The da Vinci Code

NAD

What A Horrible Night To Have A Curse
Jun 5, 2002
Kandarian Ruins
Yeah so I broke down and I'm reading this. First blockbuster novel I've read since Jurassic Park when I was 13, unless you count Harry Potter. Anyhow:
some Amazon dude said:
The post-literate novel, August 4, 2004
Reviewer: Steven Reynolds (Sydney, Australia) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER) (REAL NAME)
Seventy pages into Dan Brown's surprisingly putdownable potboiler, the inevitably green-eyed, French-accented code cracker Sophie Neveu sighs, "This is not American television, Mr Langdon." Oh, Sophie, if only that were true. You know a book owes too much to the screen when an albino assassin appears on the very first page, and rather than taking the time to construct an original variant on the intelligent-action-man hero you're simply instructed to think of Harrison Ford - in tweed. This is a movie, pure and simple: a thinly plotted, strongly visual, mildly entertaining Hollywood chase movie about cardboard characters (replete with sappy childhood flashbacks) and with enough Opus Dei-bashing to make it a fast-acting antidote to "The Passion of the Christ." Crammed full of supposedly arcane revelations about mathematics, religion, symbolism and art - most of which read like verbatim downloads from Google - the "intellectual" content won't be dazzling or new (forget accurate) to anyone even slightly inquisitive about these topics. Worse, it's presented with a juvenile fascination for "connections" that would embarrass the most seasoned New Age charlatan. It all moves at a cracking pace, of course, and has enough scope and colour to hold your rapt attention for a few winter nights, and enough Catholic conspiracy theory to warm the heart of an atheist. But it's so devoid of literary merit, so apparently committed to the squandering of every opportunity to do anything interesting with the material - rather than just ape the narrative grammar of cinema - that it truly beggars belief. The characters are just names on the page, huge swathes of deadpan "I'm glad you asked"-style exposition pad out the clunky plot shifts, and because it's all so closely modeled on the rhythms of Hollywood nothing ever comes as a surprise - not a word, not an image, not a moment. This is post-literate prose at its direst, plugging directly into pre-fabricated scenarios, characters and images, absolving the reader of the need to imagine anything - which is why it's such a famously easy read. This is reality as a simulacrum of television, a copy of a copy, and about as convincing. It's an odd stylistic choice in a novel which takes as its theme the notion that great art depicts truths which evil empires would suppress. My advice? Save your time, and wait for the movie, i.e. wait until this story is presented in its natural form. I'm actually really looking forward to it. Seriously. I quite like the story, I just dislike the way it's presented here. It's fundamentally a puerile novel, but as a Hollywood movie I'm sure I'll be tickled by it. In the mean time, if you want to read the kind of novel this purports to be, get yourself a copy of Umberto Eco's "The Name of the Rose" or, better yet, "Foucault's Pendulum". If those don't grab you, at the very least try Donna Tartt's "The Secret History" - nothing to do with the Grail, but it's certainly more deserving of the "intelligent thriller" label than this. Is there really nothing better to be said for "The Da Vinci Code", as novel? Sadly, I'm with Harrison - I mean Robert: "Langdon considered it a moment, then groaned." (p.93)
I'm 110 pages in, and I'll finish it, but this dude is so god damn right. Last night I thought two things: this is like Indiana Jones but trying to be smart, and I should be reading Foucault's Pendulum instead (it was sitting right next to me). This is lowest common denominator writing, once again proving people still don't know shit about shit. Oh well, at least they're reading.

Cliff notes: I'll be watching Monty Python and the Holy Grail rather than going to see this movie tonight.

the book was pretty damn good ... but the movie has been getting nothing but bad reviews.

Woah, people taking it way too seriously.

That's like people going to see horror movies and screaming at the screen, "hey how'd that man turn into a bat?"

Or watching sci-fi, "hey how are we hearing lasers and explosions when space is a vacuum".

It's just escapism. Good bog reading material.

I make no qualms about being a bit of a snob when it comes to literature, beer, and music. In this case I'm glad Ellestin joins me. :loco:

pvp20060518.gif

NADatar said:
I make no qualms about being a bit of a snob when it comes to literature, beer, and music. In this case I'm glad Ellestin joins me. :loco:

I'm not snobbing anyone but Da Vinci Code is poor popcorn literature. fact. Same can be said of Grangé's books.

What's funny is that when I heard Tom Hanks was to take the lead role I thought "oh man, come ooonnnnnnn..." but now that I'm reading the book it makes perfect sense.

All things come back to suck. :loco:

I never cared too much about quality of writing as long as I loved the story. I guess that'd explain why I kept reading Wheel of Time until even the story fell apart :erk:

IMO quality of writing is as essential to literature as technicality or super clean/smooth production in music. Mind you, what I take out of literature is not what many others do.For me, it has more to do with the events underlying the words than the words themselves. I do love an author with the ability to describe things at length and keep my interest, though.

yeah, i read not to learn but to escape reality for a little while. The riding can be mediocre as long as they create an entertaining and fun world.

I dunno...

I was hooked. I'd sit on the train reading the book, and if the train got delayed, I'd be like, "great, it means I can get a few more pages in!". I just thought it was cool as hell.

And now, around the office, we're all talking about it. So dark the con of man, etc. We're looking at old leonardo da vinci paintings to reference the book.

Did anyone else notice Mary sitting next to Jesus in the last supper? I didn't. I thought it was all the apostles for as long as I can remember.

It's cool how he's weaved in all this stuff, old secret organizations, pagan worship, etc and thrown it into Paris and London, both cool locations.

Look, I read this book and it made me want to go to the Louvre. Shit, I'm going to check out London Temple.

When in Rome. :loco:

Yes the great things with stories that refer to factual places/events is that they make you want to be on the spot, and when you have the chance to get there you're all the more attentive about details, atmosphere etc.

All my youth I've lived like 70 miles away from the Gevaudan area where a mythical & infamous "beast" is supposed to have killed about 100 people in the late XVIIIth century. But I never actually went there and it took the release of "Brothehood of the Wolves" to raise my interest and make me want to discover those (gorgeous) places. And mind you the movie was not even shot on location, but in Paris' close surroundings and Slovakia or something.