation by Decapitated, the self-titled Animals as Leaders album, anything by Spawn of Possession, Sleep Terror, or even Explosions in the Sky or Scale the Summit.

Alexi is a good guitar player, but you people here need to detach yourself from this notion that you need to do everything that he does. So many people follow his style of playing and then get stuck in it, and to be honest it gets redundant and generic. Just look at all the other bands that have tried sounding like them that people have quit caring about:

It's not even worth it. No one cares about those bands, not because they're bad, but because they've already heard it all before. If you're going to go after Alexi's technique and sound and mix it with other stuff then good for you, I applaud you, but please be original and be yourself and stop trying so hard to be something that you're not. That's who they are, not who you are. The sooner you learn that the sooner you guys would quit wasting your days being on here so much and actually start making your own music.

All very true, but this IS a thread specifically about their gear and it is interesting. I myself find Alexi's older tones very magical and interesting, however I have no interest in being an imitator. I would like how to still tho, because I admire his playing style. Knowing the ups and downs of sounds you like will help you make your own style. Its called influence :D
Some people just dont see the difference between influence and copying. Maybe some would like to copy too, and that's their business :D

Cheers

what's wrong with getting the sound you like the most and using it for your own style and material?

Arcane I'm pretty sure just uses Toneport but has an Alexi-600 with a Blackout in it and his tone is also extremely close.

Just to correct you... I had a J-50BC + JE-1000 installed (since 3 months or so HZ-H4 + JE-1000) and use my korg as effects processor but mostly lots of impulse files or vsts like Revalver. Well, since 1 year or so I only use Revalver to get my tone

Edit: I've uploaded a new video on YT 3 days ago where I tested an e530 impulse file. I think only with this impulse file the tone sounds pretty close to Alexis (lead)tone. The quality isn't that good because I've recorded it with my mobile phone and also the playing sucks but you can hear it pretty good. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HDC4-kjGLw&list=UUiqdBALEqxnf-sbyo_BITGw&index=1&feature=plcp[/ame]

Oh, and here's a video where you can see one of my friends playing my guitar (not that sober but he has a great vibrato technique) with the same impulse file but all mini-switches of the JE off whereas the second switch in my Ugly solo video is on. I never thought that there's such a gib difference in tone! The first video has a lot more treble and less mids in tone. Which tone do you like more? [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B7AYY-5PHk&list=UUiqdBALEqxnf-sbyo_BITGw&index=2&feature=plcp[/ame]

what's wrong with getting the sound you like the most and using it for your own style and material?

Nothing, that was the point I was making. If you're going to have your own style that's fine, but I don't think you should try to make someone else's style your own. Just take what you need from it but don't fall into it.

Just to correct you... I had a J-50BC + JE-1000 installed (since 3 months or so HZ-H4 + JE-1000) and use my korg as effects processor but mostly lots of impulse files or vsts like Revalver. Well, since 1 year or so I only use Revalver to get my tone

Hmm. I could have sworn you had a Blackout in that thing. Regardless, your tone was pretty damned close. Why did you switch to the H4 though?

I used to have a J-50BC as well but never even installed it and lost it when I moved :lol: To be honest I don't think that pickup is anything that can't be emulated and I wouldn't trade my Bareknuckle Painkiller for anything.

Yes, I had a blackout/mm-04 combi when Blooddrunk was released but wasn't really satisfied with this tone. Here's a little pickup/gainboost history of mine: first I had a HZ-H4/PA-2 combo, then blackout/PA-2, then blackout/mm-04, then J-50BC/mm-04, then J-50BC/JE-1000, then HZ-H4/Je-1000. The last combo ist the best I ever had because the HZ-H4 has more gain, more bass, is more agressive and has a cleaner tone then the J-50BC. I think this is my final combo. At least for this guitar.

Also, while I will agree with you that Alexi does have great tone, it's not that hard to emulate with quite a few different amps. With one pedal, and my 6505 I can get pretty much the same tone. It's all about how you dial in your eq's and you go about your technique. Technique is the most important thing obviously. Maybe you guys don't realize it, but the GP-1000 hasn't been used on EVERY album, he's used like 2 or 3 other amps on some of them -_____-

True. I can have almost just the same sound as on AYDY or Blodddrunk with my Peavey. However I dont wanna be a copycat so I try to develop my own sound.
And indeed, the techinque is the thing! youre not as stupid than I thought man :-D

I just bought the 2003 Spinefarm LP Vinyl of Hate Crew Deathroll from eBay. I noticed on the sleeve, that encases the actual vinyl, that there are only lyrics for four of the songs (Needled 24/7, You're Better Off Dead, Chokehold (Ccoked 'N' Loaded, and Hate Crew Deathroll). Am I missing another slip that should have come with the vinyl that has the other lyrics of the songs. Or is this is (the cover, the sleeve, and the record). Any help is appreciated since this is a gift for my girlfriend who loves this album. I want to give it to her complete of course.

Edit: I've uploaded a new video on YT 3 days ago where I tested an e530 impulse file. I think only with this impulse file the tone sounds pretty close to Alexis (lead)tone. The quality isn't that good because I've recorded it with my mobile phone and also the playing sucks but you can hear it pretty good. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HDC4-kjGLw&list=UUiqdBALEqxnf-sbyo_BITGw&index=1&feature=plcp

Oh, and here's a video where you can see one of my friends playing my guitar (not that sober but he has a great vibrato technique) with the same impulse file but all mini-switches of the JE off whereas the second switch in my Ugly solo video is on. I never thought that there's such a gib difference in tone! The first video has a lot more treble and less mids in tone. Which tone do you like more? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B7AYY-5PHk&list=UUiqdBALEqxnf-sbyo_BITGw&index=2&feature=plcp

I like both of those tones very much! If you could some how combine the 2 it would be great. Frist one needs more depth to it(mids), second one needs more highs to it....for my tastes.

Don't really think I've ever heard a bad tone come from your playing to be honest.

Nothing, that was the point I was making. If you're going to have your own style that's fine, but I don't think you should try to make someone else's style your own. Just take what you need from it but don't fall into it.

Hmm. I could have sworn you had a Blackout in that thing. Regardless, your tone was pretty damned close. Why did you switch to the H4 though?

I used to have a J-50BC as well but never even installed it and lost it when I moved :lol: To be honest I don't think that pickup is anything that can't be emulated and I wouldn't trade my Bareknuckle Painkiller for anything.

Got any sound clips of the BK PK? Been wanting to hear more of those. Hear nothing but great things about those PU's.

Not at the moment, no :/ I need to get off my lazy ass and go put up some recordings of my gear in general, but that means I'd have to tote it all to my friends house where I can do it and I can just never work up the motivation to do it lol. Maybe sometime this weekend though when I have alot of free time I can.

=>
557545_10151945561680290_870173876_n.jpg

Mad Professor goes heavy: Finnish Heavy Metal phenomenon Children Of Bodom tours with Mad Professor pedals.
On the photo there is Janne's keyboard rig, Alexi Laiho uses the "Electric Blue Chorus" pedal and Henkka hammers his bass through "Blueberry Bass Overdrive".

282099.jpg
262593.jpg