The concerts thread

I'm going to Amon Amarth at the Palladium. New album convinced me. Epic, it is. The best I've heard from them for sure, even counting the first couple.
Another elitist converted.

I'm going with my friend Dan, who drove Nick and I to MDF (and will be again in '09...so sick). There's a chance we'll hang out with you :p
Send my regards to Dan.

Review of the Amorphis/Samael/Virgin Black show last night.

First off the show should have been at the Pearl Room but the severe lack of ticket sales forced them to move it next door into what used to be an Italian restaurant:erk:. It amazes me that a band of Amorphis's caliber (topping the Finnish charts, selling out gigs over there) can't fill up a smaller venue. Maybe their US fanbase is smaller than i thought.

Anyhow I showed up late for Virgin Black but just in time for the lame Rammstein ripoffs Samael. They had an annoying drum machine going for every song to replace the real drummer and were horrible to say the least. I'm sure a few people on this board love them but they are not my cup of tea AT ALL.

Then Amorphis.
Let me start off by saying that Pasi was a great singer but Tomi fills his shoes nicely. Tomi is the perfect vocalist, his growls and cleans are amazing live. Despite being moved into a shitty venue next door it didn't seem to affect them at all. They ripped it up.

Setlist(from what i remember):
Under A Soil And Black Stone
Morning Star
Against Widows
Her Alone
Leaves Scar
My Kantele (heavy version)
Alone
Into Hiding
I Of Crimson Blood
song off of The Karelian Isthmus, don't remember
The Way

Encore:Black Winter Day

Couldn't have asked for a better setlist tbh. I was hoping for "Better Unborn" but suprisingly they didn't play it.
All in all it was a fun night, i got to meet Larry from Novembers Doom and he's a very cool guy. He was standing in front of me with his girlfriend for Amorphis.

I just saw Watain tonight. They were pretty good live which was nice considering the 3 opening bands really sucked.

I'm looking extremely forward to Watain. I dont' care about the other bands. I'll be hairwhipping for the full hour or however long they play. :headbang:

Sick. UM meet @ Worcester. We can meet with my friends Pat and Gabe at Woostah Pizza.

I'm going with my friend Dan, who drove Nick and I to MDF (and will be again in '09...so sick). There's a chance we'll hang out with you :p

Nice. I was going with some friends, but one pulled out (to go to the Jimmi Hendrix Experience, despite the fact that Hendrix died 30 years ago). If I'm gonna be meeting up with Zeph in Boston, perhaps I'll just hitch a ride with him (assuming that offer's still valid) and meet up with my friends in Worcester.

I'm looking extremely forward to Watain. I dont' care about the other bands. I'll be hairwhipping for the full hour or however long they play. :headbang:

I think they played about 1h. I'm awful with song titles but I remember them playing Devil's Blood, Sworn to the Dark and they covered the song Watain originallly by Von as an encore. They did a pretty good performance even though the attendance was quite poor (Ottawa really sucks for shows compared to Montreal).

But like I said, the opening bands were pretty bad. If I could go again, I'd skip the first bands and just go see Watain.

Seeing some popular punk (hardcore? no idea) outfit called Rise Against tonight in Cambridge. I know nothing about them, but I think they've been on MTV, which makes me a little leery. I will probably enjoy as long it's loud and there's moshing, though- and it's free, so what the hell!

Seeing some popular punk (hardcore? no idea) outfit called Rise Against tonight in Cambridge. I know nothing about them, but I think they've been on MTV, which makes me a little leery. I will probably enjoy as long it's loud and there's moshing, though- and it's free, so what the hell!

haha...more along the lines of pop punk...

Nice. I was going with some friends, but one pulled out (to go to the Jimmi Hendrix Experience, despite the fact that Hendrix died 30 years ago). If I'm gonna be meeting up with Zeph in Boston, perhaps I'll just hitch a ride with him (assuming that offer's still valid) and meet up with my friends in Worcester.

The offer is still valid. No need to pitch in for gas, either.

@zeph: sweet. Although assuming the gas would come out to less than the $13 it would cost to take the bus I'd totally cover it. Anyhow, I trust you received my PM with cell and email?

haha...more along the lines of pop punk...

yeah, turned out to be.

actually really fun though, it was a tiny ass venue and I almost got bounced. Good times!

after I got out I found out that watain was playing next door, but i didn't really regret my decision.

Oh, and this gets a separate post- PIG DESTROYER are gonna be at Maryland Deathfest! Sick!

Saw Iron Maiden back in June. It was a gut busting good time ( BEST SET LIST EVER - EDDIE CAME OUT TWICE!! =D ) besides the fact it rained the ENTIRE TIME ( which was pretty metal ) and I had to endure the opening band ( Steve Harris's daughter - I'm sorry but she sucks =0 ). I missed out on a chance to see Opeth TWICE D: and one of them was with Dream Theater as well.