The current metal scene

If you don't count the American Metal scene (metalcore and the "new wave of american metal") then its going very strong and there is nothing to worry about. I agree that there hasn't been any real classic material released in a few years but a lot of it is very nice anyways.

cookiecutter said:
I think if you discount the popular stuff because that's going to be crap no matter what, metal is thriving.

You think so? Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath? Agalloch?(who are really popular at UM)

Focus on what's "good" has moved away from metal. When someone mentions something they like, more often than not it's the "prog" aspects, acoustic interludes, classical soloing than the metal which makes it good. The actual metal remains boring

InfernoxDeath said:
What are your thought so fthe current metal scene? Is it up to your expectation or just plain boring?
Share your opinion.
Well there have been some good releases lately... but I haven't heard any really GREAT albums since the late 90's.

To be honest, I think that the metal scene is thriving - though the Internet means that the bands are unlikely to be as big as they were in the 80's due to the sheer number of them now...

There's a very healthy scene in Death, Doom and even Thrash - which is nice - and the old bands are reforming and (generally) producing good albums - life couldn't be rosier - especially since in 18 months time dance music will make a huge comeback and take the lions share of scenester fuck-pigs back with it...

MetalNoob said:
There hasn't really been any classic meterial written lately, but there are a good quantity of quality releases, so I say it's been really good.

What is classic now was not considered classic in the 80's. The fact that the material endures to this day is what makes it classic. 20 years from now, stuff that came out in 2006 could be well considered classic to those living in 2026.

For example, when Master of Puppets first came out, nobody called it a classic, instead they just called it a damn killer album. Today we wouldn't call Behemoth's "Demigod" a classic, but most of us would call it a damn killer album. Perhaps in 20 years people will call Demigod a classic.

Susperia said:
You think so? Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath? Agalloch?(who are really popular at UM)

What is popular here isn't necessarily as popular in the majority's opinion in the metal populace as a whole.