The concerts thread

Went to see Opeth last night. Overall a pretty mediocre show- not because of the band, but the sound in the venue was terrible and this one redneck asshole kept howling like a wolf during the quiet parts... I should have expected as much going to Athens GA with a bunch of UGA kids :/

Went to see Opeth last night. Overall a pretty mediocre show- not because of the band, but the sound in the venue was terrible and this one redneck asshole kept howling like a wolf during the quiet parts... I should have expected as much going to Athens GA with a bunch of UGA kids :/

If you lived in my area, you could of never asked for a better venue, the sound was incredible. The past 2 concerts I've gone to were in that location and usually my ears would be ringing of how loud it was in other venues. No problems with this venue, and it was awesome!

There was a really amazing quality one, but I couldn't find it anymore for some reason.

Last edited by a moderator:

A lot of smaller venues sound like shit and I think most people do not have some ridiculous expectation of what a band is going to sound like live blasting through a PA. Ofcourse there are probably some nice concert halls that sound cool. I'm not big on live shows, but I like to try and watch a band play. If you know the songs and watch a band play it actually sounds better. My main problem with live shows is just to much bass and drums. Opeth has pretty massive guitars so they cut through. Same when I saw Alice in Chains,Velvet Revolver,Heaven and Hell. Jerry Cantrell's guitars were huge despite Alice in Chains not being the heaviest or most metal band on the entire planet.

if the band lets the local soundman do the front of house it is often better when the sound system is shitty... then know the tricks to make it work in their own place... like driving your own beatup car.

that being said I hate when some drunk idiot doesn't know the difference between an opeth show and a judas priest show. Both are awesome but you have very different types of buzzes going on...

Vektor is going to be playing literally down the street from me, but at a 21+ bar. Fuck.... I need to get a fake one of these days

At Alex's bar? I went to that show last night, Vektor, Exmortus, Warbringer. Vektor played an awesome set. I don't remember all the songs, but Forest of Legend, Dying World, Black Future, Cosmic Cortex were in there. I got to meet their drummer twice (first time I didn't know he was in the band! he was just like "nice Vektor shirt" and we started talking, then I had to say hi again after their set), and I met the singer briefly.

The singer from Warbringer tried to start a pit and spilled some dude's beer all over me lol. He was cool though.

Exmortus was good too, although they didn't play their best stuff I felt like. Kneel Before the Steel was a highlight. Fun night.

Am seeing MEGADETH in 24 HOURS TIME.

Never seen before, am very excited, hope Dave can still play haha

And they fucking killed it! Just as good as when they played MDF even though it was a week and like 6 shows later. They seemed tired and ran into some sound problems but when things were going the metal was flowing! Check out this picture I took of Voltaire Antichristo, I'm quite proud of it.

14mewlg.jpg

Deiphago would be rad live.

Vektor killed when i saw them, stood a few inches from them the whole set. only disappointment was that they didn't play Destroying the Cosmos. i don't usually yell songs out that i want to hear like some people do, but i shouted for Destroying the Cosmos, and the drummer just gave me this look like "not happening man", haha.

You'll love it. I've seen them about 5+ times and I've absolutley loved it everytime.

I certainly did! Was literally completely absorbed with a massive grin on my face for the whole 1.5 hours.

They played most of Countdown, the playing was perfect, particularly the solos. They have great stage presence too, Dave was awesome!

:kickass:
World Management and Morbid Angel would like to announce the 20th Anniversary of Covenant--United States Tour 1993-2013. The tour is to be a celebration by the Masters of Chaos of their legendary biggest selling release, the album “Covenant".
In 1992, Morbid Angel was the first Extreme Death Metal band to be signed to a major label (Giant Records / Warner Brothers) and "Covenant" was to be their first release on that label in the USA. The album was released on June 22, 1993 and went on to garner great critical and commercial success. On tour, the band will play the “Covenant” album in it’s entirety and after a short intermission some additional surprise classic cuts. Further, there will be special commemorative items produced exclusively for this tour.
All advance Tickets will go on sale July 19, 2013.

COVENANT 2013 U.S. TOUR DATES:
Atlanta, GA - Nov 7 - The Masquerade
Charlotte, NC - Nov 8 - Tremont Music Hall
Baltimore, MD - Nov 9 - Baltimore Soundstage
Cambridge, MA - Nov 10 - Middle East Nightclub
New York, NY - Nov 12 - Irving Plaza
Philadelphia, PA - Nov 13 - Theatre of the Living Arts
Cleveland, OH - Nov 16 - Peabody's Downunder
Chicago, IL - Nov 17 - House Of Blues
Minneapolis, MN - Nov 18 - Mill City Nights
Sauget, IL - Nov 19 - Pops
Lawrence, KS - Nov 20 - Granada