The concerts thread

The more often I go to metal shows, the more I'm convinced I don't really like them. I tend to only enjoy bands that I'm very familiar with. I can't remember the last time I was more than sort of impressed by a band I didn't already know.

To be honest I don't go much these days either. I probably go to more jazz gigs. Metalheads and the whole mob mentality horns-in-the-air annoys me :)

But I am pumped to see Agalloch and Dornenreich tonight. I haven't been this excited by a gig in a long time.

Whitesnake :)ill:). Priest will play British Steel in its entirety as well as some other songs. I read somewhere that Uriah Heep could possibly jump on the tour for a few dates, but that's just a rumor at this point.

Whitesnake? What the hell.

tbh that description sounds awful, as a dedicated barrier hog I detest pits and crowd surfing, Why can't everyone just crowd around and headbang?

The only pits I cannot stand at shows are the ones where people are purposely trying to beat the ever-living shit out of each other and cause serious harm. Pits can be awesome if everyone involved is there to have fun, enjoy the music and look out for one another (ie: if someone falls down, pick them up).

Thing is, when you're on the barrier the pit basically means that there's a sudden crush every couple seconds. If it was a constant crush it'd be tolerable, but it's like getting shoved every couple seconds while you're just trying to watch the band/headbang. My main problem. If the pit doesn't involve constantly slamming into the front (and they all do), it's fine. I've never gone in a pit because it looks fucking stupid and I'm there to watch and hear the band play, not run in a circle. That said, I do see how it could be fun.

A guy I know who's a total punk has some amusing stories about hardcore pits. Apparently amongst a certain scene the purpose really is to cause as much physical pain as possible, and they go in swinging bullet belts and shit. Also, at this one concert he was at, some guy came in with long hair in a black leather trenchcoat (into a sweaty hardcore concert) and stood in the center of the floor. This happened to be in the middle of the circle pit, but he just ignored them. Everyone stayed away from him, apparently.

Setlist:

Limbs
Not Unlike the Waves
Dead Winter Days
As Embers Dress the Sky
I Am the Wooden Doors
The Lodge (updated)

Not the greatest show to be honest. The venue was shit, like a garage, and the sound quality was pretty poor. The sound quality was probably Agalloch's fault, because Dornenreich sounded OK. Man it really pisses me off when bands with a more delicate sound try to be all bad-ass and heavy when they play live. Too much bass, not enough vocals or treble. Plus given Dornenreich was the headliner (WTF??) Agalloch's set was pretty short. They played a newer version of The Lodge, which they dedicated to Neige who was in the audience and funnily enough it did sound like an Alcest song.

As for Dornenreich, I'm not a fan of their newer stuff. They sounded surprisingly good and heavy, for a guitar/drums/violin three piece and the vocalist really gives his all. But it's not very memorable music.

I don't even go to shows anymore because majority of people are just dicks and don't even like people to begin with so the last place I want to be is around smelly dicks. Opening bands suck and bands generally sound like bass guitar.

everyone wears the same T-Shirts and it's like a halloween party.

Setlist:

Limbs
Not Unlike the Waves
Dead Winter Days
As Embers Dress the Sky
I Am the Wooden Doors
The Lodge (updated)

Not the greatest show to be honest. The venue was shit, like a garage, and the sound quality was pretty poor. The sound quality was probably Agalloch's fault, because Dornenreich sounded OK. Man it really pisses me off when bands with a more delicate sound try to be all bad-ass and heavy when they play live. Too much bass, not enough vocals or treble. Plus given Dornenreich was the headliner (WTF??) Agalloch's set was pretty short. They played a newer version of The Lodge, which they dedicated to Neige who was in the audience and funnily enough it did sound like an Alcest song.

Wait, Neige was at the show? That's crazy. You should of asked him about a new album from Peste Noire, haha.

Does he really look all that fucked-up as he does in that M-A picture on the Alcest page?

I don't even go to shows anymore because majority of people are just dicks and don't even like people to begin with so the last place I want to be is around smelly dicks. Opening bands suck and bands generally sound like bass guitar.

everyone wears the same T-Shirts and it's like a halloween party.

Though that was a fucking terrible and butchered attempt at declaring why shows suck so much, I agree. I really hate all the people there who make pathetic attempts at making friends like, "Hey, nice shirt. That's my favorite band. They Rule!" Seriously, I can't tell you how many numbers I have seen exchanged when these people try to make casual friends. I also hate the people who try and single out teenagers, like me, and try to sound all cool to us and be like, "Nice shirt, whats your favorite album by them? I bet you have not even heard "band x," or they try to critique your music choice and make attempts at explaining their "superiority" in music taste since they are older. Seriously, shut the fuck up. It's just strange going to these shows sometimes and the people are pathetic and lonely or just really like to try and be an asshole. The people at the Interpol concert were all tools, trying to be Paul Banks and such. Fuck them.

The sound always sucks. The opening bands for metal gigs are usually lame deathcore bands. Fuck that.

Sometimes you do get really cool people who actually are interesting. Like at the Nachtmystium/Yakuza show where Bruce Lamont from Yakuza thanked us for coming out and Blake Judd said a few things to us and stuff. That was cool even with the normal people talking to us about metal and asking interesting stuff to try and get some real discussion in music.

Of course something like Sunn 0))) is interesting live and other things that are more improvised and "artsy" like Gang Gang Dance or whatnot.

...But that's just me.

Saw Destruction last night. Within the Chaos was horrible deathcore. Havok always sucks. Mantic Ritual was a really impressive thrash band I've never heard of. Talked to the guitarist and he's gonna listen to our new stuff to see if he can get us on the next gig. Krisun ruled. Destruction ruled. Amazing show.

California Death Fest = Awesome

13 hours was a little bit long to stand, but most of the bands were pretty good and, aside from some sound problems (the bass was overwhelming and you couldn't hear a lot of the guitar work), I enjoyed it a lot.

Here's my quick review of the bands...

Isolation Infamy - sound was bad, hard to tell what they were playing, sounded like pretty average death metal (reminded me a lot of Arsis and Hieronymous Bosch).

Destroy the Opposition - disgustingly average moshcore band with annoying breakdowns and slamdancers in the pit. It was difficult to stand this band. The drums were the highlight of the set.

Ossification - don't remember their set at all.

Gravehill - did an amazing job, interacted well with the audience, played a lot of new material with some favorites, and the vocalist recognized me from previous shows.

Wykked Witch - pretty odd-looking goth/black metal bunch with a female vocalist (who constantly made references to her lesbianism) and some pretty decent keyboards.

Sol Asunder - don't remember this band either; I think I was outside at the second stage watching a band whose name I don't remember.

Psycroptic - pretty boring set and not a lot of interest from the crowd. Had some sound problems in the beginning that threw off the schedule for the rest of the bands.

Veil of Maya - also pretty uninteresting; I left to eat for most of their set and the beginning of Decrepit Birth.

Decrepit Birth - quite a fascinating and enjoyable performance. The sound was pretty good and the vocalist did a lot of strange wizard-like movements to the guitarist like he was casting spells.

Samael - amazing! The keyboardist/drummer was fun to watch because he jumped around to the music within his small performance area. The vocalist did some weird dancing and the guitarist and bassist looked incredibly happy to be up there.

Whitechapel - pretty boring. I still don't really get this band and why they're so high up in such a high-profile festival; they aren't anything special and their performance isn't all that interesting.

The Faceless - awesome set, but way too short. Tight, great-sounding performance and lots of energy from the band and the crowd.

Repulsion - really fun set that conjured images of early Slayer with fast-paced, low-fi garage metal and some intense mosh pits. The vocalist/guitarist told some lame jokes between songs and did some puns with the song titles.

Suffocation - probably the best performance of the entire day! The vocalist got sentimental in explaining how much he enjoyed doing what he does and how much he loved L.A., and the band played all of their biggest songs as well as a couple new ones from the upcoming Blood Oath album that sounded pretty good.

Exodus - not all that great; never been a big Exodus fan and the band were getting into minor fights onstage when little things went wrong, and this affected my enjoyment of it.

Carcass - fantastic! They played most of their biggest songs (mostly from Heartwork and Necroticism, and nothing from Reek) and Jeff cracked a lot of politically incorrect jokes between the songs (and also announced that they were resigning to Earache!!!).

Definitely worth it. :kickass: