The concerts thread

Shit, I didn't know that Metal Haven was going to have a ridiculous sale like that. Looks like that trip will be extended an hour and a couple hundred dollars.

Edit: I wish The Chasm and Slauter Xstroyes were the top two bands though. Oh well.

No problem, I hope it'll become an annual thing because its an awesome idea. Who wouldn't want to hang out on a cruise ship seeing bands and getting to hang out with them as well?

Yeah it will be an interesting turn out. The fact that I would need to buy an airplane ticket to Florida on top of the event cost steers me away, but I agree it is a good idea. Plus, with a name like 70,000 tons of metal, who wouldnt be intersted?!

Shit, I didn't know that Metal Haven was going to have a ridiculous sale like that. Looks like that trip will be extended an hour and a couple hundred dollars.

Edit: I wish The Chasm and Slauter Xstroyes were the top two bands though. Oh well.

The flyer has The Chasm and Slauter Xstroyes listed last, I really don't see how any of the other bands could be after them, but hey, Suffocation opened for Demon Hunter so whatever.

Today is the three year anniversary of the time I met Goatwhore and they gave me a ride back to my college campus in their van. I only remember the date because it's on my pictures.

@Kramp

free_candy.jpg

Dude, definitely go see them. I saw them with Primordial last year and decided against seeing them this year, due to the fact that they were the only band I was interested in on the tour. But I so regret it after seeing the setlist. If I remember correctly it was:

Jumalten Kaupunki (!)
Pakanajuhla
Koylionjarven Jaalla
Pimea
Tulimyrsky (!)
Aurinko Jaa Kuu (!)

That was their set, actually. Totally blew my mind, because I got to hear almost everything I wanted to, with the exception of Tuleen Ajettu Maa. The finale in Tulimyrsky fucking delivered. Jumalten Kaupunki was a grand opener. Pimea was dark as fuck.

By the way, it was my first time seeing them, because Paganfest 2009 didn't come through Colorado.

Damn you, lucky bastard.

If I remember correctly, Moonsorrow's set last May was:

Rauniolla
Kylan Paassa
Pimea
Pakanajuhla
Sakaritarina

Honestly, they were disappointing live, their older more symphonic stuff didn't translate all that well live. Maybe it was just the shitty keyboard sound of the venue. (it sounded like a light flute the whole time, as opposed to an epic fucking string accompaniment)

Also, the first two bands were boring as fuck (Swashbuckle and Blackguard). Blackguard was retarded for putting their fucking metal banners in front of their amps and then wondering why they had static and feedback the whole set. Also they had a raised platform for guitar solos which was the gayest thing ever. Swashbuckle was meh but fun to watch.

Then, Primordial came on after Moonsorrow and Nemtheanga delivered like the vocal god he is. Better live band than Moonsorrow imo. Didn't stay for Korpiklaani.

At Paganfest Primordial was easily the best there was, but Korpiklaani was surprisingly good as well. Moonsorrow wasn't as good as I was expecting/hoping, Blackguard was meh, and I missed Swashbuckle.

Blackguard was retarded for putting their fucking metal banners in front of their amps and then wondering why they had static and feedback the whole set.

Oh wow. "No matter where we go this shit follows us, even when other bands have good sound. I guess god just hates us."

As much as I love Altar Of Plagues, I'd have to worry that live their huge sound wouldn't fit that great.

And on the subject of great bands that don't fit live (Agalloch being the most obvious/infamous example), not sure if I mentioned this before, but me not seeing Orphaned Land at BB Kings turned out to be a blessing in disguise. As much as I'm obsessed with their new album, watching the live clips of the show made me lose some respect. Much of the show was simply backing tracks of the symphonic/folk instruments and female vocals. It was absolutely ridiculous/disappointing how much they had as backing tracks.